300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stay a reserve or pursue career in LE

Im 36 and i graduated from a LE program in Mn passed my post exam and ready to go. The cop jobs in mn are very competive so its been a struggle over the last year. I started working security at a hospital that acually pays well and good benefits ($15-$20/hr it also has the same pay structure as LE double time on holidays with double time and a half in certain situations and endless amounts of goodlooking nurses.We also carry tasers and batons and rumble often with drunks and psych's. Im also a reserve on my local pd which i love doing, were very busy with lots of war stories for the reserves.
    IM now just wondering if i should continue my pursuit in LE and deal with stress all the responsibilities and all the other issues that come with being in LE.
    I really love being a reserve and with my security gig at the hosptial its like best of both worlds kinda thing. The thing that bothers me is that I spent alot of money and put alot of work to make it through school and all the tactical training only to work in security? I feel like im just settling or limiting myself?
    What would all you experianced officers think if you were in this point in your life

Originally posted by bto35 View Post
    Im 36 and i graduated from a LE program in Mn passed my post exam and ready to go. The cop jobs in mn are very competive so its been a struggle over the last year. I started working security at a hospital that acually pays well and good benefits ($15-$20/hr it also has the same pay structure as LE double time on holidays with double time and a half in certain situations and endless amounts of goodlooking nurses.We also carry tasers and batons and rumble often with drunks and psych's. Im also a reserve on my local pd which i love doing, were very busy with lots of war stories for the reserves.
    IM now just wondering if i should continue my pursuit in LE and deal with stress all the responsibilities and all the other issues that come with being in LE.
    I really love being a reserve and with my security gig at the hosptial its like best of both worlds kinda thing. The thing that bothers me is that I spent alot of money and put alot of work to make it through school and all the tactical training only to work in security? I feel like im just settling or limiting myself?
    What would all you experianced officers think if you were in this point in your life
    Does the security job at the hospital have retirement? Also, how is the benefits for it?

One of the biggest gripes I had when I used to work in the private sector in security is that if I stayed in a job like that no matter how great it was (and it was far from great) it would hold me back from being a LEO if I never put up the effort to "advance" myself. I went through 4 years with a degree only to find myself in the heart of Maryvale/Phoenix trying to comprehend with drunks, no backup, almost zero health benefits and maybe if I was lucky, a carwash if I had gotten shot or killed?

36 is nothing......there are rookies in my dept. that are about that age and there was one 41 year old who graduated from academy last month. Of course, he and a lot are probably not going to hit the field right away or they may just stay at the office...whatever you choose I guess.

Don't let anything hold you back from being a LEO...if that's your dream or the job you want....I say go for it all the way!

Comment

While 36 is "young" IMHO, it's pushing the age limit at which many agencies will consider you. Along with my colleague, I wonder what type of retirement benefits your current gig provides you with. You sound pretty happy with your current job, and normally I'd say, "stay there". I retired almost three years ago. Looking back, a thirty eight year LE career went by pretty fast. My point is, take a good look at where you are, vs. where you want to be when you hit retirement age. After all the views and advice you'll get, it's still going to be your call. Best of luck, and be careful!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4683 users online. 307 members and 4376 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X