300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many officers carry...

Airwedges in their patrol cars? I know alot of agencies carry slim jims..

Guess its better this way

1. Do you carry a slim jim?
    2. Do you carry an airwedge?

Thanks

Neither. Unlocking cars is a job for AAA, not the police.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

We have "Big Easys" and all that, since we do our own lock-popping.
      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
      that we are all that stands between
      the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

We used to have Slim-Jims, until a couple of guys trying to unlock doors snagged what they thought was the lock and brought some wires out...

Comment

-----------------
          Last edited by occ; 10-30-2008, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by juicesnn4e2
            due to a lawsuit hungry world, atlanta no longer offeres this service. we'll call u a wrecker though
            We don't offer it either but we usually just call them by their name....
            “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

any dept that still unlocks cars obviously hasen't thought about the insurance angle. when an officer attempts to open a door and damages somthing...who is liable??? there are are a handful of cars that (according to the mauals) shouldn't even try to unlock, is supposed to be towed right to the dealer to have a key made and programmed.

besides, unlocking cars helps keep me employed....just realized I was in "ask a cop". shouldn't post and drink at the same time (capt morgan made me do it)

Comment

We can still unlock cars, but not everyone is trained or equipped to do so. If your kid is inside, I'll stand there and watch the fire department open your car, else if no trained/equipped officer is nearby and available its a tow truck for ya.
                I miss you, Dave.
                http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I've unlocked a lot of cars over the years, but maybe only two or three while on duty. I'll probably still do it on occasion, but only for friends. Earlier this year, I broke a window for the first time (not on purpose) and felt really bad about it. Could've called a locksmith for less than half what it cost for the replacement.

With all the "sue-happy" people in the country nowadays, I wouldn't open a locked car unless someone's life or health was at stake, and then I'd probably just break a window. There are too many different kinds of cars and lock designs on the market now, and I'm not willing to shell out hundreds of dollars to fix someone's car that I tore up while trying to help them for free.

Comment

After years of screwing with slim jims then j-tools and the like, the airwedge and big easy combo is the best thing since sliced bread. All my old tools are collecting dust on a shelf in my basement.

I think that unlocking a car door accrues a bit less liability than, say, driving at high speeds, making arrests etc etc

Comment

We dont carry either here. When I was in the Air Force we used the slim jim and we had them sign a wavier before we touched the car.
                      What Is A Veteran?
                      A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Comment

Yea we had slim jims as well till about 4 years ago. Now we give them the number of our contracted tow service. Though we keep it on hand for when we get locked out of our POVs
                        Dispatch, we have a 9-11, Armed Robbery in progress. Seay's Surplus Store, corner People's Drive and 124th Street.

Comment

Big Easy, but only for children in vehicles and fellow LEO's.
                          Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by juicesnn4e2
                            due to a lawsuit hungry world, atlanta no longer offeres this service. we'll call u a wrecker though
                            Same here.......since the early-90s at least
                            The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

We aren't allowed to open any vehicles unless there is a child locked inside, the engine isn't running, and the child in in danger due to the heat. And then we have to break the window. We do not, under any circumstances, attempt to enter a vehicle except for life threatening emergencies. The fire department will unlock a car with a child in it if the child isn't in danger. Otherwise they have to call a locksmith.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6505 users online. 352 members and 6153 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X