300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I look like a cop...please help!

Hello everyone, I wasn't sure where to put this thread so here goes... I'm a SSG MP in the Army, did the whole Iraq/Afghanistan thing and I'm about to get out in a year to pursue a career as a sworn officer. The problem is, and it's not really a big deal, but everywhere I go, people think that I'm a cop. It doesn't matter what I'm wearing or where I'm at.

For instance, I'm in Miami beach on R&R leave, there's a homeless guy sitting on one of those newspaper vending machines. As soon as I get close to him, he jumps up, straightens himself out and says "I'm sorry, are you the Po-Lice?". Women ask me if I'm a cop all the time or tell me I remind them of a cop they know. It's even more pronounced when I go back to the neighborhood to visit relatives, the looks that I get are usually the ones reserved for the cops that patrol there. People say that I walk like I cop(didn't know that cops have a certain walk), but it's weird that strangers see this and I don't.

There was an article on this site a while back about guys walking around wearing badge shaped belt buckles and SWAT t-shirts, I don't do any of that, and I was wondering if any of you have experienced the whole "You look like a cop thing" in your personal lives?

Well, thanks for reading and stay safe out there.
    Troy

Originally posted by Mer_k View Post
    Hello everyone, I wasn't sure where to put this thread so here goes... I'm a SSG MP in the Army, did the whole Iraq/Afghanistan thing and I'm about to get out in a year to pursue a career as a sworn officer. The problem is, and it's not really a big deal, but everywhere I go, people think that I'm a cop. It doesn't matter what I'm wearing or where I'm at.

For instance, I'm in Miami beach on R&R leave, there's a homeless guy sitting on one of those newspaper vending machines. As soon as I get close to him, he jumps up, straightens himself out and says "I'm sorry, are you the Po-Lice?". Women ask me if I'm a cop all the time or tell me I remind them of a cop they know. It's even more pronounced when I go back to the neighborhood to visit relatives, the looks that I get are usually the ones reserved for the cops that patrol there. People say that I walk like I cop(didn't know that cops have a certain walk), but it's weird that strangers see this and I don't.

There was an article on this site a while back about guys walking around wearing badge shaped belt buckles and SWAT t-shirts, I don't do any of that, and I was wondering if any of you have experienced the whole "You look like a cop thing" in your personal lives?

Troy

Try this, it couldn't hurt.

Comment

Stop dressing like this

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

I don't get that (yet). Someone stopped & talked about my car for a bit...after a while, he asked what I did for work- then thought I was messing with him..
        summer - winter - work

Comment

Troy
          Make sure you dont have one of those ****ed up haircuts you get free of charge in the military and you dont have a chisel cut, robotic looking jaw like Arnold Swarzenegger.

Comment

Originally posted by CityCopDC View Post
            Make sure you dont have one of those ****ed up haircuts you get free of charge in the military
            They charge us for those haircuts.
            U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
            Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

Originally posted by TPD Cadet View Post
              They charge us for those haircuts.
              YEAH, not even the first one is free, and then they charge you extra for a keep sake pictureof it!!!

Comment

Troy
                helllo pujolshomerun

Comment

Say goodbye to undercover work....

(and +1 on the mustache/glasses disguise.... give it a try)
                  1*

Comment

I suggest you stop wearing that shirt that says police, sell the Crown Vic that you bought at the auction for 2 grand, leave the fannie pack at home, loosen up those tight jeans & untuck that button down shirt, take off those sunglasses, and thanks for supporting the PBA, but get rid of the booster sticker on your back window.

Let me know if that helps.......

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Cocheeeeeeeese!!
                      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                      that we are all that stands between
                      the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Grow a big cheesy firemans mustache....... and put on a pair of old OP shorts

Comment

I'm lucky-- I've had friends that say there's NO WAY they thought I was a cop--- 1 girl knew me for 12 years & it didn't come up until then & even then I had to show her my ID to prove it!
                          I think it's more attitude than appearence, as walking around rigid-straight, bowl or buzzed type haircuts and always looking at someone like they're about to rape the neighbor's dog is a sure way to at least be suspected of being LE. Also clothing plays into it. Dockers, pressed jeans, loose golf shirts & washed tennies with white socks are all dead giveaways.
                          If your goal is to avoid the off-duty "cop uniform" loosen up --- old jeans, worn T-shirts, shoes that don't scream you're prepping for inspection or about to run a marathon may seem sloppy to you but in this day & age it's normal, acceptable wear in most places.

Comment

I always wear tattered (NOT Wayne's World here) jeans with some little holes, a button-up (or button-down) t-shirts or just a looser tee. As for shoes, I wear old black OP skate shoes. And when off, I don't shave.
                            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                            that we are all that stands between
                            the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LeanG View Post
                              I suggest you stop wearing that shirt that says police, sell the Crown Vic that you bought at the auction for 2 grand, leave the fannie pack at home, loosen up those tight jeans & untuck that button down shirt, take off those sunglasses, and thanks for supporting the PBA, but get rid of the booster sticker on your back window.

Let me know if that helps.......
                              LeanG dont forget to tell him to lose the fanny pack or whatever those retarded looking male purse things that cops carry around their stomach/ribs/waist.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5734 users online. 328 members and 5406 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X