Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prescription Drug Question.. Please Advise.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prescription Drug Question.. Please Advise.

Hi guys,

I am 24 years old and I will be starting the testing/application process for police in my current area. Testing is starting in October, and some are in January.. I wanted to ask your opinion on a medication I was perscribed awhile back.

My doctor perscribed me Xanax on 7/03/07 because I went to the doctors telling him I was having some problems sleeping at night and that I was working a ton of hours at work with a combination of martial arts training and was incredibly sore. I was prescrbed a incredibly small dosage (0.5mg) and was told to take half a pill If I needed it. I literally took maybe 3 of them over the course of a couple weeks and and hated how they made me feel. I still have the whole bottle in my cupboard and If havn't got anything refilled or anything.. I just stopped taking them and havn't taken them in like 10 months or so. I have no mental health record issues. No drugs, no speeding tickets.

Would this red flag DQ me from any potential agencies? It's sad because I've really been wanting to pursue this career and this will upset me if I had these meds prescribed and I dont want to even use them. I would throw them out but I would like to prove I never used them really. I would of course list this on my PHS, I wouldn't lie about it.

Thanks for taking the time to read.. stay safe out there.
    Trying to get on in NY...
    PM me if you hear of any upstate NY departments that are giving a civil service test.

First, if this is medication lawfully prescribed to you by your physician, then this is a medical issue and not a background issue. Your BI is not authorized or medically qualified to ask you about, or evaluate your medical history. In addition, the Americans with Disabilities Act prohibits a prospective employer from inquiring about medical issues except in connection with a bona fide offer of employment.

When and if you reach the point that you pass the written, oral, physical agility and background, and score high enough to be offered a job, then you will scheduled for a medical and psych and at this point you will be asked about past medications. Now it will depend on the circumstances of your situation. Having been prescribed Xanax a year ago under the limited circumstances you described shouldn't be a medical disqualifier. OTOH, if it turns out that you really have to take Xanax daily to combat panic attacks, then it could be a medical disqualifier. The department's physician will review your doctor's records, confirm what the drug was prescribed for and that should clear things up in a few minutes.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
      First, if this is medication lawfully prescribed to you by your physician, then this is a medical issue and not a background issue. Your BI is not authorized or medically qualified to ask you about, or evaluate your medical history. In addition, the Americans with Disabilities Act prohibits a prospective employer from inquiring about medical issues except in connection with a bona fide offer of employment.

When and if you reach the point that you pass the written, oral, physical agility and background, and score high enough to be offered a job, then you will scheduled for a medical and psych and at this point you will be asked about past medications. Now it will depend on the circumstances of your situation. Having been prescribed Xanax a year ago under the limited circumstances you described shouldn't be a medical disqualifier. OTOH, if it turns out that you really have to take Xanax daily to combat panic attacks, then it could be a medical disqualifier. The department's physician will review your doctor's records, confirm what the drug was prescribed for and that should clear things up in a few minutes.
      It will come up later. What a lot of employers are doing now-in-days is asking for your medical insurance card (if you have one) and then they pull your medical records with insurer. They will see that you had the prescription and why it was given. You can also go down to the doc's office and get a copy of the doctor's orders and the reasons for giving you a prescription. Cuts out the middle man if you can and just present the documents with the reason why you had the meds.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5388 users online. 305 members and 5083 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X