300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• England cops without firearms

I was just curious about a couple of things.

1. Why don't cops in England carry firearms? (Seems like cutting their legs out from under them to me)

2. What are they supposed to do if they encounter someone with a gun shooting people or shooting at them?
    sigpic

Uhm, call time out and ask for an armed officer?

It's my understanding that a number of them are now armed but they carry it in the trunk of their car. I know there are a few around here hopefully one can provide you better answers.
    Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Comment

from a UK firearms Officer (Yahoo)
      ------------------------

Your average UK response officer / beat officer carries a baton, cuffs and CS gas / Parva.

However, each force within England and Wales have Firearms Departments, which operate to provide an adequate response to the criminal use of firearms. This is done by having patrolling ARV's (Armed Response Vehicles), available to respond to spontaneous incidents.

Armed officers also conduct pre-planned firearms operations to arrest individuals, following a risk assessment of the individual. Tactics used all depends on the nature of the risk.

At present the the numbers of firearms officers is adequate. Yes we hear of more shootings, however having more firearms officers on the streets will not negate this. The shootings will still occur. What we do need is robust sentencing to a) Take offenders off the streets for a long time and b) Send out the right message to all the other people who carry and use firearms.

All recent surveys by th Police Federation show that the vast majority of UK officers do not want to be armed.

Very rarely do officers come face to face with armed criminals. We will all remember recent incidents where UK officers were shot and killed attending incidents. Having a firearm will not necessarily prevent this. On the occasions that I remember the officers were responding to incidents where no firearm was mentioned. On one occasion the officer was a firearms officer and was shot before he had time to react to the threat.

My personal opinion, is that response officers are armed with Taser. These are being trialled on non-firearms officers in a number of UK forces. The biggest threat to those officers is from edged weapons. Hopefully this will endeavor to give those officers the protection they need and the capability to deal with such subjects.

Comment

Well its rare for any police officer to have to use their gun, but the point is that its their if they need it. Hell just watch any "Wildest police videos" episode and you will see plenty of cops making very good use of their weapons. As I said before, those incidents are very rare, but I can't imagine what those officers would have done if they did not have their sidearms, especially in rural areas where backup could be miles away. Even in the city, having to wait a few minutes for someone to arrive with a weapon could cost you your life.
        sigpic

Comment

So many tactics go out the window without a firearm... how do you clear a building? how do you do a high risk car stop?

Requesting an armed officer to assist when the crap hits the fan is insanity... reaction time is everything in those situations and having to rely on an other officer that may be minutes away is just not safe.

The Majority of police work can be done safely without a firearm, but I wouldn't want to be be caught without one when my life is on the line.

Comment

Originally posted by jb5722
            from my experience traveling abroad, in countries like this their average officer may not carry a firearm, but the officer's who are, carry significant firepower, ex the armed response unit i saw in london were equipped with mp5's.
            Well if it were up to me, every officer would have a rifle in his car. This armed response thing is a bunch of BS.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KY Blue 72 View Post
              Why don't cops in England carry firearms?
              Tradition mainly. However, as has been pointed out elsewhere, all forces now have patrolling firearms officers to deal with firearms incidents. My lot have Sig Sauers on their hip and have G36's in the boot (trunk).

What are they supposed to do if they encounter someone with a gun shooting people or shooting at them?
              Call for assistance and make a tactical withdrawal (run away).
              I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Corner. View Post
                lol...tactical withdrawal

Comment

Brave Sir Robin ran away, away....

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Corner. View Post
                    Tradition mainly. However, as has been pointed out elsewhere, all forces now have patrolling firearms officers to deal with firearms incidents. My lot have Sig Sauers on their hip and have G36's in the boot (trunk).

G36's are sweet, but LOL at tactical withdrawals. That sounds just silly to me. Not only are you a sitting duck, but this allows the armed suspect to flee as well if he chooses, and commit crime on another day.
                    sigpic

Comment

#1. Answer

Originally posted by sotzo View Post
                      So many tactics go out the window without a firearm... how do you clear a building? how do you do a high risk car stop?

Requesting an armed officer to assist when the crap hits the fan is insanity... reaction time is everything in those situations and having to rely on an other officer that may be minutes away is just not safe.

The Majority of police work can be done safely without a firearm, but I wouldn't want to be be caught without one when my life is on the line.
                      Well said!!
                      Take care and stay safe!
                      Ralph8119
                      A Little Something Else For Those 60's & 70's Music Lovers On Line!
                      sigpic
                      http://www.myfreenetradio.com/listen70s.asx

A Cool Website On History In Photos Of The New York City Police Department!
                      http://www.policeny.com/home.html

Policelink!
                      http://policelink.monster.com/member/Ralph8119

Inside The New York City Police Academy!
                      http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pr/videos.shtml

Comment

I was just curious about a couple of things.

1. Why don't cops in England carry firearms? (Seems like cutting their legs out from under them to me)

2. What are they supposed to do if they encounter someone with a gun shooting people or shooting at them?
                        Another reason this country is better. If anything our duty weapons "the sidearm" are inferior enough as it is to the point now that most agencies are waking up and issuing their patrol officers patrol rifles like the M4's. I couldn't imagine taking steps backwards to the way we already are at a disadvantage and being a "bobbie" with a nightstick and a firearm locked in a trunk, absolutely retarded.
                        "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Nightshift va View Post
                          Another reason this country is better. If anything our duty weapons "the sidearm" are inferior enough as it is to the point now that most agencies are waking up and issuing their patrol officers patrol rifles like the M4's. I couldn't imagine taking steps backwards to the way we already are at a disadvantage and being a "bobbie" with a nightstick and a firearm locked in a trunk, absolutely retarded.
                          Hopefully one day police departments will start issuing these bad boys:
                          sigpic

Comment

Hopefully one day police departments will start issuing these bad boys:
                            Dont hold your breath......

I dont know of ANY agencies that authorize the FN5.7, never mind issuing it.......
                            The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by JI603 View Post
                              Brave Sir Robin ran away, away....
                              ...bravely ran away, away...when danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled..."

One of the greatest movies of all time.
                              "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5885 users online. 346 members and 5539 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X