300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oral Board Woes

Hey, I have my first oral boards in a few days and my friend is helping me, quizzing me with some questions I may encounter. One thing I have noticed is I have alot of "no" responses to many questiosn, such as when was the last time you were in a fight (I have never been in a fight) or have you ever done drugs / gotten drunk (Never/never) to the point where I would not be surprised if the interviewer would think I was lying. Am I just being paranoid?

Yes, you are. Be yourself, don't studder and just give the best answers you can. Nerves are normal. Be calm and communicate your answers well. I've been through a few Oral Boards and never been asked the qestions you listed.

Good Luck.
    -918-

Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness. James 3:18

Clinging to my guns and religion since 1975

Comment

They would probably be asking the last fight question to weed out those with a propensity to get into trouble, not see if you can handle yourself. Plenty of guys who can handle themselves don't get into street fights, just because you have the skills to fight does not mean you should forget how to use your mouth. If there is a specific reason you do not do something or engage in a "normal" activity, just be honest why with out sounding condescending to someone who may engage in said activity. IE drinking

Comment

I think (at least it seem that way in my oral board), they want honest answers not what is right or legal, after all oral boards come before training.

An example, I was asked about spitting, what I would do if someone spit on me, I told them in all honesty I'd smack them. (this was before aids).

Another one, is I told them up front I wasn't interested in traffic, I would if I had to, but I didnt want to set around and write tickets just to be writing tickets.

Its hard to remember (that was in March '74). I do remember the deputy chief looking at my application and telling me while laughing, " you cant spell for sh*t" . They hired me anyway, and if you've read my post you'll see I still cant spell.

Be honest, thats more important then right answers, your accademy and FTO training will give you the right answer, but there is no subsitute for honesty in Police Work.

Comment

Originally posted by kraigwy View Post
          I didnt want to set around and write tickets just to be writing tickets.

Its hard to remember (that was in March '74). I do remember the deputy chief looking at my application and telling me while laughing, " you cant spell for sh*t" . They hired me anyway, and if you've read my post you'll see I still cant spell.
          LMFAO!!! Did you ever learn to enjoy writing tickets? If not, it's nice to see there's still things in law enforcement for all of us to do well (regardless of our shortcomings)!
          "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

You're going to get questions like:

"Tell us a time when you had to make a snap decision and what was the outcome."

"Tell us about a time when you had a dispute with a co-worker and how did you handle it?"

"Describe a time on any job which you've held in which you were faced with
            problems or stresses which tested your coping skills. What did you do?"

"Give an example of a time in which you had to keep from speaking or not
            finish a task because you did not have enough information to come to a good
            decision. Be specific."

"Tell me about a time in which you had to use your spoken communication
            skills in order to get a point across that was important to you."

"Give me an example of a specific occasion in which you conformed to a policy
            with which you did not agree."

"Describe a situation in which you felt it necessary to be very attentive and
            vigilant to your environment."

"Give an example of a time in which you had to use your fact-finding skills to
            gain information for solving a problem. Then tell me how you analyzed the
            information to come to a decision."

"Give me example of an important goal which you have set in the past and tell
            me about your success in reaching it."

"Describe the most significant written document/report or presentation
            which you have had to complete."

"Give me an example of a time when you were able to successfully
            communicate with another person, even when that individual may not have
            personally liked you."

"What did you do in your last job in order to be effective in organizing and
            planning? Be specific."

"Describe a time in which you felt it was necessary to modify or change your
            actions in order to respond to the needs of another person."

"What did you do in your last job to contribute toward a teamwork
            environment? Be specific."

These are called situational questions and may or may not have anything remotely to do with law enforcement. They key is being able to articulate your answers on the spot. A lot of them check you experience and problem solving skills. Whatever you do don't answer that has never happened to me. Use anything you can to answer just don't dodge the question.

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
              LMFAO!!! Did you ever learn to enjoy writing tickets? If not, it's nice to see there's still things in law enforcement for all of us to do well (regardless of our shortcomings)!

Nope, now that you mentioned it, in my last evaluation the Sgt made a comment about me writing 10 tickets the last year, I told him if he didnt want me writing tickets dont give me a ticket book, He wasn't happy, apparenly most cops write more then ten a week.

I was a Patrolman, not a traffic cop.

Anyway, I'm retired, I dont see how writing tickets would have increased my pension check.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5923 users online. 333 members and 5590 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X