300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire arms qualification question

Well I need to ask a question about Fire arms qualification. Here's a little story first .

I graduated the academy in May 20/2008 to be exact and I had to shoot an 80 to pass the state license exam at my academy . I had to shoot twice because I didn't qualify the first time. On the first attempt I scored a 79 then on my 2nd attempt I scored a 90%.

I just got hired as a police officer and today we are at the range doing our practice and practice qualifications on the range before we actually do our qualifying tomorrow morning. I scored a 79% today so I missed it by one point again.

So my question is have you ever not qualified the first round or did you have to shoot a second or 3rd time to make it finally?

I'm feeling really down because the range masters were devoting a lot of attention to me by helping me aim at the target positioning , loading the magazine in the same order every time. I'm very safe on the range no one is telling me I'm not . No accidental discharges or anything.

For some reason I keep hitting the side of the target and not the middle. If anyone doesn't mind please pray for me. Thanks.
    My life is in GOD’s hands, and he hasn’t finished with me yet.

Sounds like you need to practice. If you want to stay consistent you need to practice. Especially if you tend to not shoot well cold. There are several reasons why you might be patterning left most are grip and trigger problems. I'm not going to make an E-guess as to what it is. Get with a range instructor for some one on one instruction. Get it fixed then spend quality time at the range. Do this before you have to qualify. If they will let you run a practice qual before actual qual do it. In my agency you must qualify cold.

I think you should spend plenty of time working on your deficiencies. You want to develope good skills and muscle memory so that when you really need it and fine motor skills are degraded you can still do what needs to be done out on the streets.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Thanks. I couldn't ask for better range masters. You called it I'm shooting far left. I'm a righty.

Comment

Perfect practice, dry firing and working with a trained professional and one thing that we're doing alot of is getting an airsoft pistol that is just like our duty weapon and practicing at home. If you can afford it, go to a good school. If you in the North Texas area, give me a shout and I can point you towards places and people that would love to help you (some even for free).
        Steve
        Respect all ...... Fear none!!!

Comment

You need a coach. My advice is to contact your state Rifle and Pistol Assn and get a hold of someone who shoots bullseye compitition. I've found they are more then willing to help (in hopes of getting new shooters) but they still will help.

Pistol shooting is mental. I see from our post your number one problem is you need to relax. You need some coaching on form.

I have the USAMU Pistol Marksmanship guide on .pdf file. Short of a coach, its the best guide you will ever get, (and its free).

If you're interested, pm me with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

I was a firearm instructor for our department. If I had problems shooters the first thing I would do is get them shooting Bulleye style. There is no better place to learn the fundamentals and those fundamentals will carry over to police or combat style shooting.

Like I said, I'd recommend getting the USAMU Marksmanship guide study it. and if possilbe get a hold of a coach.

I noticed you are from NC. If I remember right when I was shooting for the NG (AK NG) NC had a pretty good pistol team. Another ideal would be to get a hold of the NC ARNG SARTS (Small Arms Readyness Training Section) and hit them up for Coaching. I ran the AK NG SARTS before I retired in 92. part of our mission was to assist civilian LE in weapons training.

Start with the Marksmanship Guide. its free for the cost of an PM & E-mail.

Comment

I had a similar problem when I first started at the Academy. I am a righty and was shooting wide to the left.

We use the H&K P2000 with a pretty hefty trigger pull. I was squeezing too hard to discharge the weapon creating torque that would pull the weapon left upon discharge.

Worth a shot to relax the right hand except the trigger finger and hold the firearm nearly with your left hand alone. That way if your hand flexes hard to pull the trigger your left hand will hold the weapon stable.

Hope this helps and good luck with your future training/practice/quals/ and in a real life situation should you need it.

Stay Safe.
            Last edited by slinger2424; 08-18-2008, 11:29 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

I actually did my firearms qualifications recently. Having never fired a handgun before, I passed with the department issued glock 22 the first time through. Of course since I wish to use my own personal glock 17 while on duty, I had to qualify with that as well. I passed the first time through as well, but only by 2 points.

Still, merely qualifying doesn't satisfy me, I am going to get some practice so that I get a much better score and become much more proficient at shooting.
              What is Perseverance?
              -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
              -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
              -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

One more thing I thought I would mention. I'm not sure how it is at everyone elses agencies, but we have a few people where I work who basically never practice, and the only time they use their firearm is when they have to qualify, which is once a year. Those people come in and often times fail the first time through. Our training officer actually had to walk people through slowly so that they could pass.

We have a reserve sergeant who failed the qualifying test 3 times. The final time through she shot two rounds into the ground from 1.5 yards

A couple of weeks later they slowly walked her through the qualifying and she was able to pass.
                What is Perseverance?
                -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

I'm a great believer in "dry-firing". Do it for several minutes each day. Sight alignment-trigger squeeze. Sight alignment-trigger squeez. Be certain you clear the weapon each time you practice. Do this regularly, you'll notice a dramatic improvement in your scores. Shooting is a use it or lose it skill.

Comment

Hello everyone. Thanks for all the great tips. I passed my qualification today . As soon as I get more in to my FTO I plan on going to the range a lot more and practicing or getting with a coach or fire arms instructor as some of you officers have suggested.

I'm just glad that stressful part is over . Tomorrow I do Asap training and then I get sworn in. I'm so excited. Finally all this hard work is paying off.

Once again thanks.

Comment

Congratz on the hard work leading to success! Just don't give up on the hard work now.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                        I'm a great believer in "dry-firing". Do it for several minutes each day. Sight alignment-trigger squeeze. Sight alignment-trigger squeez. Be certain you clear the weapon each time you practice. Do this regularly, you'll notice a dramatic improvement in your scores. Shooting is a use it or lose it skill.
                        Dry firing has worked well for me and for some of my shooters who needed improvement. There's a Gabe Suarez book, Tactical Pistol Marksmanship, that has a good section on different dry fire drills. Now that I'm an instructor, I hardly get any live fire trigger time since I'm too busy running other officers through. But I do dry fire exercises at least once a week - more often if I can find the time - and I firmly believe that has kept me on the 100% board when I go through the qual myself.

One particular dry fire exercise that helped me when I was starting out is to imagine the front sight as being connected to the trigger. When you pull the trigger back, the imagine the front sight moving back at the same time. It really forces you to focus on sight alignment during the trigger pull.

Apart from that, work on your follow through and take advantage of your trigger reset point.

Comment

Originally posted by slinger2424 View Post
                          Congratz on the hard work leading to success! Just don't give up on the hard work now.
                          Thanks I just got sworn in today. Thanks to everyone good tips I will practice some of them.

Comment

Un [email protected]#k your brain, control your breathing, practice and listen to everything the range master tells you and you'll do just fine. Many of the officers that don't shoot that well, worry so much and the anxiety builds so much prior to qualifications, that they automatically set themselves up for failure. After they calm down and listen to the instructor standing behind them, they always qualify. Of course you are always going to have that one or two range instructors that bash everybody that doesn't shoot %100 in a group the size of a fist. Doesn't matter what your score is, they still bust your nutz and ****** everyone off.
                            Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by stormz5192 View Post
                              Un [email protected]#k your brain, control your breathing, practice and listen to everything the range master tells you and you'll do just fine. Many of the officers that don't shoot that well, worry so much and the anxiety builds so much prior to qualifications, that they automatically set themselves up for failure. After they calm down and listen to the instructor standing behind them, they always qualify. Of course you are always going to have that one or two range instructors that bash everybody that doesn't shoot %100 in a group the size of a fist. Doesn't matter what your score is, they still bust your nutz and ****** everyone off.
                              I agree. We had two range masters and I thought that they were both going to fight at some point but they didn't.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6351 users online. 378 members and 5973 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X