300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on defense measures...

I'm moving into an apartment complex in Dallas that is known to have car break-ins and muggings all around the area. It is not a gated complex either.

For starters, I won't be leaving anything of any value in my car. My main concern is getting from my car to my apartment, specifically if I'm getting home at night.

I'm 18 so I can't purchase a handgun, but I am considering looking into buying either a tazer or pepper spray (assuming I legally can).

Any advice on what I should do would be appreciated.

Thanks
    When talking to a fool, be sure he isn't doing the same.

First, I'd have both. Second obviously, try parking as close as possible to your apt. & under a light if possible. Before you even get out of your car, take a few seconds & look around --- if you see someone or something odd, go with your gut instinct. Have a plan onwhat you'd do IF something happened --plan escape routes,know the area & where you can go if necessary. Also body language itself helps. When you get out of your car have your keys in hand, walk purposely to your apt & if you pass someone, look at & remember his face --it may be necessary & there are statistics that substantiate muggers avoid individuals that appear to have a determined "air" about them.

Comment

Rethink your move! Why subject yourself and your property knowing there is ALREADY a problem. Your property is replaceable, your life is not. With the economy the way it is...people are becoming more brazen when it comes to committing crimes. Just my 2 cents.
      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

+1 on the above.......try looking elsewhere for an apt......
        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Umm.

Don't move there?

I know. It's the only place you can afford so you're not going to listen to that one. Too easy.

Get a big dog and take it everywhere with you. Let me guess no pets allowed or you're allergic.

Ok. The best thing you can do is:

Pay attention to your envrionment. If you see a bunch of criminals (or even one) hanging out between your car and your apartment, keep driving.

Still there when you get back? Drive around some more (be sure not to run out of gas).

You could also try acting crazy. Talk to yourself, make gestures to the air, leave your zipper down and your shirt half-tucked.

Personally, I'd move. And I'd do some better research next time.

In closing, and opening of another 12oz can of goodness, the best thing you can use to protect yourself is your eyes and brain.
          "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

be sure you carry a flashlight. not only will it help you find your way, in the event you end up running into an unlit area, but it can be utilized to distract/disorient your attacker. not good for an only tool, but good WITH your other one (pepper, tazer, etc).

small lights are more likely to be carried and not left behind when you're in a hurry, lazy, or carrying somethingelse. larger lights can double as impact weapons. whichever you choose, GET ONE.

Comment

Do you absolutely have to live in this particular complex? OK, it's in a high crime area, muggings, thefts, are common. Why live there? Certainly, there's no such thing as a perfectly safe location, but some are safer than others. Personal safety, and the ability/willingness to defend one's self are always valid considerations. That said, why live in an area where you're likely to have to do it on a regular basis?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4173 users online. 243 members and 3930 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X