300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must haves for soon to be graduate

I will be graduating October 10th and was wondering what are somethings that I should try to get now to help out in the "real world." I was looking through Galls and saw a ton of stuff I would like to have but realize that I will probably never use half of it. So other than basic issued stuff what would you recommend. I already have OC, ASP baton, I set of cuffs and 2 long cuff keys, streamlight xl-20 big flashlight and streamlight tl-2 led small flashlight. I am looking for ideas that I will need on my person as well as my cruiser (we have take home cars if it matters). Thanks in advance for any ideas!

-chris

Have a patrol (war) bag yet? 3-ring binders? Fun stuff like that. I'm at that point where I'm buying my own "extra" stuff. Everything else has been issued.

How about gloves? (Hatch makes good ones, but I haven't been working long enough to wear anything out yet).
    Last edited by Chit2001; 08-17-2008, 08:09 PM.
    1*

Comment

Wait til you start

Don't buy anything now because once you start most things will be issued to you and your stuff will be on here in the for sale section.

Comment

-Hand sanitizer
        -Small first aid kit for the glove box (band-aid, neosporin)
        -Gloves (kevlar)
        -Seat organizer if you're going to have the car to yourself
        -Shirt stays or belt for your uniform
        -Small recorder (just in case)
        -I went to a local hotel and got one of the maps of the city they give out to tourists. Then I had it laminated and put it above the passenger side visor
        -Metal citation holder
        sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
          -Hand sanitizer
          -Small first aid kit for the glove box (band-aid, neosporin)
          -Gloves (kevlar)
          -Seat organizer if you're going to have the car to yourself
          -Shirt stays or belt for your uniform
          -Small recorder (just in case)
          -I went to a local hotel and got one of the maps of the city they give out to tourists. Then I had it laminated and put it above the passenger side visor
          -Metal citation holder
          How 'bout some Vick's VapoRub, Smurfette?
          1*

Comment

Good Lord, yes.

I have a binder thingy (yes, the technical term) with every single form my agency uses in there. Everything from crime scene logs to property sheets to business surveys. You just never know.
            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

One of the handiest things is either a small tool kit or a gerber tool/ leatherman. Nice to have for taking off license plates etc. I use my gerber tool all the time for a bunch of different things.
              The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Seat belt cutter that you can get to in a hurry. I also invested in those cheap walkie-talkies and gave one to my partner because our radios were not outstanding. You can also talk freely on them or relay information to be given to dispatch.
                Gimme a Diablo sammich and a Dr. Pepper, and make it snappy - I'm in a gotd**n hurry!

Comment

Get one of those aluminum clip boards that open up for reports and forms. i would also recomend getting a smaller one for tickets. Your number one priority should be a second flash light that you can wear on your belt. As flashlights go, one is none and two is one, they always die at the WORST possible time.

Comment

More handcuffs, including oversized cuffs...at LEAST two more pairs.

BIG one for me - back up gun (depending on your agency's policy).
                    "Martyr" - just a fancy word for "crappy fighter"

Comment

Other than extra cuffs, I wouldn't get anything for a year or two.

Take your extra money and put it in to a retirement account, savings account, under your bed... somewhere. Don't spend it on crap for work you may never need.

Or join the IBPO, PBA, or something else that will help you out when you get sued for doing you job.
                      "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

extra cuffs

BUG

multi tool

micro cassette/digital recorder

metal clip board/expandable file for forms

gloves for searches

However a lot of departments give you this stuff, for find out before purchasing it. It never hurts to have extra cuffs, knives, and guns though.

Comment

The only thing I would recommend is to go to office depot or someplace similar and purchase a small accordian type folder. When you get hired grab 4 or 5 of every form your department has. Lord knows it will be O'dark thirty 15 miles away from your department and you need a vehicle impound form. That only happens to you a couple of times before you get wise.
                          "Valor would cease to be a virtue, if there were no injustice." -Agesilaus the Great

Comment

I carry a full size flashlight on every traffic stop and every contact at night. It's not because i'm scared of the dark. At my agency its and authorized impact weapon. It just happens to be a flashlight.

Plus the full size is easier to hold/control under your armpit on a traffic stop.
                            The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

A decent digital camera has saved me alot of time....
                              Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
                              --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6306 users online. 351 members and 5955 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X