300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judges being armed.

I've always heard that, back from the 1800s till today, that judges in the courtroom are packing heat under their robes. And even judges that aren't wearing the "traditional" attire have a weapon somewhere within reach to protect themselves.

And lately, Taurus manufactured a revolver that fires both .45 Colt and .410 shells named "The Judge" and part of their marketing included how the gun is a favorite among judges or something of the sort.

Is there any accuracy in this even considering how courtrooms are usually no-gun zones? Has it been seen before?

In Los Angeles, I encountered many a Deputy Marshall/Sheriff Bailiff telling tales about his judge 'packing under the robe' and while off the bench - they were eager candidates for CCW permits. Some felony defendants get downright upset about their convictions....no sense of humor.
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by Till View Post
      Is there any accuracy in this even considering how courtrooms are usually no-gun zones? Has it been seen before?
      i always have my gun in court and so do the bailiffs, and i am sure the judge does too.

Comment

Some judges carry. Can you blame them?

Comment

Not at all uncommon for a Judge to carry. Don't blame em either.

Comment

I've known several judges who have CCW permits (issued by the Sheriff) and carry inside and outside their courtrooms. In Los Angeles County, more and more courts are losing their armed, deputy sheriff bailiffs and having them replaced by unarmed courtroom security guards. They don't like the situation at all, but the county is running short on funds and I guess these budget decisions are made by the presiding judge.

I've been spending some time with a good friend of mine (a judge) giving him some basic firearms training. Every time the media reports on an incident of "violence in the courtroom", I can expect to call a from him asking, "Hey when can we go out shooting again?"
            "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Judges in NYC, except for Family Court Judges, are automatically quallified for CCW permits. Pullicords.....one reason why the NYS Office of Court Administration provides its own law enforcement force is to avoid the money crunch problems that come with contracting for those services with an outside agency.

Comment

I'm not sure how the staffing is determined in Los Angeles County, since the Sheriff's Department is responsible for providing bailiffs, but works under an independently, elected official (the Sheriff) and the Superior Courts operate under County authority (but are not run by the Sheriff). Either way, if he (the Sheriff) decides he's going to cut staffing for the courts he has the ability to do so.
                "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

At one of the counties I worked in the past the county attorney carried concealed. His thoughts were if something happened he wasn't going to be left with his pants down.

On the other side of the coin several years back in one of the local county courts a judge only wanted the court deputy to have their weapon on them in court. From what I understand he issued an order that no one including cops could carry their weapons in court. This upset some of the agencies in that county to the point that one department chief told his officers to only go to court if they were subpoenaed. But that was years back and before any of the new concealed laws were passed.
                  Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

When her honor leaves for the courthouse every morning, she has her S&W Mod. 66 3" in her Galco purse. Hell, she makes sure I'm carrying and points out to me that if she is, I'd better be!

I worked for a couple of judges who frequently packed on the bench during some hairy trials. the las judge I bailiffed for received a number of death threats and was never without his revolver. I have seen more than one liberal minded judge fall off of his or her pedestal when presented with an angry, violent defendant.
                    Carpe Noctem

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4840 users online. 269 members and 4571 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X