300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Safety Officers

Just wondering what departments in CA. other than South Gate, USC, and the City of Norwalk have Public Safety Officers. I am looking for info in order to comapre the positions between the many departments we have in CA. If your dept. has PSO's feel free to comment or provide some answers to the questions below. ( non-CA LEO's feel free to provide info )

What is their pay scale ?

Full time or part time ?

Are they part of the police department or are they part of another city department ?

Are they sworn or nonsworn ?

Armed or unarmed ?

Can they issue citations ? Detain ? Arrest ?

Any POST trainning?

What kind of units do they drive ? And how are they marked ?

Are they on the police radio freq. or do they have their own ?

Do they have a rank structure ?

Can they work other positions ( ie jailer, dispatcher, parking ) ?

Do they patrol city wide or are they restricted to city property ?

24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year or just when needed ?

Same uniforms and patches as PD or different colors ?

Are they issued badges ? If so, do they say police on them ?

Are they "accepted" by LEO's or are they seen as "wan-a-bes" ?

I have many more but, I ll leave at these for now.

Thanks.

Originally posted by SGPSO View Post
    Just wondering what departments in CA. other than South Gate, USC, and the City of Norwalk have Public Safety Officers. I am looking for info in order to comapre the positions between the many departments we have in CA. If your dept. has PSO's feel free to comment or provide some answers to the questions below. ( non-CA LEO's feel free to provide info )

What is their pay scale ?

Full time or part time ?

Are they part of the police department or are they part of another city department ?

Are they sworn or nonsworn ?

Armed or unarmed ?

Can they issue citations ? Detain ? Arrest ?

Any POST trainning?

What kind of units do they drive ? And how are they marked ?
    Are they on the police radio freq. or do they have their own ?

Do they have a rank structure ?

Can they work other positions ( ie jailer, dispatcher, parking ) ?

Do they patrol city wide or are they restricted to city property ?

24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year or just when needed ?

Same uniforms and patches as PD or different colors ?

Are they issued badges ? If so, do they say police on them ?

Are they "accepted" by LEO's or are they seen as "wan-a-bes" ?

I have many more but, I ll leave at these for now.

Thanks.
    Just go be a real cop, you are heading towards trouble this route.

Comment

Research to your heart's content:

http://www.post.ca.gov/Hiring/Job_Opportunities/
      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Sorry for my ignorance, but what the heck is a Public Safety Officer??? Like a mall security type or someone that is involved in actual law enforcement?
        Your Gauging Intelligence From An Ignorant Scale

Comment

Originally posted by vacop4274 View Post
          Sorry for my ignorance, but what the heck is a Public Safety Officer??? Like a mall security type or someone that is involved in actual law enforcement?
          Cops on a budget. They typically take low priority reports and such.

Comment

Originally posted by LT Dangle View Post
            Cops on a budget. They typically take low priority reports and such.
            Guess it depends where you are at......

We have PSOs in my hometown (BTDT) and are/were LEOs....we just had an additonal mission of supporting the Volly Fire Dept.

Several places in MO still have them.....ALL OF THEM are LEOs....they just have additional missions of Fire and/or EMS tacked on to their jobs.....

Comment

Im going to assume that you are talking about something like a community service officer? If so then here are your answers....if your talking about a security gaurd type thing then i dunno....

oh and most depts. I know of in socal have them some do more then others and some are more in office rather then field just depends.

What is their pay scale ? Depends each department...our cso's are approx. 3k to for 4k a month.

Full time or part time ? Most are Full time

Are they part of the police department or are they part of another city department ? Police Department

Are they sworn or nonsworn ? Non sworn

Armed or unarmed ? unarmed/ however they may carry O.C. spray or baton

Can they issue citations ? Detain ? Arrest ? Citations yes, detain & arrest no

Any POST trainning? No

What kind of units do they drive ? And how are they marked ? Depends on the dept. usually around socal they are in white marked police vehicles with clear markings of a CSO or PSO. Ours drive Vans and Explorers

Are they on the police radio freq. or do they have their own ? Same Channel

Do they have a rank structure ? Dont think so

Can they work other positions ( ie jailer, dispatcher, parking ) ? Yes

Do they patrol city wide or are they restricted to city property ? Patrol

24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year or just when needed ? ...and Day & night

Same uniforms and patches as PD or different colors ? different colors - remember they are CSO not police officers....most of them don't want to be seen as an LEO.

Are they issued badges ? If so, do they say police on them ? Yes & Yes

Are they "accepted" by LEO's or are they seen as "wan-a-bes" ? CSOs are very very very useful and are a lot of the times their to take the paper for things. They also provide assistance and cover on non emergency calls so the officers can respond to priority calls.

Comment

Im going to assume that you are talking about something like a community service officer? If so then here are your answers....if your talking about a security gaurd type thing then i dunno....

oh and most depts. I know of in socal have them some do more then others and some are more in office rather then field just depends.

What is their pay scale ? Depends each department...our cso's are approx. 3k to for 4k a month.

Full time or part time ? Most are Full time

Are they part of the police department or are they part of another city department ? Police Department

Are they sworn or nonsworn ? Non sworn

Armed or unarmed ? unarmed/ however they may carry O.C. spray or baton

Can they issue citations ? Detain ? Arrest ? Citations yes, detain & arrest no

Any POST trainning? No

What kind of units do they drive ? And how are they marked ? Depends on the dept. usually around socal they are in white marked police vehicles with clear markings of a CSO or PSO. Ours drive Vans and Explorers

Are they on the police radio freq. or do they have their own ? Same Channel

Do they have a rank structure ? Dont think so

Can they work other positions ( ie jailer, dispatcher, parking ) ? Yes

Do they patrol city wide or are they restricted to city property ? Patrol

24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year or just when needed ? ...and Day & night

Same uniforms and patches as PD or different colors ? different colors - remember they are CSO not police officers....most of them don't want to be seen as an LEO.

Are they issued badges ? If so, do they say police on them ? Yes & Yes

Are they "accepted" by LEO's or are they seen as "wan-a-bes" ? CSOs are very very very useful and are a lot of the times their to take the paper for things. They also provide assistance and cover on non emergency calls so the officers can respond to priority calls.

Comment

Originally posted by LT Dangle View Post
                  Just go be a real cop, you are heading towards trouble this route.

If I wanted to be a real cop I would go for it. I have been offered the position several times, but have yet to accept it. For now I am very happy being a PSO. I think I can make a bigger difference were I am at with my rank and senority. If I accept the police officer position I would have to start over at 0. I am not ready to do that yet.

Comment

As Bearcat mentioned, PSO's can mean different things in different areas.

Technically, my title is PSO because we do police, fire, and EMS.

The CA folks have already posted, but I just wanted to add it in there.
                    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

In Ca. how is their training given? In house or modified academy setting?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy View Post
                        In Ca. how is their training given? In house or modified academy setting?
                        In our dept. we do most of the training in house, report writing, officer safety, patrol procedures, dispatch. PSO's also attend an academy for an 832PC Course. In addition we also get trained by other depts. and agencies for specialized training, JDIC, Cal Gangs, Homeland Security.

Comment

Anyone know of any PSO Departments in Texas?
                          If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Ignored:
                          juicesnn4e2

Comment

Originally posted by SGPSO View Post
                            In our dept. we do most of the training in house, report writing, officer safety, patrol procedures, dispatch. PSO's also attend an academy for an 832PC Course. In addition we also get trained by other depts. and agencies for specialized training, JDIC, Cal Gangs, Homeland Security.
                            Thanx for the info! That was very helpful!

Comment

I'm a PSO. Here it means POLICE, FIRE, and EMS. So I'm a fully sworn police officer and have Firefighter I & II along with MFR.

It's awesome, I couldn't be just a cop. I love working the street and then going to a fire in the middle of shift.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3861 users online. 224 members and 3637 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X