300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the Marines

I plan on joining the Marines after graduating from high school (I'm currently a junior and am going to do DEP after this year). I plan on becoming an LEO afterwards and I wanted to know if it would benefit me better to do infantry (0311 or 0351) or doing MP. I'm very interested in both, but just wanted to know which one could give me that little edge whether it be, mentally, physically or anything involving police work. Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by erevard; 08-13-2008, 01:37 AM.

All I can tell you is that some of the finest deputies I have worked with were Marine infantry. All it did was help them.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Whatever you choose to do in the Corps will simply make you an all around better canidate, not to mention American Citizen. However don't go into MP's thinking it will be like being a street cop, they are two different beasts. Although there are similarities. Personally I went into the artillery to do something completly different from what I would do as a career. Besides it was just fun to watch things blow up.
      Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
      Albert Einstein

Comment

You will already spend a minimun of 20 years 30 in most areas doing police work if it fits for you. You will attend an academy that teashes you POLICE tactics, proceedures, and policies. Why not give your self a good mix in life and do go grunt. Not to mention like it was stated above, I have the utmost respect for the officers who have come from the Marine infantry and so do all of the other guys I work with. They won't outright admit it, but they are all happy when crap is going bad when a cool handed jar head pulls on scene. There is something to be said for the stress inocculation introduced to any combat veteran and it shows when the chips are down. But in todays climate you will get that in either job you pick.

In either case you can't go wrong, on one hand you will be onepart of the finest fighting force on earth and on the other... Oh wait there is no down side

Comment

Just join and let the recruiter decide for you. That way when you don't get what you want you can't say he lied to you.

Comment

Just join and let the recruiter decide for you. That way when you don't get what you want you can't say he lied to you.

Comment

I think this question comes up every week. Do what you want to do because you want to do it.

Comment

I am currently applying for departments here in Michigan. MP in some departments is asked for, but in general they just want to see an honorbly discharge. After you get out of the Corps the GI bill pays me 1101.00 a month just to go to school, use that dang GI Bill after you get out. Oh ya, and since bush has been in office I have watched the GI bill increses by 100$ You can say all you want about bush but he does take care of vets. I was an 0351 it was awesome targeting armored vehicles or iraqi's on the back of pick-up trucks booom!!!!!! dead.
                Last edited by _GLOCK_; 08-13-2008, 09:29 AM.

Comment

I'm a former Marine. Looking back over my LE career, my service in the Corps aided me in many ways. At the end of the day, your MOS won't really matter, the character of your service will. What I'm referring to here, is the Honorable Discharge you'll earn as a result of your service. You'll still need to test well in all phases of the hiring process. If you apply to a Civil Service agency, it's possible your military service will provide you with Veteran's Preference points (usually 3-5 points) on your written exam. Your military experience will be of considerable value to you in a military style Academy. It will also help provide you with the discipline and team player ethic required in many Law Enforcement agencies. This is merely my .02, and I'm certain many of my colleagues will provide you with some great advice. Good luck to you.

Comment

As has already been mentioned, MOS will really not matter. I will offer this though... your time in the Marines will be one of the best experiences in your life. During that experience why not do something that you cannot do in the civilian world and make the most of it?

I opted for being a Grunt and ended up as a Machinegunner. I wouldn't trade that assignment and the experiences I have from it for anything. This is not a jab at any other MOS as all Marines are Marines and it take the whole team to fight. But the TIP of the Spear is the Grunts, it's much more fun and fullfilling taking the toughest route!!!

Regardless of which MOS you choose, devote 100% of yourself and enjoy it while you can! It will suck at times, if not quite a bit but when you look back you will miss it greatly!
                    sigpic

Comment

As a recruiter separating military service members and members of the guard and reserves are a preferred hiring group.

I am not concerned about the candidate's MOS, rating, or specialty code. I am interested in their self discipline, problem solving skills, and the ability to relate to a diverse group of people. Those skills are more highly developed in service members. The service member starts developing those skills on day one of boot camp, recruit training, or basic.

You will find police recruiters visiting military installations to recruit. As an example, I was at MCAS Cherry Point last Friday,tomorrow I will be at MCAS New River, and next Tuesday I will be at Camp Lejeune.

erevard; regardless of the MOS you will stand out candidate.

Comment

I did my four years as an 0351 a while back. I'm sure Marine is a plus, Marine infantry may even be better.

When I was in (92-96) 0351 was harsh on promotions to NCO. The rumor was that the Javelin was going to replace the SMAW, and that they wanted to push out the Marines trained on the SMAW instead of re-training them for the Javelin. Funny... they still have both weapons systems. I had enough points for Sgt in other infantry MOS's before I got CPL(day one of terminal leave). Don't know how it is now.

I wouldn't trade my time in for anything. I'm currently a candidate for a few departments and they all look favorable on prior-Marines.

Comment

Originally posted by erevard View Post
                          I plan on joining the Marines after graduating from high school (I'm currently a junior and am going to do DEP after this year). I plan on becoming an LEO afterwards and I wanted to know if it would benefit me better to do infantry (0311 or 0351) or doing MP. I'm very interested in both, but just wanted to know which one could give me that little edge whether it be, mentally, physically or anything involving police work. Thanks for any advice.
                          I was never in the military, but I respect your decision. Ironically, not five minutes ago I just traffic stopped a Marine sergeant who I guess was a recruiter due to the blue minivan with U.S. tags he was driving. I told him why I stopped him, and why he couldn't do what he was doing before I stopped him. He replied, "Yes, sir, I understand. Thank you." I said, "Thank you. Be safe," and I walked away.

Comment

I was an 0351 (line company SMAW team) also, and most of the military veteran troopers I worked with were grunts of one flavor or another. I was in from 90-97, and as one of my compadres stated, promotions were brutal. I had a high enough cutting score to make Sgt as an 0311 when I was a LCpl.

Having said that, the discipline you get from the infantry will stick with you all of your days. If you see combat, double it. Either way, you will have a solid skill available the rest of your life, and it will be extremely beneficial to a law enforcement career.

Best of luck with your decision, and give it all you got.

Semper Fi!
                            Gimme a Diablo sammich and a Dr. Pepper, and make it snappy - I'm in a gotd**n hurry!

Comment

Thanks a lot for all the advice guys. The Marines has been something that I've wanted to do for a long time. My grandpa, dad, four of my uncles and my brother were all in it and hearing their stories just gave me a feeling inside that this is something I need to do, not just for myself, but for my country.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4935 users online. 293 members and 4642 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X