300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older cars in service?

I notice there was an old thread on this, hoping to revive it. Are there any depts out there that use the older body style (before 99) or even older Crown Vic? I thought it wasn't possible until I was driving through backwoods West Virginia and saw what appeared to be a mid 80s police van

One thing that irritates me in movies (superbad for example, also Hancock) where they use the pre 1999 crown vic for police chase scenes.... I understand its probably a lot cheaper to beat up a 1998 crown vic than a 2001 for a police chase scene but its about as distracting to me as the blatant disregard for officer safety in other hollywood law enforcement scenes.

Whats the oldest car youve seen in service(in the last year), does your dept use any crown vics from before 99?

Also, how do you guys keep your squads in fairly decent body shape? I do similar driving with my car for work and no matter what precautions I take I always get stuck behind a gravel truck on the freeway (salt and peppered hood) or get new scratches every time I park in a parking lot. Do police cars use better paint?
    Last edited by michiganDT; 08-08-2008, 09:44 PM.

Also, how do you guys keep your squads in fairly decent body shape?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Good one!

Look closer, we're just distracting you with the pretty lights!
    If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

Really? When you're watching a movie what matters to you is the year of the vehicle they're doing chases with?

Comment

I'm driving a 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 police package with about 82,000 miles on it. If others before me had driven it more then I'd probably have something newer.

Comment

We still have a lot of 99 CV'S in service on our department. They are SLOWLEY replacing them with newer ones. I was one of the unfortunate guys to get a 2000 Impala with 97,000 miles on it. I'll probably have that car for a long time before I get a new one!

Comment

My first car (issued in 2006 and since replaced) was a 1996 Chevy Lumina issued to me with 168,000 miles on the clock.

Comment

Ooooof.. well we don't have any luminas, but there are a few 1997 CV's around here, with a dashboard like the Starship Enterprise.

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
                I'm driving a 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 police package with about 82,000 miles on it. If others before me had driven it more then I'd probably have something newer.
                Whats different on the Police Package Jeeps, I thought that they were the same as the civilian Jeeps.

Comment

There's at least one 1997 CV that's a pool car, but I don't think anyone has an assigned car that's older than 1999.
                  I miss you, Dave.
                  http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

We have a 1997 C.V. still in service with 198k miles. It's going this year though. For some reason the night shift Sgt. doesn't want to see it go....

Comment

We still have 1997 CV's as well. Heck we have some 1998 MY cars with close to 120K on the clock and they (fleet) are dumb enough to put the new computer system in them. What a waste... While we have a whole lot full of newer cars waiting to be outfitted...
                      "Oro En Paz, Fierro En Guerra"
                      "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
                      - Attributed to both George Orwell and Winston Churchill (unsourced)
                      Californian by birth, Cardinals fan by marriage!

Comment

When I first started a few years ago we had a '97 Crown Vic. We have gotten rid of it and I believe the oldest patrol car we have now is an '02 or '03 Impala. With the purchase of our Chargers we are going to a fleet plan which will automatically retire a car once it hits it's third "birthday" regardless of the mileage on the car.
                        sigpic

Comment

Shoot, we will never have Chargers...until the Vics go up. lol
                          The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                          that we are all that stands between
                          the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Wyoming Highway Patrol cars "mile out" at 75k miles, which gets you a new car about every two years. The oldest car in our division right now is a 2007, as half of us just cycled into new rides at the start of this year.
                            Taking a year off to travel the USA with my family. You can follow our adventures on our website: www.TheGreatAdventureTour.com
                            sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6037 users online. 318 members and 5719 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X