300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police ?

Hello everyone I have a question about the shirts that say POLICE on them. A few people that know I have been hired as a police officer went and bought me shirts that say police on them and hats that say police as well.

My question is I don't know if I will feel comfortable advertising that I'm a cop. Should I wear these off duty ? What do you all think about wearing police T-shirts, caps off duty?

I am not ashamed of my job by any means but I'm just thinking officer safety issues.
    Last edited by rookie2006; 08-15-2008, 06:59 PM.
    My life is in GOD’s hands, and he hasn’t finished with me yet.

Well, first off... Your profile says you're not a cop so how could you be advertising that you are one?

Secondly... You can bet you wouldn't catch me dead wearing anything police related, unless I'm in full police uniform. Just think about it... "POLICE" emblazoned on a shirt or hat, or both, is a HUGE target.

Picture the headlines now:

Criminal Justice Student Wearing POLICE Shirt Killed During Robbery

Want that to be you???
    sigpic

Comment

My point of view and I mean nothing personal by it, but it would stupid to wear such items off-duty. The last thing you want to do is draw attention to yourself off-duty and make yourself a target for those who would do you harm regardless of if you are at work or off just because you are a cop. That's the main reason. For me, at three years in, when I am off, I am off. I need my break and don't want to wear anything which connects me to work.
      sigpic

Comment

Nevermind.....
        Last edited by wirefire2; 08-16-2008, 05:46 PM.

Comment

You dont EVER want to wear something that might ID you as being in Law Enforcement when you are off duty.....

Here are a few examples....and these are only from MY agency......in addition to these, we just lost a deputy who was murdered in a drive by in front of his house......the circs on that have not been determined yet

http://www.odmp.org/officer/18690-de...a-cecilia-rosa

http://www.odmp.org/officer/14952-de...ne-daniel-york

http://www.odmp.org/officer/858-depu...k-geuvjehizian

http://www.odmp.org/officer/6624-dep...-lance-holguin
          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

NYIllini, thanks for bringing that to my attention. I misread the OP and read it as "a few people that I know have been hired as a police officer."

So, rookie2006, sorry for the misunderstanding. I still, however, wouldn't wear those outside of work.

I feel like a moron now...
            Last edited by Guams; 08-14-2008, 09:48 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

wear it if you want. just make sure you're still in "condition yellow" while you're out.
              Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

I wont even wear my uniform on my way to work anymore. It is either jeans and a t-shirt, or a suit for court days. When I get to work I change into my uniform. If you wear police crap around off duty you might as well wear a t-shirt that says "Shoot Me", "Ask me for directions", "Bother me with stories about your dumb *** delinquent children", or "Tell me about the time you got pulled over". Not worth it leave it at work.

Comment

The only time I have done it is at certain department "functions" where what we did for a living wasn't going to be a big secret anyway. Other than that or without a little heat in your pocket; DON'T DO IT.
                  Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

Maybe you like the band the POLICE?

Who knows, just sayin.
                    Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Save it for range days and training days... or for the wife to sleep in.

Comment

Originally posted by L223 View Post
                        I wont even wear my uniform on my way to work anymore. It is either jeans and a t-shirt, or a suit for court days. When I get to work I change into my uniform. If you wear police crap around off duty you might as well wear a t-shirt that says "Shoot Me", "Ask me for directions", "Bother me with stories about your dumb *** delinquent children", or "Tell me about the time you got pulled over". Not worth it leave it at work.
                        Amen to the above. G1's.

Rarely if ever wear uniform to/from work. As for "Police" type clothing, not unless I know I'm going to be at an LEO function (ie. Police Week; Special Olympics; job cookout/picnic; etc). Other than that, it's faded blue jeans and a Harley T-shirt...untucked of course.
                        sigpic
                        Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                        And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Originally posted by Guams View Post

I feel like a moron now...
                          You're not alone, i had to re-read it as well
                          Dispatch, we have a 9-11, Armed Robbery in progress. Seay's Surplus Store, corner People's Drive and 124th Street.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I haven't changed my status under my name till after I have been sworn in. I have signed all my papers received my vest and uniform. I just don't get my badge and sworn in until next Tuesday or Weds. After I qualify at the range then we go and get sworn in .

No offense taken on the misunderstandings.

I will not be wearing these shirts that were bought for me . My whole concern was for officer safety issues but I wanted a second opinion. I see a couple people wearing these shirts around were I live and I think this is the reason these shirts were bought for me .

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                              Maybe you like the band the POLICE?

Who knows, just sayin.
                              No I don't like the band Police. Although I grew up in the eighties.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5595 users online. 319 members and 5276 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X