300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dilemma

I have a quick question to ask real fast. I plan on becoming a cop in the next two years or so. I have my associates in criminal justice and I am working on getting my BA in political science. Now that I just started college again I ran into a dilemma. I got a job offer to go to Kuwait and do security for a year or longer and make good money. I plan on taking online classes if I go to Kuwait, the only thing is, its going to take me longer to finish school. I was wondering which option is better for a career in law enforcement? Would it hurt me if I was to do security in Kuwait??? Any advice would help!! Thanks

Neither choice should hurt you.

Hiring in most law enforcement agencies is distinctly different from what you see in private business. Instead of evaluating you on your education and work history, most police agencies first look to see if you meet the minimum qualifications for admission to the testing process. This is usually 21 years old, high school diploma or GED, US citizen, valid drivers license, etc. From there, you are usually rated on the number of correct answers you give to job related test questions given in written and oral exams. People are usually processed in the order of their test scores - highest goes first, second highest goes second, etc. The background is pass/fail - it merely verifies that you possess the minimum requirements for the job and looks to see if there is anything in your personal history that meets the criteria for disqualification (character, work, financial, criminal, etc.)

So all this stuff about what you majored in, or whether you even have a degree, or what kind of jobs you worked at previously are all meaningless unless the exam announcement specifically states these are minimum requirements for the job.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Yep what he said. Unless its required Most finish their BA or Masters while on the Job.
      The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by roces95 View Post
        I have a quick question to ask real fast. I plan on becoming a cop in the next two years or so. I have my associates in criminal justice and I am working on getting my BA in political science. Now that I just started college again I ran into a dilemma. I got a job offer to go to Kuwait and do security for a year or longer and make good money. I plan on taking online classes if I go to Kuwait, the only thing is, its going to take me longer to finish school. I was wondering which option is better for a career in law enforcement? Would it hurt me if I was to do security in Kuwait??? Any advice would help!! Thanks
        If you're single I'd take the chance to make good money in Kuwait first because that's the last time you'll probably ever make good money if you become a cop.

You could save a ton up and pay off your school and not get stuck with a bunch of loans for the next 20 years.

It may not help you a bit as a cop, but the experience will probably help you out in the long run no matter what you end up doing. If I was ten years younger and single I'd have been all over one of those jobs.

There will ALLWAYS be law enforcement jobs but the high paid security gigs may be starting to dry up. Take the money and run.
        "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

Follow-up question since I just looked at your profile:

If you're in the reserves are you ALLOWED to take a job as a security contractor on foreign soil?

I was post cold-war, pre-gulf-war#1 National Guard so it never really came up. The only six years that nothing ever happened anywhere in the world, I was a little let down.
          "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

As a reservist I will be to go. I didnt think so at first, but I got the green light from both sides.
            Last edited by roces95; 08-24-2008, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 10-31Mike View Post
              If you're single I'd take the chance to make good money in Kuwait first because that's the last time you'll probably ever make good money if you become a cop.

You could save a ton up and pay off your school and not get stuck with a bunch of loans for the next 20 years.

It may not help you a bit as a cop, but the experience will probably help you out in the long run no matter what you end up doing. If I was ten years younger and single I'd have been all over one of those jobs.

There will ALLWAYS be law enforcement jobs but the high paid security gigs may be starting to dry up. Take the money and run.
              You know I like the way you think 10-31Mike!!! I look at this as a way to make some good money because I know I will not have the chance to make this type of money as a police officer. Some of my friends and family think i am crazy for taking this job and dropping out of school. I will be making some good a** money as a 22 year old.

Comment

Just thinking on it, your reserve status may indirectly pose a problem with your Kuwait employment.

A lot of these foreign security jobs promote the fact that if you live and work continuously outside of the country for a certain period of time (I think its one year) the wages you earn are free from US taxes. However, I am wondering if your periodic returns to the US to engage in Reserve drills will put that tax free status in jeopardy. You probably need to check with an accountant before making the leap. Otherwise you may find Uncle Sam and the state taking a huge chunk of your wages.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                  Just thinking on it, your reserve status may indirectly pose a problem with your Kuwait employment.

A lot of these foreign security jobs promote the fact that if you live and work continuously outside of the country for a certain period of time (I think its one year) the wages you earn are free from US taxes. However, I am wondering if your periodic returns to the US to engage in Reserve drills will put that tax free status in jeopardy. You probably need to check with an accountant before making the leap. Otherwise you may find Uncle Sam and the state taking a huge chunk of your wages.
                  If i go i will be IRR (in active reserve) which means I wont be coming back to the states to do any training. The only way they can call me back is if our unit gets activated. Which will be very unlikely.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10732 users online. 442 members and 10290 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X