300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handcuffing technique

So I was talking to cops from different departments about their choice of cuffing techniques. Here in Ontario, there is one central training institution for every single department. As far as I know there is upward of 50 departments in the province, and they are all mandated by law to have their employees pass through the Ontario Police College. So basically everyone has the same standard training. The handcuffing technique favoured by the college is what I understand to be the F.B.I speed cuffing technique. That is Tac-com, ensuring subject widens stance, lean forward at the waist, stretch both arms out behind him, palms up and look away. Cuffs out with strong hand, hook cuffs with key holes facing each other on the pinkie finger of your strong hand, open like a cellphone, palm the chain with cuff on either side of your fist, key holes to you. Approach, grasp hand of subject firmly (either side will do), your thumb over his thumb. Bend and lift subjects arm creating a natural angle of hand and wrist, slam cuff on and secure, use support hand, grasp subject's other hand and repeat. And lastly double lock.
    Of course when I got back to my dept. for post training they basically said, everything you learned at the college, dump it. My dept. favors another technique which supposedly exerts more control over the subject as soon as you are hands on. Their rational being that that's when a subject is most apt to run or fight, when you first lay hands on them. Basically the tac-com is the same but your grasp of the cuffs and subject varies a bit. The cuffs are held with key holes held any which way. (Cuffing the subject being more important than uncuffing him). The cuffs are held with the strong hand grabbing the chain, the cuffs held vertically as opposed to the aforementioned technique where they are held horizontally. Cuffs are also held at a bit of an angle, that is while the top cuff which is the first to be applied is held flat, the bottom is somewhat canted. The subject after being put in the same position as the first technique is approached from either side, I personally prefer my right, the subject's hand is held a bit differently, that is the thumb is what you grab on to and twist the subject's hand exposing the wrist, to which the top cuff is applied. With the support hand, grab the subject's next hand as if giving a handshake. Bend the hand in and up, exposing the wrist and if need be pain compliance. Apply the bottom cuff by bring the wrist down to meet the cuff.
    Though I agree that the last has it's merits as far as control is concerned, I kinda prefer the first one, maybe cause I spent more time practicing it till it became second nature, or maybe I like the speed of it. Boom Boom and he's done. Just wanted to hear what some other preferred techniques out there might be.
    Ibtrini

My, you guys really put a lot of thought into cuffing a suspect? Ninety percent of my arrestees(or better) were not going to go w/o a fight. Which typically meant a jumbled heap of cops rolling on the ground looking for an appendage, ANY appendage to secure. I don't think there was a specific name for this cuffing technique
    "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

The Compton Cuff?

Sounds like a square dance.
      Against organized crime, internal affairs is my defensive hand; Intelligence officers are my offensive hand.
      The late William H. Parker, Chief LAPD 1950 - 1966
      |||
      Fir Na Dli

Comment

some of the gracie guys came to washington when i was at a military precinct there, and tought a bunch of departments a prety cool weak hand cuff technique, it left you a bunch of options if the guy got squirly to roll right into some takedowns and joint locks and stuff

Comment

My eyes hurt. Is there a carriage return or three you can enter into that missive?

After I got done finishing the reading, your initial cuff technique appears to mirror that which is most popular in my region.

EDJ
          "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

haha this thread is useless without pics or video... come on man... when you are fighting them does it matter how you cuff? will you be trying to do it like you were taught? NO!!!!!! good luck.

Comment

I always say pretty please and they always let me cuff em.

Comment

Originally posted by Stewie View Post
                I always say pretty please and they always let me cuff em.
                I've been meaning to try that, lol

Comment

i learned the same way. when i got on the job i was told to "slow my roll..."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4753 users online. 211 members and 4542 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X