300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jurisdiction issues

THIS IS NOT A PRO MARIJUANA THREAD! I do not want to discuss the pro vs cons marijuana, but right now it is the only example that I can think of.

It is my understanding that in Denver marijuana is legal by city laws but illegal by federal (DEA) laws. If this is the case, can a Denver city copy help out in a federal DEA case? Can they arrest people and then turn them over to the DEA? Can Denver cops help in a "raid?"

Are there other examples of something being legal in a local sense but illegal in a federal sense?

Once again, to make it clear, I am just wondering how the jurisdiction works in this case. I do not smoke, nor do I know anyone who has been busted. I am not trying to build a case for or against anything.

We dealt with this exact issue at the last station I worked......

We were PROHIBITED from assisting DEA on their warrants except to assist on the outside containment, and with crowd control if needed.
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by finfanfromWA View Post
      Can Denver cops help in a "raid?"

Are there other examples of something being legal in a local sense but illegal in a federal sense?
      Sure. Although they'd probably be deputised as temporay federal agents. Officers are assigned to federal task forces all the time.

I'm sure if the IRS wanted assistance kicking in a door to arrest someone for tax evaison we would help them out. Of course it would never happen here as nobody pays taxes, they just collect yours and mine through welfare and section 8.
      "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

I can imagine all those Democrats bringing their pot to Denver, and getting busted by the feds...

Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
          We dealt with this exact issue at the last station I worked......

We were PROHIBITED from assisting DEA on their warrants except to assist on the outside containment, and with crowd control if needed.
          Is that based on Department policy or law? Or were they getting you into questionable stuff and you didn't want to get left holding the bag?
          "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

Originally posted by 10-31Mike View Post
            Is that based on Department policy or law? Or were they getting you into questionable stuff and you didn't want to get left holding the bag?
            The station is a 'contract city' that LASD provides services to....one of around 35-40........the city made a MAJOR scene about us helping out on pretty much any MJ enforcement........and since it is a $12 million dollar per year contract.........there is just a BIT of politics going on.....CA also is a medical MJ state
            The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Marihuana is still illegal by state law in Colorado. (unless medical). Anything in the quantities that the feds would be intereted is illegal. Even in Denver. And you bet Denver would assist or lead the case.
              The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 158275 users online. 126 members and 158149 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Today.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X