Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• semperfiguy131
    replied
    The Corps is a great decision. Being a Marine will make you more marketable ( I think thats a word). Try looking into a skill that you will enjoy on your enlistment. I wish I did. During my 10 years active/reserve, I met some grunts who couldn't crack an egg, and some pastry chefs at the chow hall who I would not even think of messing with. Bottom line, It really wont matter later when you become a cop. You'll do fine in you career either way.

Leave a comment:

• Mabbottusmc
    replied
    Also in my area, SoCAL. The USMC is going away from MP's in garrison. They still have field MP's but
    The have civilians doing the policing work on base more and more until they totally take over.

Leave a comment:

• D.o.D cop
    replied
    I haven't read the other posts, but I can tell you this: By being a former Marine it played well into my application and eventual hiring success. Thankfully a former Marine was already employed by my Department and showed signs of all the Marine Corps values: Honor, Courage, Commitment. Also, they liked the loyalty, integrity, and instant willingness to obey orders (again: discipline). Myself and that other Officer do not question orders unless somethings seems extremely fishy (I.e Unlawful, which has not happened) and we do not argue or question supervisors. Admin and brass love our mentality.

I can tell you this: Joining the Marines will NOT hurt you in the future, but provides a better future for you. I still miss the Corps to this very day (damn bum knee).

Leave a comment:

• tutt101
    replied
    Well, I can respond to this one pretty good I think. It’s exactly what I did. 1993 I went to a Marine recruiter and said, “MP or I don’t sign.” I got 5811, MP. I did it because my thinking at the time was, “do it for a maximum of four years and if you don’t like it, it’s not your career!” As it turned out, I loved it, and it was as close to a civilian officer I could have got. Assigned to a base in southern California and, unlike those that get assigned to a unit and follow that unit wherever it goes, WW3 could have broken out and I would have been sitting on that base.
    Anyway, I would say consider doing something else for two reasons.
    1) departments just like the military, especially the Corps, no matter what your MOS. And
    2) The flexibility you get in the military will get you’re a** sued in civilian LE, and possibly charged criminally! If you get too used to doing things the Marine Corps Military Police way, you may get yourself into a LOT of trouble in your civilian career!
    If you do another job and get used to kicking someone’s a** whenever you want, it will be easier to transition when you change fields. But habits die hard and create the bad habits and you could go down hard.
    Just some thoughts!
    Simper Fidelis!

Leave a comment:

• Mabbottusmc
    replied
    Get a mos that isn't going to kill your body. Infantry and some other supporting infantry can wear your body much faster then other jobs. I'm assuming you want to pass your physical for the department your applying for right?

Leave a comment:

• usmcrob
    replied
    Go 03xx, every other MOS in the Marine Corps is there to support the Grunts on the ground. You will get plenty of LE training if/when you get to an academy.

Leave a comment:

• K9Tom
    replied
    I did 4 years in the Corps as an 0311 and I would not trade it for anything. I thought about MP and decided on infantry. The MP's I saw were working the gates mostly. Look into as many different mos's you can and think about what you would enjoy. You don't have to be an 03 or an MP to become a good cop. The military discipline will help you all around and make the transition to becoming a cop easier. I see alot of college educated people at my department that will come right out and tell a Cpl. or Sgt. that they won't do something becuase they don't want to. Pick what you want to do and enjoy it the best you can. You will make some lifelong firends and learn alot about life. Good Luck Semper Fi

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I was an 0352 I loved the infantry. That said you need to take the MOS you want not the one that will advance your career. If your hearts not into being an 03 than you shouldn't do it. Look at the world today... You enlist into 0351 / 0311 odds are your gonna go into harms way at least once or twice. Something to think about.

Hobbsie

Leave a comment:

• NORCOCOP
    replied
    In the vain of what MRDEO said, I recently was looking into a re-enlistment. I was hard pressed to find an infantry opening anywhere close and was told about the counter intel-intel jobs. Seemed intresting you learn about gathering intel from hostile and friendly sources and working with the CO to come up with where, when, and how to deploy the grunts for the most effect. Even better you can go on any of the missions/forays you would like and participate, from what I was told by the guys in the local unit I was hooked up with. Since our job requires dealing with people so much, it seemed like an intresting option. Not to mention there is a real shortage of them so they can drop into about any deployment they want, from what I was told...

Leave a comment:

• DETSGT
    replied
    Good luck on whatever you decide..
    Semper Fie Former U.S.M.C. and Ret Det. Sergeant with 25 year's in Atlantic City N.J. P.D.

Leave a comment:

• mdrdep
    replied
    I will break with my brothers here a little bit. Everyone is pushing for infantry but there is a myraid of MOS's in the Corps. All Marines are trained in basic infantry skills and must maintain these skills, so why not try something else and really broaden your horizons.

Be a Cannon Cocker blow big things into little things from 17 miles away! Or lower the tube and do a little direct fire if you want to see them blown away. Plus our motto was, "If you can't truck it, F&(* it"

Of course you'll spend the rest of your life going, "Huh? Couldn't hear you".

Leave a comment:

• wirefire2
    replied
    Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
    Whatever you choose to do in the Corps will simply make you an all around better canidate, not to mention American Citizen. However don't go into MP's thinking it will be like being a street cop, they are two different beasts. Although there are similarities. Personally I went into the artillery to do something completly different from what I would do as a career. Besides it was just fun to watch things blow up.
    One of the most re-memorable things my father said to me after I only did 4 years in the Marines was that I had changed a lot, and for the better.

Joining the Marines, and doing what you're supposed to do and being a good Marine, will make you an all around better person. I never really understood what integrity, honor, virtue, and real courage were until I became a Marine.

Unfortunately as far as MP's go (I was one) Marines no longer provide security for their bases and is handled by civilians now. I consider myself lucky now that I was one that few generations that got do law enforcement on a base (although it is similar to regular law enforcement it is still unique). For the most part MP's carry on with their roles of flight line security or field MP's in which they deal with enemy prisoners of war, route recon, convoy security, rear area security, and supporting the infantry in way possible.

The military discipline and sense of duty you learn is what any cop can use. And besides you get a free college education out of it too. I still believe you can join up for two year active duty tours and then the rest is inactive reserve.

Leave a comment:

• Nightshift va
    replied
    This story is the truth: Yesterday while I was on duty in a local truck stop store catching a break in between calls talking to the clerks and my buddy some vagarant man looking woman approached me of all people in the store and asked me if I saw Albert Einstein walking around would I treat him differently if I didn't know he was a genius, I quickly told the lady why are you talking to me? and no I would treat einstein the same as any other citizen with schizophrenia (spelling oh well) the bottom line was though she didn't know me from adam she just felt compelled'' to let me know that we cops shouldn't judge a book by it's cover after I enlightend her that by her "assuming" US" COPS" did that she was doing the same thing and then I told her I wasn't impressed all that much with Einstein anyway", and it was funny to watch her eyes get big and say WHAT ARE YOU KIDDING?? The man was a mathematical genius!! as if to say 'you moron copper" you just don't know..and I looked right in her face and asked her "Do you know who Chesty Puller was?? and of course she had no clue then I told her Chesty Puller did more for this country than any genius did and you don't even know his name so why should your ramblings mean JACK to me, please walk away from me mam...I just thought the whole thing applied since we were on the Marine subject...it was funny though...freakin hippie liberals.....

Leave a comment:

• Nightshift va
    replied
    Originally posted by ateamer View Post
    All I can tell you is that some of the finest deputies I have worked with were Marine infantry. All it did was help them.
    I do not know you but I'm proud you have that opinion and ofcourse agree as a former 0331 Jarhead and I can say it definately has helped me in this Career on SO MANY issue's in this field...To the original poster, go for it and GOD SPEED..You will not ever regret serving in the Marine Corps Infantry and I think you for doing so and see nothing negative about a man who wishes to serve his country by taking the bull by the horns..More power to you young man..GO FOR IT...Even if you do not become a Cop it will effect everthing you do in your future and determine what type of man you become.

Leave a comment:

• ignignokt373
    replied
    As everyone has said, no matter what career field you will be in during your stint with the Corps, you will be fine as long as you stay in shape, have good credit, and get a good discharge.

My advice is to get any leadership or training schools that you can, try to take some college classes from a decent college/university on-line or on-post, and have fun.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3768 users online. 232 members and 3536 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X