Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• j706
    replied
    We went to a consolidated dispatch center about one year ago. It is terrible. We have a MDT that may or may not work. We have a hand held radio only. No backup radio what so ever!! I think a hand hand held radio might be ok in a place where you have a lot of cops working. For the most part we are a rural county with no close backup. If our battery goes dead or the radio is damaged in a scuffle-we have nothing.

We also have an entire county on ONE CHANNEL!!! How do you think that works out? Yep you guessed right.

We got screwed big time on this deal we have. Everyone hates it.

Leave a comment:

• schammer
    replied
    I have 2 in car radios, 800 and a low band. We also have 800 portables. (also a 400 band portable for the local depts., that stays in the car.) In the mountain area you have to use the low band, all other areas the 800 works ok. However, if im in the mountain areas, I do not have a low band portable, so youre just on your own once out of the car.

Leave a comment:

• beavo451
    replied
    Both... Use the car radio (aka "Big Radio") in the car (gasp) and the portable (aka "Little Radio") while not in the car. The car radio has more range and is more powerful.

Leave a comment:

• PeteBroccolo
    replied
    Originally posted by DACP View Post
    Any one here project 25 compliant?
    Yes, at least for the Southern part of the Province. We have 3 different radio systems in this Province for my Force, not counting fully encrypted secret-squirrel stuff (Damn! I can hear the "blackbirds" coming for me now!!):

- Far North: a private mobile radio system that is about 20 years old;

- Central: a 150 mhz range (?) system that is about 35 years old that was piggy-backed onto a 800 mhz system owned by the phone company in 1996;

- South: P25 system, about 2 years old and growing.

The Central system, when still in use in the South, was a real pain, in that we were constantly getting "skip" from Missoula, MT public works on the channel we used around here! Man, that culvert by the Wal-Mart was ALWAYS being repaired!

The Central system, as well as all 800 mghz-only systems, HAVE to be replaced ASAP as the phone company is ditching that system by Christmas 2008 or 2009. Apparently the 800 mhz system was NEVER intended to cover this wide a geographical area. Hopefully all Municipal PS & FS, Provincial LE Agencies, District EMS and Provincial Utilities and Emergency Management Agencies will come on-board with the P25 system in the next year or so, as we can NOT communicate with these other Agencies, or the 911 Centre, except by cell phone, but can use our MWS to send messages to the Municipal PS and Provincial Conservation Officer / Commercial Transport Officer dispatchers terminals.

I like the P25 system - the radios have a "memory" to be able to display the radio call sign of the mobile and portable radios that the caller is using, but not large enough to handle ALL current radio call signs unfortunately.

My Force is also SLOWLY rolling-out a CAD / MWS system that will augment the P25 system, either piggy-backing data on voice or continue using cell modems as my Unit's vehicles currently use.
    Last edited by PeteBroccolo; 08-29-2008, 10:44 AM. Reason: Added info

Leave a comment:

• ChiTownDet
    replied
    Just handhelds here. Fits right where ashtray was in the CV. The Det's cars don't even have MDT's in them. We have no ability to talk to any surrounding suburbs, PD's on the handhelds. What the city did some years ago, they gave each surrounding burb, railroad PD's, universities a city handheld for them to have in their station to monitor Chicago. Some answer up, some only answer when they do daily radio checks at 1000 hrs. If I'm out of the city on an investigation and need help, better hope my cell phone is charged....

And yes, an agency I worked for in the early 80's had just in car, no handhelds. Then they bought from a low bidder and we got GE converta-coms, which were pieces of garbage, (the one where the handheld goes into the box in the car, better range, charged the handheld and you can use the in car mike).

Leave a comment:

• KAA951
    replied
    Originally posted by DACP View Post
    Any one here project 25 compliant?
    I have 3 mobile radios in my car + an MDT.

One "P-25" 800 MHz radio to talk on the "statewide" system
    One older 800 MHz radio to talk on the local police system
    One UHF radio to talk to neighboring counties who are not 800

We also carry 800 P-24 portable radios.

Funny you asked this- I had a civilian at break today asking about the 5 antennas on my car (add one for the scanner and one for the wireless mic pickup).

Isn't interoperability grand!
    Last edited by KAA951; 08-28-2008, 09:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Five-0fromSoCal
    replied
    Originally posted by bigcitypolice06 View Post
    now if we only knew which frequency went to wich area...our ROVERS just have things like LASD TAC-2 LASD TAC-4 and such....maybe our new radios will have a good list available.....
    Sounds like you have some of our tac freq's. Now we're able to be put on the "patch" with other depts like CHP and fire also, if I'm not mistaking.

Leave a comment:

• ArkansasFan24
    replied
    Originally posted by MPDCjock View Post
    I never use by car radio in the car. It's annoying. I only use my handheld.

Plus, it sounds horrible when an officer keys their handheld in the car and their car radio is on an there's an echo.
    I trained myself to turn the portable off upon entering the car and back on when getting out. I then used the mobile in the car for talking while seated in there. I think most officers out there do just this.

Leave a comment:

• ArkansasFan24
    replied
    Originally posted by luckydog View Post
    that is too much. we have one on the belt and one mounted in the car. with both we can contact all our dispatch channels along with the pd's in the county, the sheriff's offices in the surrounding counties, and us forest service. there is also a bunch of mutual aid channels to connect to other agencies around the state.
    LOL. I DO NOT wear two at one time. I have the option depending on the agency I work with. I have a digital radio for use with all the state agencies which I'm a part of. I have a VHF highband which will scan for use with most of the county sheriff's office and police departments in Arkansas, and I have a VFH lowband used not so much for law enforcement officers but by our other agency staff. The lowband only has our two channels. The digital has every digitized channel for every state agency including non-LE so we should never have the inability to communicate with who we need. I also have a trained ear. I was a dispatcher (one of few good ones I was told) for a while right after I quit my job as a school teacher. I can listen to all three radios in my unit at once. Most people riding with me get P.O.'d when those three plus the FM start blabbering.
    Last edited by ArkansasFan24; 08-28-2008, 03:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DACP
    replied
    Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
    and carrying a revolver
    Whats a revolver

Leave a comment:

• LA DEP
    replied
    Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
    Check out the latest programing matrix in the hand helds. All the PD's went bye bye again

Remember when there was only a mobile and nothing for the belt? Our agency only got portable radios around 1990 for general patrol. Now the mobile gets put on the local tactical (car to car) and the portable is on Disp.
    WHATTTTTTTTTTTTT?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was the whole idea of the LAST 'reprograming' of the radio system!

and yes, I have been on long enough to remember the days of no portable radios (and hanging the radio mike out the window, and setting the radio so you could hear it over the PA when you were out of the hoop)....and no MDT.....and carrying a revolver

Leave a comment:

• bigcitypolice06
    replied
    Yeah.....you would have thought that the largest agencies in the LA basin would have been able to talk to each other a long time ago.....

It was a barrel of laughs when we had one of their airships assisting us....we had to have a ground unit parked next to one of us....and then play telephone back and forth to talk to the bird.....
    now if we only knew which frequency went to wich area...our ROVERS just have things like LASD TAC-2 LASD TAC-4 and such....maybe our new radios will have a good list available.....

Leave a comment:

• mdrdep
    replied
    Yeah.....you would have thought that the largest agencies in the LA basin would have been able to talk to each other a long time ago.....

It was a barrel of laughs when we had one of their airships assisting us....we had to have a ground unit parked next to one of us....and then play telephone back and forth to talk to the bird.....

Check out the latest programing matrix in the hand helds. All the PD's went bye bye again

Remember when there was only a mobile and nothing for the belt? Our agency only got portable radios around 1990 for general patrol. Now the mobile gets put on the local tactical (car to car) and the portable is on Disp.

Leave a comment:

• creolecop
    replied
    We only use, portables. If I had an in car radio I don't think I'd even use it. Don't see a need to. We can switch channels on our portables and speak to city marshalls, or the S.O. BTW I'm municiple. We are having some minor troubles right now, but it's because our repeaters are overwhelmed. couple of shifts ago, they informed us they are putting up more repeaters really soon. I think in car radios came from the time when there were no portables, then portables came out and people couldn't let go their car radios, but even with just descent mainstream portables today, unless your state police you can get away with portables.

Leave a comment:

• Tex4720
    replied
    We have both. I keep the belt one on my dispatch so if I get out of the car I'm on the right channel. The car one is useualy listening to neighboring districts, same department, to keep up with whats going on around me.

Rumor is department is going to get take home radios for all officers and will get rid of car radios to help pay for it. I dont like the idea. The car radios have a longer distance. If on a tac channel or car to car, where signal is weaker its makes a huge difference as it does for pursuits going out of the city.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4505 users online. 233 members and 4272 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X