300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hit and Run

This afternoon I went to get something to eat and after coming back out to my truck to get ready to leave, I see a car pull in the spot next to me and almost completely run up under the car it pulled behind and the back up and roll into the car again leaving noticeable damage. Well I looked at the girl who was driving and the passenger which was guy and could tell they weren't going to stay around. So I called 911 and told them what had happened and gave them the tag number on both cars and told her that they were leaving and gave them the direction of travel. Well about 10 min later a police car pulls up and I tell him what I saw and whatnot and he said he had the address from the tag I gave them and he would pay them a visit. My question is, what can she be charged with? Does the owner of the car that got hit have to press charges in order to do anything or will they charge her just going off what I told them and the damage to the cars? Also does it make a difference because it occurred in a parking lot which I assume is private property?

Thanks
    Nathan

In Indiana leaving the scene of a property damage accident is a class B misdemeanor. The cost of the damages should be covered by the insurance of the driver who caused the accident. If that driver doesn't have insurance then they can be ticketed, but assuming it is a first time offense they won't be charged with a crime.
    The same rules apply whether the accident occurs on public or private property.

Comment

Since she failed to comply with the law concerning an accident, in CA she would be charged with misdemeanor hit and run. She has a obligation to locate the owner and provide her name, address, insurance, etc. if unalble to locate the owner of the other vehicle, she must post in a conspicuous place the above information and IMMEDIATELY call the LE agency having jurisdiction for the area.
      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

In PA, hit and run on an UNoccupied vehicle is a summary, equal to a traffic ticket.
        PA bites
        I got nothing for now

Comment

Around here:

Class 2 Misdemeanor if you hit an unoccupied vehicle and leave the scene.

If someone is in the car and is injured or killed...... whoops: becomes a felony.
          1*

Comment

My question is, what can she be charged with? Does the owner of the car that got hit have to press charges in order to do anything or will they charge her just going off what I told them and the damage to the cars? Also does it make a difference because it occurred in a parking lot which I assume is private property?
            Hit and Run and Reckless Driving almost for sure under circumstances you describe.
            Maybe more depending on where facts lead me.
            The owner is the victim, I will need them to tell me any damage was not present before hand and to show up in court, but I'll actually be the one placing charges when placed, Hit & Run and Reckless Driving are two sections which apply on priovate or public property here. The 2 RD links above mention "highway". Highway is defined as:
            "Highway" means the entire width between the boundary lines of every way or place open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel in the Commonwealth, including the streets and alleys, and, for law-enforcement purposes, (i) the entire width between the boundary lines of all private roads or private streets that have been specifically designated "highways" by an ordinance adopted by the governing body of the county, city, or town in which such private roads or streets are located and (ii) the entire width between the boundary lines of every way or place used for purposes of vehicular travel on any property owned, leased, or controlled by the United States government and located in the Commonwealth.
            Parking lots open to the use of the public fit in the bolded part.
            Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 08-17-2008, 05:40 PM.
            "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4341 users online. 287 members and 4054 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X