300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTO teaching outline for each week

I am an FTO, and I was curious how different departments train their rookies in week 1,2,3,4,5 ect. Please list the training guidelines or PM me with them, thanks.

Phase I is the introductory phase. It consists of the orientation period (of at least one week) followed by several weeks of instruction and training. During this time, the trainee will be taught certain basic skills. These include officer safety and other areas of potential liability to the organization and the trainee. FTOs assigned to Phase I responsibility are identified as the “Primary FTO” (Primary FTOs are sometimes assigned because they may be the best prepared to deal with what is believed to be the trainee’s biggest challenge based on the information available). The important elements of this phase are the molding of the trainee’s attitude toward the experienced officers and making it clear that the program is not “just something else they have to get through.” The FTO’s function as a role model is particularly important here. The trainee’s ultimate success may hinge on his/her attitude toward the training program and on the image projected by the FTO.

Phase II is somewhat more complex than the first phase and is the phase where trainees become more adept with their new role. During this phase, it is expected trainees will begin handling calls for service with less input required from their FTO. They should begin to master the skills at hand. The FTO must acknowledge the trainee’s growing assertiveness and remain constantly aware of and monitor the workload, guarding against under or over loading, to ensure a proper learning environment.

Phase III is the last phase of formal training. Trainees will be expected to handle all patrol details, except those they have not yet been exposed to, without assistance. They should be initiating all patrol activities on their own. During Phase III, training continues to a lesser extent in an environment where critical evaluation takes on ever increasing importance. This is also an opportunity for the FTO to review those tasks previously accomplished and to be sure the trainee is prepared for the final phase.

Phase IV is the test phase. It is predominantly an evaluation only phase. It generally consists of one week of observed patrol activity. The training guide (and all performance objectives) should have been completed prior to the trainee’s entry into this phase. An important aspect of this phase is the trainee’s return to his or her Primary FTO for evaluation. This is done so that the FTO who originally observed the trainee will be able to evaluate the final product and compare performance levels. To ensure the trainee acts as the lead officer during this phase, the primary FTO should observe the actions of the trainee from a “ride-along” position while wearing plain clothes. The FTO will not take any action except in instances where his/her intervention is necessary. This FTO intervention should occur under the following circumstances:

1. Officer Safety – If the actions of the trainee constitute a hazard or potentially dangerous situation to officers or citizens, the FTO must take whatever action is necessary to reduce the hazard and ensure proper safety practices are followed.
    2. Illegal and Unethical Activity – The FTO must ensure that the trainee’s actions are legal and ethical at all times. Neither of these conditions shall be sacrificed for training purposes.
    3. Embarrassment to a Citizen, the Department, or the FTO – The FTO must not allow an incident to get to the point where the trainee embarrasses or brings discredit to a citizen, the Department, the FTO, or himself/herself at any time.
    California POST site

We have 4 phases (listed above) each lasting 3 to 4 weeks. We also have traffic, detective and COPPS phases.

Comment

Originally posted by jato View Post
      California POST site

We have 4 phases (listed above) each lasting 3 to 4 weeks. We also have traffic, detective and COPPS phases.

I appreciate the information you listed. It is definitely helpful. I attended an FTO training course last year; however the course only instructed how to evaluate the trainee, not what you teach in each phase of training. I know each officer trains differently but would have been nice to have some type of guideline to go by. Thanks for the CP site information, that helps a ton.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10113 users online. 473 members and 9640 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X