300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy Question

I just recently started the academy and am loving every second of it. The people in my class complain that the instructor is teaching more of what it is like to be a cop then what the book says. My take on it is I can read the book and teach myself what is in it, however I can not teach myself the amount of knowledge that our instructor is teaching us about how to really talk to people. So my question is, looking back would you rather have the book taught to you or be taught how to be a cop and learn the book on your own? Also if you had an instructor that taught you to be a cop was your FTO time easier to get use to then trying to do everything by the training manual?

The reality is that no one can teach you what it is like to be a cop, you really have to learn that yourself. For the academy, you really need to know what is in the books so you can pass the tests.

That said, anyone with the power of speech can teach what is in the book verbatim, the instructor needs to make the lessons interesting. I've found that I like instructors best that combine the necessary information with personal "war stories" about how that knowledge is applied in the real world.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Comment

Originally posted by Pauliegolf10 View Post
      I just recently started the academy and am loving every second of it. The people in my class complain that the instructor is teaching more of what it is like to be a cop then what the book says. My take on it is I can read the book and teach myself what is in it, however I can not teach myself the amount of knowledge that our instructor is teaching us about how to really talk to people. So my question is, looking back would you rather have the book taught to you or be taught how to be a cop and learn the book on your own? Also if you had an instructor that taught you to be a cop was your FTO time easier to get use to then trying to do everything by the training manual?
      The "Book: is great, but there's no substitute for experience. An Instructor who's "Been there, and done that" is an invaluable asset. The book and such an Instructor represents the best of both worlds. Your complaining classmates would do well to wise up and listen to this guy. At the end of the day though, you don't control them. Continue to make certain that you profit from this Instructor's experience. Good luck.

Comment

Books are good to learn policies and procedures and state/city laws. Having someone actually show and explain things to you are what count in my opinion. When you go out w/ other officers, you'll pull a little preference on how you treat people and how you act/handle calls. You'll also learn from your own personal experience. I don't know how many times I've re-evaluated myself on a call and go, "What the hell was I thinking?!?! Next time, I'll do it this way." You'll see what I mean. Keep learning for test reasons but you can't really gain the knowledge until you're the one w/ the gun and badge being sent on calls in real life. The academy teaches you the basics in how not to get your Asz kicked. You'll have to teach yourself through experience and others how to be a cop.

Comment

Book learnin is a necessity, but what is in the book will be applied completely differently than the way it is written.
          Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Our instructors would teach us what the book said and then say "This is what the book says....now this is how it is going to be when you get out there." You need what is in the book to pass the test...you need what the older guys say to survive on a daily basis. The guys that have been on for a while are an invaluable resource. Pay attention.
            "When I came home, people often asked me about Iraq, and mostly I told them it wasn't so bad. I didn't know how to explain myself to them. The war really wasn't so bad. Yes, there were bombs and shootings and nervous times, but that was just the job. In fact, going to war is rather easy. You react to situations around you and try not to die. There are no electric bills or car payments or chores around the house. Just go to work, come home alive, and do it again tomorrow." - Brian Mockenhaupt

Comment

I feel the academy is there to teach the trainees the foundation of being a good cop. As stated by another member, you need the book to pass the test, you don't pass then you don't become the cop. Also, I feel it is not the class room instructor's job to teach you to be a good cop, it is your training officer's job to do that.

Comment

Thanks for all your responses. We have been learning what’s in the book it is just not read verbatim from the book. For example we were talking about the order in how to conduct interviews. Complainant says that guy on scene has gun and shot that dude, who do we interview first? The class said witnesses because that’s what the book says. Teacher and common sense says we are going to get the gun from the dude that is still on scene first, because the book also says that when determining order of interviews we first need to control the scene for safety reasons. Then we talk about how to control that scene and what you can do legally and guys complain we spend to much time talking about legal stuff.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5909 users online. 322 members and 5587 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X