Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Investigation Training- U of ND?

Well, I decided to sign up for the first class. You can do them individually, or buy the whole bundle at once... so I decided to dip my toe in rather than belly flop all at once.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Death Investigation Training | Online | University of North Dakota (und.edu)

Found out I'm going to be laid up with a bad wing for about 3 months starting next week.

Anybody taken this course or one like it?
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 06-04-2021, 01:24 AM.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Good Afternoon
    I hope this Memorial Day weekend finds you well

Back in 2016-2017 I started taking the Death Investigator training courses and was surprised how thorough and in depth they were.

Fast forward to the fall of 2017, when I relocated from VA to NC and started working at the Mecklenburg County Medical Examiners Office as a Death Investigator.

During my first week I was informed that the Office would pay for the courses to help me prepare for the American Board of Medicolegal Death Investigators certification.

I have since interviewed with other Medical Examiners and Coroners Offices and they recommend the same courses.

Over the course of my LE career I have taken numerous in-service courses, but I never got to take Death Investigator training so the UND courses filled that void. (That and two years of working 60 hours a week doing it)

I was hoping it would help me return to Law Enforcement but I feel my career is over. (15 years of LE and Investigations is not a bad run)

Comment

Found out I'm going to be laid up with a bad wing for about 3 months starting next week.
      Rotator cuff?

How old are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

Rotator cuff?

How old are you?
        50. Not a rotator cuff yet, but that’s probably coming.

Three separate injuries that I’m just getting done at the same time.

Tirn tendon in my forearm, damaged nerve under my elbow and carpal tunnel. All on my right arm.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Wow
          I turn 50 in 6 months and I am starting to battle all of that right now
          Right shoulder impingement, ulnar nerve problems/golfer elbow and inflammation of the tendons in my right hand.

I start therapy tomorrow for the shoulder and hopefully the elbow.

Comment

Originally posted by Rugger762 View Post
            Wow
            I turn 50 in 6 months and I am starting to battle all of that right now
            Right shoulder impingement, ulnar nerve problems/golfer elbow and inflammation of the tendons in my right hand.
            That’s essentially what I have. I just let it all go too long.

Comment

Enjoy the meds. Follow the recovery instructions to the letter.

Comment

I learned that a lot of these types of issues involve referred pain from nerve impingement at the cervical vertebrae, and that it is quite common for men when they reach about 50 years of age, to have cervical disc problems.

I had incredible pain in my shoulder, as well as significant pain in my entire arm, and numbness and tingling in the smaller fingers on that side. Turns out that the discs between C5/C6/C7 were falling apart after five decades of sports, crashes, and fighting. I had them fused and plated.

It did take several tries at imaging and having the images read, to get an accurate diagnosis. on my first trip to the ER, they just did an X-ray, gave me Ibuprofen, and sent me home with instructions to just take it easy for a couple of days- they completely missed it. The pain drove me to get additional/better imaging and doctors, and that's when they found it. When the surgeon got in there, he found a whole bunch of stuff to clean out. It has been MASSIVELY better, since getting it fixed...

Comment

I've done both medicolegal death investigation school and various evidence tech schools, but never online. The death investigation school was through Wayne State University (Detroit) and was pretty comprehensive. I don't think there was really anything that couldn't be taught online, since most of it was seminars and not hands-on (unlike the e-tech stuff, which would have been pointless online considering its probably 80% hands-on).

On a personal note, I sympathize with you on the torn tendon. I tore my distal biceps tendon and had to have it re-attached...it was not pleasant, and the down-time and rehab sucked. I also discovered that I'm not a huge fan of narcos, despite them taking the pain away.
                  "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                  -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I once had an acute experience with shoulder trouble. Turns out, falling off the roof of a house can be a bad thing. But, it got me into investigations for a while when I returned to work. Still wondering if it was punishment!

Comment

Update in OP

Comment

If they do a nerve block for your surgery, make sure to take your pain meds as prescribed, even if you feel like you don't need them.

My surgeon was not local to me, so they flew my wife and I to where he was. We have friends that live there, so we wanted to see them while we were there. I got a nerve block before my surgery. As soon as the anesthesia wore off enough for me to stand, we called them and they picked us up at the hospital so that we could all go out to dinner, with my arm in a sling. I got distracted, and forgot to take my pain meds. We went back to our hotel that night, went to bed, and at about three in the morning, the nerve block wore off...and the pain hit. That was a long night for both of us...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2733 users online. 153 members and 2580 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X