X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10-31Mike
    replied
    Originally posted by MookieHada View Post
    When I talked to a member of our local PD K9, they have only use belgian malinois and German Shepherds. What happened to PD using other breeds such as: Dobermanns, Rottweilers or Presa Canarios?
    Because (to quote southpark): "You can't teach a gay dog straight tricks"

Leave a comment:

• hemicop
    replied
    To make a long story short, each breed has certain traits that a particular agency may or may not find desirable. Then add in the fact a particular candidate may not make it through selection or training & you narrow your options rather quickly. PDs don't have the time to devote to training like sport dog enthusiasts do, so they need the best candidate ASAP. I've seen about 8 different breeds used & each has it's strengths & weaknesses, it's just that statistically GSDs & Mals. have the greatest likelihood of success.

Leave a comment:

• Shoot N Scoot
    replied
    Dobermanns have a tendancy to be more prone to injury, Rotts are great partners (my favorite) by heavy and just cannot live up to the drive of Malinois. Also Rotts have a tendancy to be very heard headed but are suck great dogs. The french use labs as patrol dogs (very interesting) and the Department of Defense is breeding a new dog that is a combination of a lab and a shepard, very expensive and time consuming but will grow as time comes.

Ohhhh also, just for your information, the DOD Military Working Dog program does adopt fully certified K9s to local agencies for only the cost of shipping the K9 (if they have any available which they have four listed right now as ready to ship).

Leave a comment:

• Back to NYC
    replied
    They do. Bloodhounds, too. The most senior K9 in the NYPD retired recently and made the news. Nice story.

Leave a comment:

• MookieHada
    started a topic Other types of breeds for K9?

Other types of breeds for K9?

When I talked to a member of our local PD K9, they have only use belgian malinois and German Shepherds. What happened to PD using other breeds such as: Dobermanns, Rottweilers or Presa Canarios?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3951 users online. 285 members and 3666 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X