300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kansas City vehicle satutes

Hey sorry to keep bothering all you officers about modified vehicles but I am going to be moving up to Kansas city by the end of september and was wondering what all the modified vehicle laws are up there. I tried a search on google but all that came back was stupid websites with no answers. If some one could please direct me to a link with all the laws on customizing vehicles that would be great, I really need to know to determain if I should keep my car or just sell it.

Which Kansas City? Kansas City, Kansas or Kansas City Missouri?

Comment

Originally posted by wirefire2 View Post
      Which Kansas City? Kansas City, Kansas or Kansas City Missouri?
      Kansas City Kansas

Comment

What kind of mods do you have?

Also if you look on the State of Kansas website you can sift through the vehicle code yourself but I have no problem assisting as I may know for what terms to look for in the code book.

Statue search engine provided by the state legislature.

http://www.kslegislature.org/legsrv-statutes/index.do

Comment

What kind of mods do you have?

Also if you look on the State of Kansas website you can sift through the vehicle code yourself but I have no problem assisting as I may know for what terms to look for in the code book.

Statue search engine provided by the state legislature.

http://www.kslegislature.org/legsrv-statutes/index.do
          The current mods that I am worried about are.
          Big cam in the motor
          Turbo (modifies both intake and exhaust)
          Custom built 2.5 piping with a high flow cat.(Still has muffler only a little louder then stock)
          Lowered 2.5" to 3" inches from factory
          Aftermarket lights do not know if they are dot certified
          20% window tint (I can peel this off not worried about that)
          Flip out tv monitour in drivers field of vission.(Dosent play movies or anything while ebrake is down.)
          The amplifer behind me seats lights up blue when turned on.

Here are some pictures of the car.

As you can see it's pretty low it has adjustible suspension thoe so all I have to do is jack it up and twist some things.

As you can see my exhaust dosent look modified from the rear.

This is the flip out

This is the amplifier it dosent light up bright blue just has accents under the lettering and on the heat shrinks.

And this is the motor you can tell its got work just by looking at it.

Comment

Originally posted by 95_Del_SOl View Post
            The current mods that I am worried about are.
            Big cam in the motor
            Turbo (modifies both intake and exhaust)
            Custom built 2.5 piping with a high flow cat.(Still has muffler only a little louder then stock)
            Lowered 2.5" to 3" inches from factory
            Aftermarket lights do not know if they are dot certified
            20% window tint (I can peel this off not worried about that)
            Flip out tv monitour in drivers field of vission.(Dosent play movies or anything while ebrake is down.)
            The amplifer behind me seats lights up blue when turned on.
            I noticed the speaker next to the air intake, what is that used for?

First off the you might have a double fault with the lights. There should be DOT stamp on them that says they are certified or you can look them on the net and see if the manufacturer states they meet DOT specs. But Kansas has headlight height requirement...

Article 17.--UNIFORM ACT REGULATING TRAFFIC; EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES

8-1705. Head lamps on motor vehicles.
            (a) Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with at least two (2) head lamps with at least one (1) on each side of the front of the motor vehicle, which head lamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in this article.

(b) Every head lamp upon every motor vehicle manufactured or assembled after July 1, 1959, shall be located at a height of not more than fifty-four (54) inches nor less than twenty-four (24) inches to be measured as set forth in subsection (b) of K.S.A. 8-1704.

Generally you can measure from the center of the actual lamp to get the correct height. Also by reading through the other statues it looks like 1000ft of visibility is the standard for headlights and taillights.

As for your blue speaker light, the state uses red lights as the designated color for emergency vehicles and it has to be flashing.

8-1720. Lamps and lights on authorized emergency vehicles; alternately or simultaneously flashing head lamps. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), every authorized emergency vehicle, in addition to any other equipment required by this act, shall be equipped with signal lamps mounted as high and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, which shall be capable of displaying to the front two alternately flashing red lights located at the same level and to the rear two alternately flashing red lights located at the same level, or in lieu thereof, any such authorized emergency vehicle shall be equipped with at least one rotating or oscillating light, which shall be mounted as high as practicable on such vehicle and which shall display to the front and rear of such vehicle a flashing red light or alternate flashes of red and white lights or red and blue lights in combination.

Something you might add in the future...

8-1723. Additional lighting equipment permitted; neon ground effect lighting; lead vehicle of funeral procession. (a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two side cowl or fender lamps which shall emit an amber or white light without glare.

(f) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with neon ground effect lighting, except that such lighting shall not flash, be any shade of red nor shall any portion of the neon tubes be visible. "Neon ground effect lighting" means neon tubes placed underneath the motor vehicle for the purpose of illuminating the ground below the motor vehicle creating a halo light effect.

That's actually pretty awesome you can use any color except red, and who wants to see the tubes anyway?

8-1739. Mufflers and noise suppressing systems. (a) Every vehicle shall be equipped, maintained and operated so as to prevent excessive or unusual noise. Every motor vehicle at all times shall be equipped with a muffler or other effective noise suppressing system in good working order and in constant operation, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, bypass or similar device.

(b) The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

As long as there is no bypass or a cutout then you shouldn't have any problems unless its really loud.

Window tint.....

8-1749a. One-way glass and sun screening devices; requirements; penalties. (a) No motor vehicle required to be registered in this state and which is operated on the highways of this state shall be equipped with one-way glass or any sun screen device, as defined in K.S.A. 8-1749b, and used in conjunction with safety glazing materials that do not meet the following requirements:

(1) A sun screening device when used in conjunction with the windshield shall be nonreflective and shall not be red, yellow or amber in color. A sun screening device shall be used only along the top of the windshield and shall not extend downward beyond the AS1 line which is clearly defined and marked;

(2) a sun screening device when used in conjunction with the safety glazing materials of the side wings or side windows located at the immediate right and left of the driver, the side windows behind the driver and the rear most window shall be nonreflective; and

(3) the total light transmission shall not be less than 35% when a sun screening device is used in conjunction with safety glazing materials or other existing sun screening devices.

(b) The superintendent of the highway patrol may adopt such rules and regulations necessary to carry out the provisions of subsection (a).

(c) This section shall not prohibit labels, stickers or other informational signs that are required or permitted by state law.

(d) No motor vehicle required to be registered in this state which is operated on the highways of this state shall be equipped with head lamps which are covered with any sun screen device, adhesive film or other glaze or application which, when such lamps are not in operation, is highly reflective or otherwise nontransparent.

(e) (1) From and after July 1, 1987, and prior to January 1, 1988, a law enforcement officer shall issue a warning citation to any person violating the provisions of this section.

(2) From and after January 1, 1988, any person convicted of violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

I did not see anything on the turbo or the cam, the only thing mentioned was something about engine brakes which I doubt that little car has.
            Last edited by wirefire2; 08-29-2008, 07:15 PM.

Comment

I noticed the speaker next to the air intake, what is that used for?
              It is used for a little alarm box thingy that makes noises just a little novelty that I have on there for when I go on charity cruises and car shows the kids love it lol.

My lights are under 24" there 22.5" and I have a bright red car so I might raise that up so I don't get alot of attention. Thanks for all the help and I don't plan on any neon lol but it is cool that I can add any color I want except red. Thanks for all your help all the things are bad are pretty easy to change so I guess I'll keep it. I don't know what the street race scene is up there thoe so I don't know the comon modified vehicles but I can still guess this is going to be a targeted vehicle.
              Last edited by 95_Del_SOl; 08-29-2008, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Any one else know any laws regarding the motor work?

Comment

You should really be worried about the fact that you're spending thousands of dollars on a (stupid) car and not saving for a house or investing for the future.

Really. It's a stupid car to get from point a to point b. It will only lose value and the muffler probably sounds stupid.

Save your (parents) money and get a house.

Thank me later.
                  "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

Originally posted by 10-31Mike View Post
                    You should really be worried about the fact that you're spending thousands of dollars on a (stupid) car and not saving for a house or investing for the future.

Really. It's a stupid car to get from point a to point b. It will only lose value and the muffler probably sounds stupid.

Save your (parents) money and get a house.

Thank me later.
                    Thanks Mike for your opinion I havent spent alot on this car total cost of this car is $3000 including price of the car. The muffler sounds good I can get a sound clip if you would like. Some people enjoy working on cars I myself have done most of the work on this car only stuff I havent done is the things I don't have the tools for. It's the same as spending thousands on tvs, guns, etc. You don't need them but they make you happy so you spend money on them.
                    Oh btw most of my money goes into savings and the 25% that dosent gets split between fun and my car.
                    -Paul
                    Last edited by 95_Del_SOl; 08-30-2008, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 95_Del_SOl View Post
                      Thanks Mike for your opinion I havent spent alot on this car total cost of this car is $3000 including price of the car. The muffler sounds good I can get a sound clip if you would like. Some people enjoy working on cars I myself have done most of the work on this car only stuff I havent done is the things I don't have the tools for. It's the same as spending thousands on tvs, guns, etc. You don't need them but they make you happy so you spend money on them.
                      Oh btw most of my money goes into savings and the 25% that dosent gets split between fun and my car.
                      -Paul
                      Ok, Ok. You can have your car, I have the internet. We all have to have our fun.

I have to give all of my money to my wife anyway.

I was trying to do one of those intervention things. Here's the real scoop. Do whatever you want to your car. Really, anything. As long as you don't drive stupid in public, annoy everyone around, or put some stupid neon lights all over the place, MOST cops won't give you a second glance.

I don't care how modified, jacked up, lowered, bored-out (I learned that from an old red-neck friend), or covered in stripes it is. We have better things to do.

But if you drive on the street like it's a playground you're going to get hammered with every violation we can find.

I have no idea what the codes are there. I have no idea what the codes are here. Use common sense, don't draw attention to yourself, don't put the general public (meaning my wife and kids) in danger, and you have nothing to worry about.

DISCLAIMER: There's always the ONE guy that will pull you over and charge you anyway. So read the codes. If you get a ticket you're on you're own.

P.S. in 15 years you'll feel the same way I do, plus you'll be too tired to worry about these things. You've been warned, enjoy it while you can.
                      "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

Originally posted by 10-31Mike View Post
                        Ok, Ok. You can have your car, I have the internet. We all have to have our fun.

I have to give all of my money to my wife anyway.

I was trying to do one of those intervention things. Here's the real scoop. Do whatever you want to your car. Really, anything. As long as you don't drive stupid in public, annoy everyone around, or put some stupid neon lights all over the place, MOST cops won't give you a second glance.

I don't care how modified, jacked up, lowered, bored-out (I learned that from an old red-neck friend), or covered in stripes it is. We have better things to do.

But if you drive on the street like it's a playground you're going to get hammered with every violation we can find.

I have no idea what the codes are there. I have no idea what the codes are here. Use common sense, don't draw attention to yourself, don't put the general public (meaning my wife and kids) in danger, and you have nothing to worry about.

DISCLAIMER: There's always the ONE guy that will pull you over and charge you anyway. So read the codes. If you get a ticket you're on you're own.

P.S. in 15 years you'll feel the same way I do, plus you'll be too tired to worry about these things. You've been warned, enjoy it while you can.
                        I see your point of view with the kids and wife I personally have 4 nieces and the oldest is 8 now and they live were a bunch of people drive crazy, I personally hate when people speed I originally planned to take this car to the drag strip by my house but after I did all the mods they said I couldent because of the removable top and no roll bar My friends hate me since I drive so slow, I drive only above 5mph on the highway and when I'm in neighborhoods I creep at around 20 just incase any one jumps out I don't want to be the bad guy and hit some ones kid or parent.

Comment

Chapter 8.--AUTOMOBILES AND OTHER VEHICLES

8-1739. Mufflers and noise suppressing systems. (a) Every vehicle shall be equipped, maintained and operated so as to prevent excessive or unusual noise. Every motor vehicle at all times shall be equipped with a muffler or other effective noise suppressing system in good working order and in constant operation, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, bypass or similar device.

(b) The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

I will guarantee you this will get you stopped, by me, by others in my agency, and by other agency's in this area. If you don't "blend in" with other traffic and your muffler is louder than all other traffic, you will get stopped. If you "hammer down" and I can hear you a ways away, you will be stopped.

As for the tint, that Statute has already been posted (8-1749a), you would be stopped for that. However, that can only be enforced on vehicles registered in the state of KS, which leads me to another subject. You have 30 days to register your vehicle upon moving to this state. You will need to take it to a VIN Inspection Office to have it inspected prior to getting your registration.

On another note, I sure hope your alarm works good, ESPECIALLY if you are moving into KCK. Good luck keeping wheels and windows on it.

Anyways, I hope your trip to KCK is good, and welcome to the DOT.....

Comment

Originally posted by biw371 View Post
                            Chapter 8.--AUTOMOBILES AND OTHER VEHICLES

I will guarantee you this will get you stopped, by me, by others in my agency, and by other agency's in this area. If you don't "blend in" with other traffic and your muffler is louder than all other traffic, you will get stopped. If you "hammer down" and I can hear you a ways away, you will be stopped.

As for the tint, that Statute has already been posted (8-1749a), you would be stopped for that. However, that can only be enforced on vehicles registered in the state of KS, which leads me to another subject. You have 30 days to register your vehicle upon moving to this state. You will need to take it to a VIN Inspection Office to have it inspected prior to getting your registration.

On another note, I sure hope your alarm works good, ESPECIALLY if you are moving into KCK. Good luck keeping wheels and windows on it.

Anyways, I hope your trip to KCK is good, and welcome to the DOT.....

I'm glad to see the cops up there are pretty strick I hate really loud cars lol mines not stock but it's not crazy. What do you mean I have to take it to a vin inspection office? I know for a fact this motor is not the original motor in it, it came with the car so I don't have any paper work on it will that make my life miserable should I get a note from the owner before me saying the motor was legally purchased I have come to find out I'm not actually moving into the city itself but a town right by there starts with a e lol
                            Last edited by 95_Del_SOl; 09-03-2008, 11:04 PM.

Comment

ttt need some info on what a vin inspection office is.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4741 users online. 275 members and 4466 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X