300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Investigators...... Background Investigation

I was wondering how long I should expect a background investigation to take?

The last time I went through one, I didn't really even know when it began but this time around, I went in for a background interview with an investigator a week ago. I have not heard of them contacting anyone on my questionairre yet.

Just wondering what's typical on time...

Thanks
    "Rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior but for evil behavior. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same." ~~ God

Depending on who is doing it and how thorough they are.. a couple weeks to 18 months.

Comment

Remember, even though you pass the background, you may not get hired right away.

Backgrounds are done in anticipation of vacancies arising (someone quitting, retiring, getting fired, promoted, etc.) Because law enforcement agencies are only budgeted to employ a certain number of people at any one time, a new person is usually not hired until someone vacates a position, otherwise, there is no money to pay the new person's salary. So, even if your background is done, you still need to wait for a vacancy before you are hired.

Even when there is a vacancy, sometime hiring is delayed until enough backgrounds are done to fill an entire academy class. (No point in having a bunch of untrained people sitting around collecting wages when you can't put them out on the streets yet.)

Additionally, once your background is done, the medical and psych should follow. They take time as well, so assuming you pass everything, it's still going to be a while before your appointment date.

You have just learned you first lesson as a new government employee - Everything eventually collapses into place.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Your neighbors can expect to be questioned. What are you like, are you loud?
        Do the police come to your house? Do you drink in public? Do you have a dog and do you clean up after it? Are your trashcans blowing around after a storm or do you secure them?
        Some of those questions I can see but trashcans? I can certainly see if there has been a disturbance at your house by asking for a history from the local police. Asking neighbors their opinion of you is okay.
        I guess if someone gives a bad review saying that the applicant is an idiot and admits you illegally parking your car, the investigator can see that the person is biased against them by complaining about the trashcans or cars or whatever.
        It's always good to be friends with your neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by Driven View Post
          I was wondering how long I should expect a background investigation to take?
          It depends on how dirty you are.

Just kidding.

It depends on how desperate the department is, how lazy/overzealous the investigator is, and if one of the higher-ups friends or relatives is trying for the same spot.
          "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

Originally posted by 10-31Mike View Post
            It depends on how dirty you are.

Just kidding.

It depends on how desperate the department is, how lazy/overzealous the investigator is, and if one of the higher-ups friends or relatives is trying for the same spot.
            I'm wonder about this
            Last edited by Driven; 04-27-2011, 02:41 PM.
            "Rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior but for evil behavior. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same." ~~ God

Comment

Originally posted by Driven View Post
              This is exactly what I'm concerned with in this case.
              Start collecting applications then. Just make sure you put the same information on all of them.

If you're a red apple and he's a green apple, and all they're looking for is an apple, he's going to get the job and there's nothing you can do about it.

On the plus side, if it's that kind of place, you don't want to work there anyway.
              "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

First department a few months, second department six months, third department six months.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6234 users online. 328 members and 5906 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X