300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firearm training

So I am attending the academy in 2 months. Among the many things I am worried about is the firearm qualification. I am female, 5'3", 115 lbs. Although I can do 30-40 pretty decent push-ups, I feel my upper body strength is still weak. I can't do even one good pull-up. I have never touched a gun and have no idea what it takes to be a good shooter. Can anybody give me some advice on how I can get myself better prepared for firearm training in these two months? BTW, I was advised not to take any firearm training to avoid bad habits.

Thanks.

The advice you received on not taking any firearms training was "right on target". Just listen to what the firearms instructors tell you and then incorporate their instruction and you should be fine. Just don't get frustrated if you don't start off shooting the lights out of the target, just stay focused on the fundamentals and everything will start coming together. Two basic things to remember are to stay focused on the front sight and control your trigger, you'll probably hear those two things plus quite a few more when you start firearms training.

As far as what you can do in advance, I'd say do some type of training to strengthen your grip. Their are a few different types of devices out on the market, you can stop by a fitness store in your area and they should carry something to help you out. But, as you'll see in training, it doesn't take much strength to pull a trigger as long as you just press rearward with your trigger finger. Most people have trouble pulling the trigger because they tend to squeeze their entire hand which ends up causing their hand to lock which in turn ends up preventing them from being able to pull the trigger. Good luck to you!

Comment

"right on target"....ah those crazy puns
      Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

jimdvs, please dont take this as being disrespectfull, but... you just told her not to seek training so she wont get any bad habits. then you proceded to train her... of course what your saying is correct, im just pointing that out.

if i had to give advice i would say your ahead of the game because your not going into it with the misconseption alot of people have, tipicly males, who think they just know how to shoot just because they do, even though they have never been tought. i would just learn EVERYTHING you can from your instructors, and if you still have trouble shooting, go on your own to a range and SHOOT! rent a little .22 pistol (not your duty caliber, smaller is better here, and cheaper) and burn ammo burn ammo burn ammo. that will help. good luck

Comment

Front sight, front sight, front sight...trigger reset, trigger reset, trigger reset....nuff said...
          "We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

Comment

The best advice I've ever heard came while I was in the academy and a range instructor stated: "Practice, practice, practice...this is the most training you will ever have in your career...two weeks for the next 20 years of your life..pay attention to what we say"

This is so true..most departments (and I work for the largest one) won't go as in depth as they do in the academy..do what they tell you to and you'll get 100% every time...

Comment

Originally posted by spiff2022 View Post
              jimdvs, please dont take this as being disrespectfull, but... you just told her not to seek training so she wont get any bad habits. then you proceded to train her... of course what your saying is correct, im just pointing that out.

if i had to give advice i would say your ahead of the game because your not going into it with the misconseption alot of people have, tipicly males, who think they just know how to shoot just because they do, even though they have never been tought. i would just learn EVERYTHING you can from your instructors, and if you still have trouble shooting, go on your own to a range and SHOOT! rent a little .22 pistol (not your duty caliber, smaller is better here, and cheaper) and burn ammo burn ammo burn ammo. that will help. good luck
              I agree, get acquainted with you weapons. The reason most have trouble in the academy is because they are unsure and nervous. Eliminate that by going to the gun range and shooting. Knowing the trigger points and how far you trigger will go before firing. To eliminate jerking. Learn how to shoot a shot gun get that first shoulder bruise out of the way. As most know it is hard to shoot a shot gun with that fresh bruise. But it only takes that one time to learn how to hold that shot gun
              "An officer has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the quality of his actions and the integrity of his intent."

Comment

Don't stress over the firearms portion yet. You will be taught by professionals and they will make any corrections that they deem necessary. I am a firearms instructor and if I have 20 shooters qualifying, I hear 20 different suggestions for struggling shooters. Just relax. It is true about developing bad habits. You'll find your groove.
                Jerry
                "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

If it bothers you that much, check into taking a firearms class. There has to be something in your area. Im lucky enough to live 15 mintues from Blackwater USA North. I just took their Tactical Pistol 1 class. This was the first formal instruction I had with a pistol and Im a night and day difference from where I started. Good luck to you.
                  Shut up and color.

Comment

No stress, if you can point your finger, you can shoot a gun. Definitely agree with everyone saying not to take any instruction beforehand. If you're really worried about the bang and recoil (which really won't be that big of a deal) just go out to a range and fire off some rounds. Don't put up targets or anything, just crank them off into the berm/dirt hill. This way you won't be worrying about hitting anything and developing and habits at all.

But you'll be fine with firearms. I read a quote one time "you can teach a monkey to blow holes in a piece of paper....." It really is easy, as long as you don't psyche yourself out.

Comment

Well, you've gotten some pretty good advice. Here's just a little more. Do not worry about your height and weight. Shooting is an acquired skill, and one in which most females do very well. Many Academy instructors prefer their students not have any prior shooting experience. No bad habits to unlearn. I second the suggestion to work on your grip a little. A hard rubber ball often does quite well in this regard.

Comment

oops. Not in the field yet.
                        Last edited by Illinois Edmond; 08-24-2007, 04:01 PM. Reason: Don't think I can post in this section.

Comment

Thank you guys/girls for your advice. I am heading out to the Academy this Sunday morning (I still can't believe this is happening). I was told that the instructors are very professional and methodical and there is intensive firearm training (1/3 of the course). Well, let the fun begin-

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly View Post
                            Front sight, front sight, front sight...trigger reset, trigger reset, trigger reset....nuff said...
                            Yup. And listen.
                            The officer doesn't carry his sword in vain, he's a minister of God to carry out justice. Romans 13

Comment

Originally posted by appletreeca View Post
                              So I am attending the academy in 2 months. Among the many things I am worried about is the firearm qualification. I am female, 5'3", 115 lbs. Although I can do 30-40 pretty decent push-ups, I feel my upper body strength is still weak. I can't do even one good pull-up. I have never touched a gun and have no idea what it takes to be a good shooter. Can anybody give me some advice on how I can get myself better prepared for firearm training in these two months? BTW, I was advised not to take any firearm training to avoid bad habits.

Thanks.
                              You have two things in your favor 1 you are female 2 its not your husband instructing you on the range. Women tend to pick up on shooting quite quickly as long as its not their significant other trying to teach them. JK
                              Truthfully if you have no experience with guns you have no bad habits yet. Listen to the instructor forget any of the Hollywood crap you may have seen and do what you are told. The range is a tightly controlled enviroment that allows the instructors the chance to supervise each and every cadet and stop bad habits before they start. Women tend to pick it up quickly because of the lack of the Macho attitude and the willingness to take direction. Ask questions and ask for help if you are struggling it will work out.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4402 users online. 207 members and 4195 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X