300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TSA Screener Badges!?

How do you all feel about ~45000 shiny, new federal badges being unleashed on the airport screener work force? Screeners are held to 'strict' rules about the use of their new bling but I can't imagine it will be too long before many of you see these in the field (i.e. "I'm on the job man!") They even say 'OFFICER' on them. Two weeks of training on how to screen at an airport and, oh yeah, take this official looking badge too! Sorry if this has been addressed before but it just seems like a recipe for disaster!

Yeppers...we even have bets on WHO it's going to be!
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Anybody for a pool on how long it's going to take for one of them to make the headlines for impersonating a LEO, or getting shot for flashing tin at the wrong time?
      "Martyr" - just a fancy word for "crappy fighter"

Comment

They get two weeks of training? Most of them don't seem like they had two minutes of training.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Are they getting a badge and some sort of credentials? Or just a badge?
          It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Well, I can think of other agencies that may get badges including fire departments, EMS agencies, forest rangers and park rangers who are non-LE, dog catchers, non-LE jailers, etc. Back home, the housing authority, which was stricly administrative, had badges. When I dispatched briefly I was given a deputy sheriff badge that was identical to all of the sworn guys even though I had no training or certifications at the time. A lot of agencies hand out badges. Is it right? Who's to say? It depends on the mentality of the person obtaining it and what they plan to do with it. Maybe TSA is getting rid of the goofy looking patch they have on their shirts and instead getting a pin-on. I'm not defending anything. I'm only typing out of boredom.

Comment

I always ask for ID when I see the tin.
              Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Oh great....

Whatever the case though....security have always had badges, some of them even better looking than some LE depts etc.

There will always be times where some of these yahoos may use one of these and act LE.

When I worked private security for a more proactive company, we were issued badges and were required to be certified for our armed guard cards and be armed. To this day, I really believe some of these security guards/officers really need to take a psych. before even getting armed. We had badges only for the superiors etc. and I never carried it, it was always in my pocket and maybe put it on for the local Circle K to use the restroom, they never asked....just assumed I was LEO. (Circle K's in arizona let LEO's use restrooms but off limits to the public for a lot of them.)

When I sarcastically mentioned that security should be screened in a psych.....the owner of the security company I used to work for promptly replied without hesitating.....
                pfff, than I wouldn't have anyone to work for me!

Comment

"It puts the lotion in the see-through 1quart ziploc bag!"

Comment

Originally posted by 11Bto5-0 View Post
                    Anybody for a pool on how long it's going to take for one of them to make the headlines for impersonating a LEO, or getting shot for flashing tin at the wrong time?
                    Having worked near an Airport....guess what....?? Most of them were already trying to flash PATCHES or some sort of ID (Airport badges hanging from the mirror) to ID themselves as LEOs and try to get Officer Discretion ......

One even had a TSA patch in his wallet and made sure to flash it as he was pulling his DL and Insurance out.....

In my neck of the woods.....they were a done deal if anything revolving TSA came out of their mouths on a stop......

One of my favorite arrest warrants came when I was called by some of my Airport LEO buddies telling me that they knew of a screener that had a decent warrant for her arrest......but they were told by management not to arrest until she was off-duty........

I showed up, validated the warrant with my dispactch, and with a Trooper buddy of mine......plus my Airport LEO buddies...found her at her checkpoint and arrested her........

TSA folks screamed bloody murder but the Sheriff told them to go fly a kite....and she was booked and held on 5K for bad checks.......

Nothing like dragging a screener through an Airport.....while she's in cuffs....with TSA Management running behind you trying to get you to let her go.......

Airport boys got a good asschewing because their management knew they ratted her out.....but they sucked it up and drove on......

Comment

Originally posted by JI603 View Post
                      "It puts the lotion in the see-through 1quart ziploc bag!"
                      HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
                      "Martyr" - just a fancy word for "crappy fighter"

Comment

Yup, they give those clowns real badges because they look more "professional", yet our guys get to hide their real badges in their wallet when we got new shirts with badge patches. Go figure.
                        Last edited by yellowreef; 10-12-2008, 11:17 AM.
                        "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

I had a screener make me do the stand in the foot prints and get wanded thing, which I understand and do not mind. However, one of the screeners started to walk away with my personal belongings (wallet, watch, ring, money and such.) I immeadiately stopped the wanding and told the walk away to return my belongings, cause he wasn't going anywhere with my badge and ID. He started to give me a load of crap until a Philly airport officer walked up, handed me my stuff and proceeded to chew the ***** off the screeners.

I am all for security, but some take thing to the extreme and have little or no recourse for being *****H01es
                          Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                            One even had a TSA patch in his wallet and made sure to flash it as he was pulling his DL and Insurance out.....:rolleyes
                            He flashed a PATCH at you? And had it in his wallet??? Please tell me you're exaggerating.....Please?

He would have gotten a pass from me...only because I can't write when I'm laughing so hard that I'm crying.
                            “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

Originally posted by MCAPO View Post
                              (Circle K's in arizona let LEO's use restrooms but off limits to the public for a lot of them.)
                              Quick Trip is better.......

The top of the Badge should read "Certified Shoe Inspector"
                              -918-

Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness. James 3:18

Clinging to my guns and religion since 1975

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3921 users online. 216 members and 3705 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X