300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb trivial question

Ok, if you opened this thread in spite of the headline, don't complain that this is a dumb, trivial question and a waste of your time.

Suppose you have left a valuable object behind in a public place (such as a restaurant). The next day you call the restaurant and ask if the object was found. Someone says yes, he himself picked it up, and describes the location where it was left behind. He says he will put it in the office. Fine, you will pick the object up the next day.

The next day you go to the restaurant and find the person you talked to on the phone. He looks all over the place and cannot find it. He is certain he put it in a drawer inside the office but it is nowhere to be found. He says he will check with management about it. You call the next day and are told "if we find it we will call you."

Granted, the restaurant is not responsible for your valuable object if someone steals it while you are there or if you leave it behind and someone other than personnel picks it up.

However, once the object is in the official possession of the personnel who work there, does the restaurant have responsibility for its safekeeping?

I understand this does not rise to the level of a criminal case. (The object was worth about $100.) I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to pursue a small claims case against the restaurant.

The valuable object is a power cord to a Mac laptop. These are not easy to replace because you have to buy from a Mac store. It is quite possible that someone on the staff decided to keep it for his own use. But, obviously, there is no way to prove which individual took it.

I'll probably just chalk it up to lesson learned, but thought I'd check it out anyway.
    Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
    Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
    A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

In California it's called Theft of Lost Property and is treated as any other theft. The section reads as follows:

PC 485. One who finds lost property under circumstances which give him
    knowledge of or means of inquiry as to the true owner, and who
    appropriates such property to his own use, or to the use of another
    person not entitled thereto, without first making reasonable and just
    efforts to find the owner and to restore the property to him, is
    guilty of theft.

However, the value of such an item is so minimal that in reality, most prosecutors would not file on it.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Could you sue them? Maybe.

Is it worth your time and energy? I hope not. If it is you have way too much time on your hands.

You could buy a replacement here http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...5560&CatId=608 for $77 or try newegg.com

There's plenty of places you could probably find a used one cheaper (ebay, amazon, craigslist) If I could get away with it I'd send you my wifes and make her get something with an AMD chip in it.

Everything doesn't have to be a federal case. Especially when you're the one that lost it. Why on earth would you have it in a resaurant in the first place? Nevermind. I don't want to know. I've seen your other posts.
      "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

Judge Judy will gladly pick up this case on her show.
        Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Several folks (nearly everyone who answered) failed to notice that I said

I'll probably just chalk it up to lesson learned, but thought I'd check it out anyway.
          Y'all also failed to notice the friggin headline and first line, which say:

Dumb trivial question

Ok, if you opened this thread in spite of the headline, don't complain that this is a dumb, trivial question and a waste of your time.
          Of course, it's unreasonable to expect that people actually READ.

Had to buy a replacement immediately. Couldn't wait for ordering something online because I needed it the next day.

Why would I have something like this in a restaurant? Oh, how about the fact that the restaurant has WiFi and it's a great place to sit and do work (or have fun) away from my home?

I repeat:

Of course, I know that, despite the fact I have bolded that statement and put in in RED, I can be assured that the next poster will have failed to notice it.

Originally posted by 10-31Mike View Post
          Could you sue them? Maybe.

Is it worth your time and energy? I hope not. If it is you have way too much time on your hands.

You could buy a replacement here http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...5560&CatId=608 for $77 or try newegg.com

There's plenty of places you could probably find a used one cheaper (ebay, amazon, craigslist) If I could get away with it I'd send you my wifes and make her get something with an AMD chip in it.

Everything doesn't have to be a federal case. Especially when you're the one that lost it. Why on earth would you have it in a resaurant in the first place? Nevermind. I don't want to know. I've seen your other posts.
          Last edited by rubyrose; 08-17-2008, 11:48 AM.
          A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

Ruby dear...

Sorry love but you do have a history of posting some peculiar questions about things that happen to you. This is a public forum, and not everybody that visits this site is as mature as you or I. You need to understand the set-up you are putting yourself in when you post these things in an open public forum. Just deal with the sarcasm and scorn the same you would with a used tissue.

To answer your question without totally rebuffing L-1, this is kind of your fault. You lost it, and when someone said they had found it, you delayed a whole day before you decided to go back and get it. Having worked in the courts as a small claims bailiff for a commissioner, you aren't gunna get anything for your cable. And I as a peace officer probably wouldn't write a crime report on it either. Sorry dear.

Comment

Maybe you could file a claim through your homeowner's insurance?
              Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Oh, believe me, I expected sarcasm. Just throwing back a little of my own!

Ok, so this isn't going anywhere. I accept that. I was just p-o'ed that the manager of the store refused to pursue it further. They appear to have a thief in their midst, and it irks me that they will do nothing.

I've been a customer of that place for 10 years -- many of the workers know me by name and by order. AND I've posted rave reviews of the place in numerous locations, including my blog on the local newspaper. You would think they would be a little nicer to me.

Oh well.

BTW, I could go through my insurance. In that case I would need a crime report. However, my deductible is $250.

So...

Lesson learned. Check.

[On the other hand, I could post the story on my blog...]

Originally posted by Looker View Post
                Ruby dear...

Sorry love but you do have a history of posting some peculiar questions about things that happen to you. This is a public forum, and not everybody that visits this site is as mature as you or I. You need to understand the set-up you are putting yourself in when you post these things in an open public forum. Just deal with the sarcasm and scorn the same you would with a used tissue.

To answer your question without totally rebuffing L-1, this is kind of your fault. You lost it, and when someone said they had found it, you delayed a whole day before you decided to go back and get it. Having worked in the courts as a small claims bailiff for a commissioner, you aren't gunna get anything for your cable. And I as a peace officer probably wouldn't write a crime report on it either. Sorry dear.
                Last edited by rubyrose; 08-17-2008, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rubyrose View Post

Suppose you have left a valuable object behind in a public place (such as a restaurant). The next day you call the restaurant and ask if the object was found. Someone says yes, he himself picked it up, and describes the location where it was left behind. He says he will put it in the office. Fine, you will pick the object up the next day.

The next day you go to the restaurant and find the person you talked to on the phone. He looks all over the place and cannot find it. He is certain he put it in a drawer inside the office but it is nowhere to be found. He says he will check with management about it. You call the next day and are told "if we find it we will call you."

Granted, the restaurant is not responsible for your valuable object if someone steals it while you are there or if you leave it behind and someone other than personnel picks it up.

However, once the object is in the official possession of the personnel who work there, does the restaurant have responsibility for its safekeeping?
                  Once you left that property there unattended, it moved into the category of being "lost."

Comment

Lesson learned. Check.
                    Originally posted by CityCopDC View Post
                    Once you left that property there unattended, it moved into the category of being "lost."

Comment

Call Judge Wapner and next time dont forget anything

Comment

Ok.

I'll be glad it was just the power cord and not the laptop itself.

Comment

Are you from NYC?

If so, what resteraunt did go eat into that has WiFi?

I have been dying to find a wifi eating spot.
                          Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

No, not NYC.

There are NUMEROUS restaurants and coffee shops in m y area with wifi.

BTW, this can be helpful in identifying WiFi hot spots.

http://www.jiwire.com/

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                            Are you from NYC?

If so, what resteraunt did go eat into that has WiFi?

I have been dying to find a wifi eating spot.

Comment

Originally posted by rubyrose View Post

I understand this does not rise to the level of a criminal case. (The object was worth about $100.) I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to pursue a small claims case against the restaurant.

The valuable object is a power cord to a Mac laptop. These are not easy to replace because you have to buy from a Mac store. It is quite possible that someone on the staff decided to keep it for his own use. But, obviously, there is no way to prove which individual took it.

I investigated and charged a convenience store clerk for theft after a mailman left his wallet on the counter. The wallet was then placed under the counter for "safe keeping." The interviews and video camera footage that transpired were all very interesting. She ended up confessing, and the prosecutor got a conviction. I'm leaving out A LOT of significant details here.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4248 users online. 207 members and 4041 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X