300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child on a Motorcycle

As a Motorcyclist myself I was in shock when I saw a child that couldn't be more than 3 or 4 riding on a motorcycle today. She did have on a helmet, but was riding in front of the driver. They were in a parking lot but could have gone to the streets later. I have been trying to find an answer online but couldn't find any regulations on age. Is there any laws about minimum passenger age on a motorcycle in nebraska?

Not sure in your State however, in the Southeast corner of the USA, there is no age limit. The only thing is, the child cannot interfere with the operator of the bike. In the case you saw, that is a no no! They cant ride up front.

Comment

Would the child be better off stuffed in front of a TV, given an X Box, and put on Ritalin when they are ready?

Comment

Motorcycle statutes for NE from the NE DMV:

Section 60-6,307 Revised Statutes Chapter 60

Restrictions on operating motorcycles.

(1) Any person who operates a motorcycle shall ride only upon a permanent and regular seat attached to the motorcycle. A person operating a motorcycle shall not carry any other person nor shall any other person ride on a motorcycle unless such motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, in which event a passenger may ride upon the permanent and regular seat, if designed for two persons, or upon another seat firmly attached to the motorcycle to the rear or side of the operator.

(2) A person shall ride upon a motorcycle only while sitting astride the seat, facing forward.

(3) No person shall operate a motorcycle while carrying any package, bundle, or other article which prevents him or her from keeping both hands on the handlebars.

(4) No operator shall carry any person, nor shall any person ride, in a position that interferes with the operation or control of the motorcycle or the view of the operator.

(5) Any motorcycle which carries a passenger, other than in a sidecar or enclosed cab, shall be equipped with footrests for such passenger.

(6) No person shall operate any motorcycle with handlebars more than fifteen inches above the mounting point of the handlebars.
        http://www.dmv.ne.gov/highwaysafety/...torcycle_Facts
        Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Not illegal here, but I don't agree with it. I don't think children that young should be on motocycles.
          sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by 417Lt View Post
            Would the child be better off stuffed in front of a TV, given an X Box, and put on Ritalin when they are ready?

Those are the only two options? This and a motorcycle?????
            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
              Those are the only two options? This and a motorcycle?????
              No, you forgot running with scissors through gasoline puddles to participate in a match stick relay race. See? Three options.

They do make a little backpack/suspender type thingy so that the child sits behind you properly but is strapped to you so they can't fall off. There's also a pet version, but frankly I think if you're going to take your doggy with you the only proper way is to dress him in a bandana or leather helmet and goggles and put him in a side car.
              I miss you, Dave.
              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

In Ca anyone on a motorcycle needs to be able to sit on the motorcycle on the passenger seat portion and be able to reach the foot pegs. There are no age requirements but if they are big enough to reach the pegs they are old enough to be on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzz View Post
                  In Ca anyone on a motorcycle needs to be able to sit on the motorcycle on the passenger seat portion and be able to reach the foot pegs. There are no age requirements but if they are big enough to reach the pegs they are old enough to be on it.
                  Passengers: Equipment and Usage

27800. It is unlawful for a driver of a motorcycle or a motorized bicycle to carry any other person thereon, except on a seat securely fastened to the machine at the rear of the driver and provided with footrests, or in a sidecar attached to a motorcycle and designed for the purpose of carrying a passenger. Every passenger on a motorcycle or a motorized bicycle shall keep his feet on the footrests while such vehicle is in motion.

Amended Ch. 421, Stats. 1978. Effective January 1, 1979.
                  Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

§ 46.2-909. Riding on motorcycles, generally.

Every person operating a motorcycle, as defined in § 46.2-100 excluding three-wheeled vehicles, shall ride only upon the permanent seat attached to the motorcycle, and such operator shall not carry any other person. No other person shall ride on a motorcycle unless the motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, in which event a passenger may ride on the permanent seat if designed for two persons, or on another seat firmly attached to the rear or side of the seat for the operator. If the motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, it shall also be equipped with a footrest for the use of such passenger.
                    a child that couldn't be more than 3 or 4 riding on a motorcycle today. She did have on a helmet, but was riding in front of the driver.
                    Sounds illegal.
                    "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Not sure of your state, but in MD no age requirement. Must wear a helmet and reach the footpegs
                      "I think it takes a particular coward to criticize procedures that you don't understand; particularly when they apply to places that you don't have the bravery to go" - Battalion Chief John Sullivan, FDNY

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!" - Rev1

"If you reload like old people [email protected], then you need to be behind something that stops bullets." - Blackdog F4i

IGNORE = since9, justme001, opencarry, bsd13, asullivan, okjoe, Patrick Sander, CJ616

Comment

Originally posted by 417Lt View Post

What the lleh does that mean?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4195 users online. 263 members and 3932 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X