300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car accident and no car insurance...

a couple of weeks ago my mother was in a car accident. it was her fault. she thought she was at a four way stop but it ended up being a two way stop. she was making a left turn, pulled out in front of someone and got t-boned. we picked up the police report the other day and it said the other driver had no car insurance. being that this is illegal in California, would you have to write her a citation for this? would you give her a break being that she was just in a car accident? what are the consequences of not having car insurance? their car was towed but i do not know if it was from the accident or because she didn't have car insurance. thank you for the replies.
    This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

"Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

No insurance = Tickets. Car remains in the impound until you get insurance or have it towed outta there.
    Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

I always write someone if they can't give me a current insurance card....I usually get the excuse "the new card is at home"...since I've done this myself I can relate but I still write the ticket and tell the person that if they mail in a copy of the insurance card by the court date the charge will get scratched....Not having a current card bugs me to no end.

Comment

Yep, no proof=summons to see the judge.
        If your at fault and have no insurance i believe they should hold you until you have paid the claim for the other person. That way we can sell your organs if you can't pay the other claim.
        The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

In Alabama, regardless of fault, the driver without insurance would have his License suspended under provisions of the Alabama Safety Responsibility Act. This amounts to an indefinite suspension, which means the DL remains suspended until such time as the uninsured driver can show evidence of insurance.. Re-instatement of the DL is pretty costly. It's far cheaper in the long run, to carry the liability insurance required by law.

Comment

Honestly, its not fair to the other party if your mother caused the accident and doesnt have the insurance to cover it. Driving w/o insurance in PA will cause you to lose your drivers license for up to a year along with huge fines. Having insurance is very important b/c it reassures other drivers that you have funds to cover any accidents. Since it is very important, then a ticket is guarenteed.

Comment

For Indiana, getting caught without insurance once is a ticket, the second time a misdemeanor (certain exceptions, but as a general rule.)

If someone doesn't have proof of insurance at a crash scene, regardless of fault, I write them. If they show up to court with proof that they did in fact have insurance as of the date of the crash, I'll have the prosecutor drop although they are still technically guilty as you are required to carry the current card with you while driving.

A second offense is a misdemeanor, and I will issue a summons for it.

I've also cited the owner of a vehicle for permitting operation of an uninsured vehicle where appropriate, which is also a citation on the first offense, misdemeanor if the vehicle is a recovery vehicle (tow truck) or the ower has a prior insurance violation.
              I miss you, Dave.
              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by R0WADDS View Post
                Honestly, its not fair to the other party if your mother caused the accident and doesnt have the insurance to cover it. Driving w/o insurance in PA will cause you to lose your drivers license for up to a year along with huge fines. Having insurance is very important b/c it reassures other drivers that you have funds to cover any accidents. Since it is very important, then a ticket is guarenteed.
                my mother had insurance the other lady did not.

Comment

Originally posted by FireCop86 View Post
                  a couple of weeks ago my mother was in a car accident. it was her fault. she thought she was at a four way stop but it ended up being a two way stop. she was making a left turn, pulled out in front of someone and got t-boned. we picked up the police report the other day and it said the other driver had no car insurance. being that this is illegal in California, would you have to write her a citation for this? would you give her a break being that she was just in a car accident? what are the consequences of not having car insurance? their car was towed but i do not know if it was from the accident or because she didn't have car insurance. thank you for the replies.
                  Every driver in CA is required to have insurance on the vehicle being driven. Irrespective of what causes an officer to have contact with that person, if s/he is unable to provide proof of insurance, or does not have any insurance, s/he is subject to enforcement action. That will always be a "Notice To Appear", most likely loss of the vehicle, and a suspension of the registration of the vehicle by the DMV unless or until proof of insurance is submitted. and lastly, loss of driving privileges. It makes no difference who is at fault in the incident.

ref: California Vehicle Code Sections: 4000.37, 16020, 16028, 16029, et al.

There are other sections and you may easily find them within the code.
                  Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by juicesnn4e2
                    Today I had an accident in a private lot (parking lot of a gas station). Old man left his car running, AND in gear, and went inside the store to get a drink (as he says). Lady sitting her car, gets ramed by unoccupied car of the man. He turns out to have no insurance. He swears up and down he does, but cant produce an insurance card and the computer and acic comfirms he doesnt. And we STILL cant issue a ticket cuz its private property. But we did wait for him to leave the gas station and immediatly pull him over. Ahahaha. impound.
                    LOL that is what you get for not having insurance. nice heads up thinking about waiting to get him when he drove of the PP

Comment

thank you for all the replies guys!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4680 users online. 304 members and 4376 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X