300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Shooter Training

I have completed instructor training for Rapid Deployment/Active Shooter and have found it to be the most comprehensive schools I have ever attended. I have been to 3 schools and found the concentration on patrol and not SRT and SWAT to be eye opening. Anyone else seeing an influx of this type of training since Va Tech? If you have, what do you think?

We've been doing it for several years with the focus being on patrol responders. Every year we have some sort of refresher as part of annual training.
    "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
    sigpic

Comment

We've also been doing this for a few years now. In fact we are training on it again tomorrow at one of the local high schools. We don't have a local "SWAT" team and must rely on the state patrol if we need SWAT so it makes sense for us to train this way. Should the situation arise there will be no time to wait for NSP to respond with a team. I would think that this type of training would be applicable just about anywhere since patrol units will be the first on scene.

Comment

Patrol officers response to active shooters roles started to be seen in a different light after the Columbine incident. In an incident where innocent victims are being shot, the sooner a team of 4 patrol officers can make entry, locate and stop the threat the fewer innocents will be killed. The simple reality is that it takes too long for SWAT to be called out, stage and mobilize when innocent victims are being shot and killed. Even one or two armed off-duty officers have made a tremendous impact in reducing the number of victims in active shooter incidents.

The Pearl Mississippi High School shooting was stopped, not by police, but by the assistant principal, a retired Marine, who ran 6 blocks to his truck to retrieve his .45 pistol and return to challenge the shooter, Luke Woodam, who immediately dropped his 30/30 rifle when faced with deadly force. I won't open a can of worms here about authorizing school officials who've had prior military or law enforcement experience to either carry of have access to secure firearms, but only make the point that time is not our friend in these type of incidents.

The officers need to have trained together in making entry, especially if they're from different agencies. The biggest problem faced by most smaller agencies is that the city council's / county commissions don't want to pay over time for training that they deem "un-necessary" after all "nothing like that's happened here."

Has anyone here used DHS training funds for this purpose? If not, does anyone know where any other grant money may be had to pay for it?

Comment

I just finished our departments active shooter training today. WOW great class and would highly suggest all officers take the training.

Comment

Very important subject! Sad thing? I have never had one minute of training on it. I have done a lot of reading on the subject. I understand that if faced with it, you have to go on in and not wait around.(common sense I would think) I mentioned it to the brass once, they looked at me like I had lost my mind. Our brass recently even mentioned taking away our rifles (said we didn't really need them!!! ) That subject has since went away-thankfully. Guess I'll have to seek out and pay for my own training on the subject. Anyone know of a good place?
            "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Another advantage

We use simunitions and equip the officers with what they have in the car (AR, shotgun, Taser) as well as sidearm. I also found that for most people (myself included the first time) this was the first training where you were a) accountable for your rounds, and b0 if you shot bad guy in the leg, he kept shooting back.

It served as a good lesson to some people that should "self select" out of being on a contact team.
              "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by j706 View Post
                Very important subject! Sad thing? I have never had one minute of training on it. I have done a lot of reading on the subject. I understand that if faced with it, you have to go on in and not wait around.(common sense I would think) I mentioned it to the brass once, they looked at me like I had lost my mind. Our brass recently even mentioned taking away our rifles (said we didn't really need them!!! ) That subject has since went away-thankfully. Guess I'll have to seek out and pay for my own training on the subject. Anyone know of a good place?
                This type of training should be practiced everywhere. I would start asking neighboring agencies if they have any training program and see if you can go to one of theirs. If you wanna come out to the west coast Riverside Sheriff's Department has a good class. If you IM me I can give you some more details, its even possible for our instructors to go to other agencies and put the class on if thats something you want to try to setup.

Comment

The Preservice (reserve officer) course I took last year through the Maine Criminal Justice Academy featured a videotape produced by the North Carolina AG and the NC Dept. of Public Instruction. It was very well done.
                  Here's the link to the NCDOJ page on Rapid Deployment Training.
                  This really is something that should be practiced at least annually. Identify any potential problems ahead of time, so they don't become "rude surprises."
                  --
                  Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

We just finished our active shooter course last week. It was great. We used a middle school with non-LEO bad guys, a fogging machine, loud stereos and topped it all off with simunition. Nothing like pain reinforcing mistakes.
                    A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

Originally posted by j706 View Post
                      Guess I'll have to seek out and pay for my own training on the subject. Anyone know of a good place?
                      Your PD.

Officers might not be able to go to formal training, but getting yourself in the mindset and practicing in your pd with other officers, will help. (MAKE SURE YOU MAKE THE TRAINING SAFE!!!!!) Either don't use your weapon, or clear your weapon. The worst is training deaths.

I recently finished a React Containment Team / Active Shooter course. Great, active, motivating and realistic course. Definately recoment anyone and everyone go to one if you can. If not, train with the personnel on your shift. Better than nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by ray8285 View Post
                        We just finished our active shooter course last week. It was great. We used a middle school with non-LEO bad guys, a fogging machine, loud stereos and topped it all off with simunition. Nothing like pain reinforcing mistakes.
                        We've discussed using non-LEO's as the bad guys...the problem is who do you use and what happens if one of them is injured during the training. What did your department do about this? We thought about seeing if some Firemen might want to play. (Bonus is you get to shoot at firemen ).

I LOVE the fogging machine idea! (We'll be doing that next time). We used smoke detectors and a portable siren to make it noisy. Wanted to use simunitions but 1) we don't have them for our AR15's which is the weapon of choice 2). There was concern about trashing the high school. and 3) If you use simunitions then everyone has to wear a mask etc so you start limiting the number of people who can play.

Next time we will probably use simms and just make the scenario in such a way that the rounds will be fired in an area where nothing should be damaged and so the BG's are away from the rest of the "students. We've discussed using airsoft AR's as a temporary fix for the sims problem with the AR's.

Comment

OHSP just put our local agencies through "Direct to Threat" training ie Active Shooter. We used Simunitions and an abandoned mental school illness facility. We also got some of our students to volunteer to be hostages. Very good training. It was amazing how much of your basic academy and training is hard wired in and how hard it was to go against it. (e.g. not diving for cover during the fight)

We intend to get some Airsoft guns and practice in our own classroom building on our campus.

I think I heard by word of mouth that Ohio was putting funds out there to make sure as many agencies get the training as possible. Others may want to check their state for similar funds

All in all the training was sweet but "It'll be a bad day to be a cop" if we have to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by WWCND View Post
                            Wanted to use simunitions but 1) we don't have them for our AR15's which is the weapon of choice 2). There was concern about trashing the high school. and 3) If you use simunitions then everyone has to wear a mask etc so you start limiting the number of people who can play.
                            Go with the Sim rounds. I just went through our annual refresher. I had my Sim AR-15 (which made me point on every scenario ) Use butcher paper and tape it on the walls. You should be able to limit contact areas and not have to paper the whole school. If the walls have anything on them put sheets of cardboard up instead. Yeah, everyone has to wear masks, but any situation where some projectile is firing, you should be wearing masks. The sim rounds let you use something similar to your duty weapon and specialty weapons (we have sim shotguns as well).

I loved our day of active shooter training. It progressed to multiple contact teams that would meet up in the middle of a scenario. Had a suicide bomber scenario (guy with a bomb vest on), barricaded subjects, hostage situation, suspects with guns, knives etc. and about everything we could reasonably put together.

Also, I would use other cops - they can think like bad guys easier and make the scenario's more realistic.

sigpic

Comment

I'm taking this training today. Some others at my department just went through this a few days ago, and stated it was the best they had ever had in terms of reality hands on training. Even guys who are normally very cynical about training gave it two thumbs up.
                              Invisible cows control my mind.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8925 users online. 426 members and 8499 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X