300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verbal Judo

I'm looking for a good book on "Verbal Judo". I just want to learn how to talk your way out of situations before going hands on. Any thoughts?

Stop posting here!! Move to the side!!! Stop resisting!!!!

Did it work? You talk your way out of problems by just talking to people and not ordering or confronting them. WHile doing this your must have command persence (Or total confidence in yourself).
    Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

type in Verbal Judo in a search engine....there's a book that's titled exactly that, Verbal Judo.

Just as said above, it's about talking to someone, communication, getting them to do what you want without mother fin them
      Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Gerbil Voodoo is far more effective anyway!
        "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
        sigpic

Comment

Verbal Judo relies on two things, IMHO.

1. An ability to relate to an individual enough so that you can at least pretend to "see the world from their eyes".
          2. Never ask questions you want specific answers to.

Did you hit your wife? vs. When did you stop hitting your wife?

Have you been drinking tonight? vs. How much have you been drinking tonight?

Why do you want my ID officer? "Because I told you I wanted to see it!"

vs

Why do you want my ID officer? "Ah, you know how it is, my boss just likes to know who I talk to when I'm out here."
          Invisible cows control my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by JSD73 View Post
            type in Verbal Judo in a search engine....there's a book that's titled exactly that, Verbal Judo.

Just as said above, it's about talking to someone, communication, getting them to do what you want without mother fin them
            Have you read said book? There are a ton of books out there on this topic and I would like a good recommendation on one so that I don't wast my time and money on a book that is (a) no good (b)not credible, or (c)Have nothing that will help defusing situations that could get out of hand.

Thanks for the advise phlip. I like it when someone explains something that is to the point and easy to understand .

Comment

Cheesy way to market good field interview skills IMHO. I had a in service training course on it, and learned nothing. Take good people skills, including the sneaky verbal tactics that alot of experienced street cops use, attch the word "judo" to it, and make some $$$. When I can talk an arrestee into tossing his/herself to the ground, then I'll call it verbal judo.

I'm going to start verbal Muay Thai. It is a little more aggressive, perhaps even brutal (verbally). But, the end result is the same. Want to buy it?

Comment

I, on the other hand, learned a lot. The guy who wrote the book Verbal Judo and taught the course I attended was Dr. George Thompson. We at LAPD, geez maybe 20 years ago, were the 9000 member victim pool he must have made a ton of money on. But I applied it in my work...

The next day, I made a traffic stop and did the eight-point method of contact...who I was, what agency/division I worked for, why I stopped them, my need to see their license, reg, and insurance info, then I asked if there was any lawful reason why they committed the violation. The violator said, "no," and handed me all I had asked for. I never turned my back on the technique, again. I found the stuff he taught to work.
                "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

a few years back Verbal Judo used to have a Retired LT. from a big city PD giving the course. He was something of a contrast to Dr. Thompson who comes off like a hillbilly and wouldn't have gone over with us. This LT was pretty good but apparently was getting burned out from travel and line of B.S. he was selling. After lunch on the last day he comes back three sheets to the wind and gets in a beef in front of the whole class with a NJSP D/Sgt. who is a real stand up guy and gentleman who gave this shill way more respect then he should have got. Somehow I managed to keep my big mouth shut......for once...

Needless to say it pretty much blew it for the book, keychain and cheat card sales to this class.

Comment

Originally posted by CragCrawler View Post
                    Have you read said book? There are a ton of books out there on this topic and I would like a good recommendation on one so that I don't wast my time and money on a book that is (a) no good (b)not credible, or (c)Have nothing that will help defusing situations that could get out of hand.
                    I don't know if there are "a ton"... I'm pretty sure that the "Verbal Judo - The Gentle Art of Persuasion" by George Thompson is the foundation of the seminars that are held. If you buy into it, it's a good book. If you don't, then you probably will think it's not a good book. You mileage may vary.

There are a couple of other VJ books by Thompson, as seen here, that are a little more specific in nature.

Amazon.com Verbal Judo
                    All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

Hey, Resq14, doesn't Cabot Cove have an inordinate number of mysterious deaths? And what's it like for the local cops, when Angela Lansbury sticks her nose into them?
                      "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Verbal Judo, another tool for the tool box.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                          Hey, Resq14, doesn't Cabot Cove have an inordinate number of mysterious deaths? And what's it like for the local cops, when Angela Lansbury sticks her nose into them?

(and that's local SHERIFF and deputies, not cops...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srq3RSBm2SY

PS Bonus points to anyone who can identify the song played for the majority of the above clip...

PPS - A special Maine link for you, Kieth M.
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_...tephen_King%29
                          Last edited by Resq14; 09-28-2007, 03:56 AM.
                          All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                            I, on the other hand, learned a lot. The guy who wrote the book Verbal Judo and taught the course I attended was Dr. George Thompson. We at LAPD, geez maybe 20 years ago, were the 9000 member victim pool he must have made a ton of money on. But I applied it in my work...

The next day, I made a traffic stop and did the eight-point method of contact...who I was, what agency/division I worked for, why I stopped them, my need to see their license, reg, and insurance info, then I asked if there was any lawful reason why they committed the violation. The violator said, "no," and handed me all I had asked for. I never turned my back on the technique, again. I found the stuff he taught to work.
                            Ahhh, good ol George.

His 8 step is bull**** though, i am about to let you into the secret of good law enforcement.....................the 3 step!!

3 words is all it takes.....

License, reason?, ticket.

Then it's back on patrol!
                            The officer doesn't carry his sword in vain, he's a minister of God to carry out justice. Romans 13

Comment

Originally posted by Resq14 View Post
                              PS Bonus points to anyone who can identify the song played for the majority of the above clip...
                              Hmm, cant get the main tune, sounds like some sort of theme tune though.

The start is Robocop.

i give myself 1 point for that.
                              The officer doesn't carry his sword in vain, he's a minister of God to carry out justice. Romans 13

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10591 users online. 296 members and 10295 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X