300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meth

We watched a video in the academy the other night dealing with meth in America. I have a couple questions regarding the topic. Is it a big problem where you are located? What are some of the proactive measures you take to combat the manufacturing of it? If a pharmacy calls about 10 packages of sudafed being stolen what is your agencies reaction to it? It seems as if it is more popular in rural areas, is that true?

Nope Phoenix has a huge problem with it....our guys have to be specially trained to go into a house, apt, whatever to first get the evidence and then impound it. When I was working the north side of Phoenix I'd run across people who'd used it recently and there's a unique body odor that people who use it have....I can't describe it but I'd always point it out to the new guys who haven't dealt with it.

Comment

mth is a nationwide problem. yes, it's more prevalent in rural areas but big cities have been hit by it as well.
      Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Pretty bad where Im at....the people who use it smell like chemicals and week old body odor. If you find someone walkin around late at night its usually because they are high trying to find something to get into....this junk will keep them up for days on end.
        "When I came home, people often asked me about Iraq, and mostly I told them it wasn't so bad. I didn't know how to explain myself to them. The war really wasn't so bad. Yes, there were bombs and shootings and nervous times, but that was just the job. In fact, going to war is rather easy. You react to situations around you and try not to die. There are no electric bills or car payments or chores around the house. Just go to work, come home alive, and do it again tomorrow." - Brian Mockenhaupt

Comment

Originally posted by Pauliegolf10 View Post
          Is it a big problem where you are located?
          Yes.
          What are some of the proactive measures you take to combat the manufacturing of it?
          There are a variety of investigative tools used to combat it. It would take far too long to explain here, and would compromise operational security to discusss specific investigative techniques.

Also, in our area domestic meth labs are not the major source anymore. Most of the meth we are seeing comes from "super labs" outside the country and is smuggled in just like cocaine, heroin, etc. That being said, due to the dangers created by labs we are aggressive in addressing any lab in the area, no matter how small it may be.
          It seems as if it is more popular in rural areas, is that true?
          Not in my experience. I work now, and have worked in the past, in large urban areas, and meth has always been a huge problem. Certain methods of cooking meth are more popular in rural areas due to the availability of certain materials used in the cooking method(s).

Comment

The weird thing is that we're not seeing any meth over here (in England). Heroin, cocaine, crack, amphet, MDMA, skunk - more than you can shake a stick at. But no meth. We've had years of presentations on meth along the lines "Get ready, coz this is going to be really big" but it just hasn't happened. Odd, given the stuff is, I understand, incredibly easy to produce. And it's not as though English addicts are more picky than anyone else - ketamine (an animal tranq) is pretty popular over here.

Anyone got any thoughts on why we've escaped so far?
            I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Corner. View Post
              The weird thing is that we're not seeing any meth over here (in England). Heroin, cocaine, crack, amphet, MDMA, skunk - more than you can shake a stick at. But no meth. We've had years of presentations on meth along the lines "Get ready, coz this is going to be really big" but it just hasn't happened. Odd, given the stuff is, I understand, incredibly easy to produce. And it's not as though English addicts are more picky than anyone else - ketamine (an animal tranq) is pretty popular over here.

Anyone got any thoughts on why we've escaped so far?
              Maybe British addicts are smarter than American ones. Actual quote from a crackhead when asked if he had any methamphetamine on him : "Man only poor uneducated white trash are stupid enough to use that S***!"
              Last edited by vsp645; 08-31-2008, 11:21 PM. Reason: miss spelled

Comment

Is it a big problem where you are located?
                Yeap.....Missouri is Meth Capital of the US.... It's gotten a little better since the State passed some laws to combat it....but now we are getting Mexican Meth up I-35.....

What are some of the proactive measures you take to combat the manufacturing of it?

The State of Missouri passed a host of laws over the last couple of years...to include: Limiting the amount of pills you can buy per purchase, placing your name in a computer data base that other Pharmacy's and LE can use to see who is buying what and how much, making tougher sentencing laws, and stuff like that....

If a pharmacy calls about 10 packages of sudafed being stolen what is your agencies reaction to it?

We would go out and trying have a chat with the folks that bought the stuff...

It seems as if it is more popular in rural areas, is that true?
                I think so.....since there are other ways to make Meth and the ingredents are more likely to be found in a rural setting as opposed to a city setting....

As stated, most of our meth is starting to come out of Mexico.....and is being dealt by folks buying it from them.....

Comment

Our biggest problem is cocaine and pills, we do see meth but not often.

Comment

Meth here is the "hard" drug of choice it seems.

We are in a very rural area though, and you can cook the stuff in any uninhabited barn/building out here and no one would be the wiser til it caught fire or something like that.

As far as proactive stuff - task forces were set up within counties to try and combat the meth problem, and from what I've seen, it has made a big difference. Also, the aforementioned limits on over the counter drugs used in the making of methamphetamine has helped from what I understand. There have also been many laws concerning one of the primary ingrediants (which i won't mention, though if you ask around, it won't be hard to find out what it is) transportation, acquisition, and general handling, have made penalties more severe against the meth cooks.

Educating the populace has apparently helped out also - it appears people are starting to see the long term effects of meth usage and though it may be too late for those that have been using it for a while, the effects seem to be deterring people away from it.
                    Last edited by Linkshinter; 09-04-2008, 01:51 AM. Reason: Forgot some stuff
                    Officer Down Memorial Page

Comment

Originally posted by Linkshinter View Post
                      We are in a very rural area though, and you can cook the stuff in any uninhabited barn/building out here and no one would be the wiser til it caught fire or something like that.
                      Yeap.....same up North......depending on how you are cooking things....

Have they looked at passing any new anhydrous laws...?

Comment

I know what you mean about the limits on some of the ingredients. In the movie the laid it all out on how to make it and what it takes to make it. Watching that I couldn't imagine ever trying it. My wife takes one of the medicines used in making it; she has to go through an act of congress to get it anymore.

Has anyone seen the public service ads in Minnesota? They seem like they are really graphic in explaining what meth can do to you. Also the corrections officer that started the Faces of Meth Website is really laying out the effects of this drug.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4403 users online. 253 members and 4150 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X