300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crime and guns

I was wondering if anyone had any info or statistics on how many violent crimes involving guns were committed by the registered owner of said gun. Does anyone even keep track of those statistics? I can see maybe some assault, pointing a loaded firearm, etc type charges, but Im also looking more for the murder, bank robbery, etc type charges.

Any (on topic) response is appreciated
    "...and the taking of a life is murder. And the punishment for murder is.... well it varies from state to state and by race, but...." - Homer J Simpson.

Police: "Stop and we'll shoot!"
    Dilbert: "Stop AND we'll shoot? If you're gonna shoot, why should we stop?"
    Police: "Well, it would be alot easier for us. The targets at the shooting range don't run."

R.I.P. Momma Coleman. You may have left our world, but you have NOT left our hearts.

Originally posted by Sharp View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had any info or statistics on how many violent crimes involving guns were committed by the registered owner of said gun.

Possibly more. But thats all my database has in it.
    "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

I was wondering if anyone had any info or statistics on how many violent crimes involving guns were committed by the registered owner of said gun.
      I might be able to narrow that down if you specified weather you were looking for local, state, or federal numbers.

Since most states don't require an owner to "register" his gun it might be more like 4.
      "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

. . . the registered owner of said gun. Does anyone even keep track of those statistics?
        There is no federal registry of firearms (other than NFA weapons like machineguns, silencers, short-barrelled shotguns, short-barrelled rifles) so there won't be any nationwide stats to answer your questions. Further, there are very few state or local registration requirement that cover all firearms, and therefore you'll have a tough time getting data on that also.

Comment

No registration here in Florida. Gotta love it when someone yells "His gun aint even registered!" That's when you say "well, either are mine... what's your point?"

Comment

Thats kind of a hard question to answer, and is misleading.

If I remember right, Courts have ruled that criminals arn't required to registered their guns as it would be self-incriminating.

A better question would be to compair the differant crime rates between GUN FREE locals and areas who have lax gun laws.

OR compair the differant crime rates for a given area Before they got Concealed Carry and After.

Comment

Originally posted by kraigwy View Post
              If I remember right, Courts have ruled that criminals arn't required to registered their guns as it would be self-incriminating.
              Ive never heard it put THAT way before...

I was just curious if they even kept track of registration when it came to crimes.

Why are there no registration laws, or why are they so lax? I figured people would want to register their guns in case they were stolen or something.
              "...and the taking of a life is murder. And the punishment for murder is.... well it varies from state to state and by race, but...." - Homer J Simpson.

Police: "Stop and we'll shoot!"
              Dilbert: "Stop AND we'll shoot? If you're gonna shoot, why should we stop?"
              Police: "Well, it would be alot easier for us. The targets at the shooting range don't run."

R.I.P. Momma Coleman. You may have left our world, but you have NOT left our hearts.

Comment

Why are there no registration laws, or why are they so lax? I figured people would want to register their guns in case they were stolen or something.
                Because when it comes time for the wholesale ban and confiscaton of privately owned firearms (See Australia, UK, Nazi Germany...) it would be perfectly easy for Sen. Obama and his friends to look up all the firearms owners in a computer. All addresses and firearm serial numbers will be listed for quick, easy round up.
                Carpe Noctem

Comment

In NJ, you are required to have a firearms permit before you can purchase a firearm. Once you have the permit, you can purchase any long gun at anytime. However, if you want a handgun, you must secure an additional permit for each handgun and a list of the handguns registered to you is maintained by the state.

Kinda makes no sense, cause I need an additional handgun permit to buy a 22.cal Ruger Mark II, but I can go to the local gun shop, or Dicks and pick up an AR-15 and roll on out after the NIC check.

To answer the question, most people that have registered firearms are far less likely to commit a crime with weapons registered to them. Persons with concealed carry permits, are even less likely to commit a crime with that weapon. The revocation of concealed carry permits is extremely low.
                  Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Just for clarification what are the stats in your area where a crime is commited with a stolen gun?

Comment

Originally posted by Pauliegolf10 View Post
                      Just for clarification what are the stats in your area where a crime is commited with a stolen gun?

ROFL.

Stolen gun?...stolen guns that are reported?....stolen guns that are reported AND the owner had a serial number? Guns that are stolen from other jurisdictions and used in a crime in mine? Or stolen from mine and used in another? How about crimes where a gun is used but no way of knowing which gun of the ones later found? Or crimes that aren't solved?
                      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

No registration here, so the question can't really be answered. The closest thing you might be able to get stats for is gun crimes committed by people who aren't legally eligible to own them, and even that's going to be tough to figure.
                        I miss you, Dave.
                        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4614 users online. 335 members and 4279 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X