300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does coast guard count?

Does the coast guard count as military experience?

Service in the Coast Guard is military service. If you enter a hiring process where Veteran's Preferences are allowed, Coast Guard service counts in the same manner as service in any other Armed Forces branch.

Comment

ok because on some nj police apps it only lists navy,army,marines,air force,same with federal apps

Comment

Originally posted by dd92607 View Post
        If you were underpaid, ill-equiped, and treated like crap: Yes
        "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a military branch of the United States involved in maritime law, mariner assistance, and search and rescue, among other duties of coast guards elsewhere. One of the seven uniformed services of the United States, and the smallest armed service of the United States, its stated mission is to protect the public, the environment, and the United States economic and security interests in any maritime region in which those interests may be at risk, including international waters and America's coasts, ports, and inland waterways
          Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by 10-31Mike View Post
            LMAO!

Comment

Originally posted by ROSchwoe
              Coast Guard is a branch of the military, so yes, it counts.
              Negative... the Coast Guard is a branch of Home Land Security. However it traditionally is military service (as it is organized with a naval rank structure) but does not fall under the department of defense. You get the same benefits and VA stuff as the other branches but it is technically federal law enforcement.

Comment

Originally posted by ROSchwoe
                You're splitting hairs. Coast Guard is most certainly a branch of the military. I never wrote that they were a branch of the Defense Department (I work for DoD, so I'm familiar with that fact ), however they do report to Department of Navy when serving in a deployed mission in a war zone. I also know they don't have a staff position with the Joint Chiefs at the Pentagon, but they don't need one since they don't fall under the defense department. As a matter of fact, the Navy is opening up entry into the Navy SEALs for Coastguardsmen, which in the past was open only to those in the Navy. In addition, they're eligible for veterans benefits, fall under the UCMJ, wear the uniform of a military branch, etc. If you want more education regarding the USCG's role in supporting DoD efforts, read this: http://www.uscg.mil/top/missions/defense.asp

And while USCG does engage in law enforcement (as do each branch of service if you count military police, masters at arms, and investigators with Army CID, NCIS and OSI), that's far from everything they do (to include port security, search and rescue, etc.).
                But all the USCG does is essentially law enforcement. Like I said before they have military tradition and have to play by the same rules but they are not combat oriented (use big guns to make things go boom) and that's the big difference. Now personally I have nothing against the USCG and even tried to enlist with them at one point but was not medically qualified. After speaking with their own recruiters they considered themselves more federal law enforcement than a branch of the military.

Also the other branches engagement in law enforcement is self containing, they don't go out and actively try to apprehend drug runners in the gulf or nail DUI boaters on the great lakes. The USCG makes a concentrated effort in patrolling US waterways and ports to catch bad guys doing bad things.
                Last edited by wirefire2; 08-29-2008, 07:39 PM.

Comment

But all the USCG does is essentially law enforcement.
                  Um, that is not true. You should try to do some research on them before you promote what they do and don't do. I was in the Coast Guard. I think it makes me just a hair above you in knowing what I am talking about. Maybe not much but none the less. Check out www.gocoastguard.com and do a search on google. You will find a plethora of information.

I'm not down playing your opinions or being mean. I am truly sorry if you feel I was. But however, I have a DD-214 that says I was honorably discharged from the UNITED STATES MILITARY. Okay it may not say that, but you know what I mean.

Stay safe.
                  Nemo me impune lacessit.

Comment

From a Former Coastie

Originally posted by dd92607 View Post
                    I received a DD214 when I left the USCG, oh year it is military service.

Comment

Originally posted by 10-31Mike View Post
                      You must have served as well!!

Comment

You have got to kidding me

Comment

Originally posted by wirefire2 View Post
                          But all the USCG does is essentially law enforcement. Like I said before they have military tradition and have to play by the same rules but they are not combat oriented (use big guns to make things go boom) and that's the big difference. Now personally I have nothing against the USCG and even tried to enlist with them at one point but was not medically qualified. After speaking with their own recruiters they considered themselves more federal law enforcement than a branch of the military.

Also the other branches engagement in law enforcement is self containing, they don't go out and actively try to apprehend drug runners in the gulf or nail DUI boaters on the great lakes. The USCG makes a concentrated effort in patrolling US waterways and ports to catch bad guys doing bad things.
                          I was an Electronics Technician 3rd Class in Uncle Sams Confused Group and was stationed at a LORAN transmitter in remote Alaska ( I still wonder who I pi**ed off to get that position....) this was the furthest thing from law enforcement. Matter of fact I was a certified police officer when I enlisted in the Guard and NEVER completed ANY law enforcement function while in the USCG.

As for considering themselves federal law enforcement...that is a matter of opinion. I heard that tall tale from a few recruiters as well.

Also I was a re-tread, prior service, when I joined the Guard and had to go through "Basic Training" again at the time.....it was military.,..believe me

By the way check out the video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5Ipm...eature=related
                          Not too big not too small Jussst right.
                          Last edited by chiefcop; 08-30-2008, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wirefire2 View Post
                            Negative... the Coast Guard is a branch of Home Land Security. However it traditionally is military service (as it is organized with a naval rank structure) but does not fall under the department of defense. You get the same benefits and VA stuff as the other branches but it is technically federal law enforcement.
                            The USCG has been a military branch ever since 1790. It is a federal law enforcement agency but if you knew what you were talking about you would know it does not matter what department you fall under. We have been under Department of Treasury, Department of Transportation, and Departmeny of Homeland Security.

With your line of thinking that is like saying the Navy is not military because it falls under Department of Navy.

Do a little research before you say things so ignorant.

And to the original poster, were you in the USCG or are you just thinking about joining? I hope you did not spend a few years in the USCG and not know it was a military branch.
                            Last edited by TPD Cadet; 08-30-2008, 12:24 PM.
                            U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
                            Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

So just to get this straight,i can eventually use it on my NJSP app?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6275 users online. 359 members and 5916 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X