300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLETC...Forest Service Questions?

I will be heading down to FLETC at Glynco, GA in a month or so.

I was curious to see if anyone has gone through the Forest Service Training or could give me any advice....class, day to day, pt, housing, etc...

Thank you for all your help...first post in this forum!

Very Respectfully,

Will

nothing???

Comment

Which class are you talking about LMPT? I'm supposed to be going to that in October but haven't been given a specific date. I'll probably hear more once I get out of the sandbox I'm playing in right now.

I'm not USFS but that class is mixed with many other land management agencies. There could be NPS, BLM, FWS, TVA, DoD, etc. As far as FLETC particulars, search the threads, there are several that discuss various aspects. From what I've read as far as living conditions...well let's just say that after 6 months over here, I'll be looking at another dose of the same thing. Oh yeah, minus the little gifts the locals like to launch over the wall.

Good luck.
      Last edited by TJMS81; 08-06-2008, 09:15 AM.

Comment

That will be the course I am going through sometime in October. I'm sure it can't be as bad as Mortaritaville...i've been "over there" many times.

Just trying to get some of the particulars on the class itself. I've read that it is 89 days long...but have been told it was upto 4 months long?

Comment

Originally posted by SpongeTheOc View Post
          I'm sure it can't be as bad as Mortaritaville...
          I guess I need to clarify....there are only so many ways you can cook a chicken. And don't refer to the cornish game hens as pigeons. The cooks don't like that.

I can't give you any other information than that because I'm in the same boat you are. It'll be my first trip there too.

Hopefully I'll see you in class.

Comment

Hopefully there are some other people in this forum that could give US some information about the class.

Be safe over there man...you'll be home soon.

Comment

1811 or Officer?
              The Forest Service Special Agents go to CITP with the rest of the SA's from various agencies.
              I can't help with the uniformed side. Sorry.
              "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Comment

I will be going through the LMPT class as an Forest Service Officer. I've read on the FLETC website that it's only 89 days? I've heard otherwise, upto 4 months? Thanks everyone...

Comment

Originally posted by GB0610
                  When I attended LMPT a bit over 2/2 1/2 years ago it was 4 months total. The FS also sends its Officers back to 2 weeks at a later date for Agency specific and drug investigation training.

Training is typically from 0730-1600. There will be a bit of night instruction as well once you are well into the training.
                  Do a search on FLETC to get the other information you requested. If you have any course specific questions, go ahead and shoot them over.
                  Thank you for the info...opposed to other courses, what kind of training is involved...thank you.

Comment

LMPT is the only complete Police Academy at FLETC. You will get instruction in vehicle pursuit, interviewing, patrol functions, law, firearms (shotgun, rifle, pistol) and so on and so on......just like a local PD academy. You will also do a continuing case investigation that is related to what you will likely be doing on the job (mock marijuana cultivation investigation). The PT/DT is NOW state of the art at FLETC. You get true professionals who have real world fighting and training experience.

There are some courses that aren't needed, but for the most part, I hear they have really refined the training since I went through.
                    Wow...that was very beneficial information!!! I'm curious to see if the tempo is comparable to the military. I.E. the screaming and yelling, constant marching, running..etc...I was active duty air force (SF) for 4 years. Thanks!!

Comment

No marching, no drill sgt/yelling, but there will be weekly inspections of your uniform before class. It will be NO biggy for a prior military person. Be ready to roll in the mat room and to go for some decent length runs (4-5 miles).
                      Do you recall the attire you wear to class day to day. Those 4-5 mile runs at a decent pace or the good ole' "truffle shuffle"?

Comment

Thanks for the info....I really do appreciate all your help. Do you have any other details regarding the training you could provide? Any good do's or dont's? Thanks again.

Comment

Any word on the start dates for October? I am supposed to be going soon, but am waiting for the schedule to come out.

Comment

Hey forest guy I am in your situation as well but I was told November since my EOD is 12 Oct. What area did you get picked up for?

Comment

Monticello, UT. I get off orders next week and will try to get to know the Forest Service and my area until my school date. Have you seen any hard dates or just estimates?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4400 users online. 300 members and 4100 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X