300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with cardio/running

To begin, I'm starting the hiring process with several LE agencies, but I'm a little out of shape. I lift 4 times/week but it's been about 2 months since I've done cardio, and when I usually do cardio, I usually bike.

Today, I went up to the local school track and ran about 1 1/2 miles. While I was running, my lower back began to hurt, and even now continues to slightly hurt (i've been home for about 1/2 hour now). I just bought new running shoes too.

Is my back hurting because I haven't run in a while, or is there another issue?
    If I start running several times a week, do you think it will go away?

Thanks

Originally posted by wdr2 View Post
    To begin, I'm starting the hiring process with several LE agencies, but I'm a little out of shape. I lift 4 times/week but it's been about 2 months since I've done cardio, and when I usually do cardio, I usually bike.

Today, I went up to the local school track and ran about 1 1/2 miles. While I was running, my lower back began to hurt, and even now continues to slightly hurt (i've been home for about 1/2 hour now). I just bought new running shoes too.

Is my back hurting because I haven't run in a while, or is there another issue?
    If I start running several times a week, do you think it will go away?
    There are several things you can and should do to avoid/relieve that pain:

- get the proper shoes for your feet and running gait, and possibly even orthotics. Getting a running gait analysis done by a doc or even a reputable running shoe store (a running specific store NOT one of the big sporting goods chains).

- stretch properly, after warming up and before working out, and post workout.

- maintain good core strength, aka tight abs.

- make sure you're not overdoing while starting out - try some of the beginner training programs here: http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/...tion=_*topnav*

The plans might be especially useful:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...1703-0,00.html

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...-203-0,00.html

Good luck.

Comment

I had the same problem when i started training a few years ago. The several years of college since hingh school sports had caught up with me. I palyed rugby in college however the biggest cardio work out i got from that was carrying the keg into the house every night....lol. I was fortunate enough to have a state trooper who owned a gym help me out. Find an experienced runner at the gym and have them take a look at how you run. i was leaning too far back and not making big enough strides. You time will improve before the pain goes away. Running works your core muscles and lower back so much differently than lifting. I thought the pain was in my back(ie spine) but upon getting a massage realized it was in the muscles that surounded the bone in my lower back and hips. I now run 4 to 6 miles a day five or so days a week at about an 8min mile pace with little problems other than fatigue at the end of the week. Ran the 1 1/2 in 10:09 last week started out at over 15 a few years ago and I am 6'2" 220. Keep runnig it will pay off. I leave for academy on sunday.
      "I'm not racist or prejudice I hate everyone equally."

Comment

Everyone, thanks for your help.

Comment

I hurt my lower back a few years ago while I was running on a soft indoor track. It had been a while since I had run, and I shouldn't have pushed myself so quickly. I ended up going to a physical therapist and was out of commission for about 3 months. I wish I would have started my cardio training more GRADUALLY. Lesson learned the hard way on my part.

That said, it took me about a year of cardio training 2 to 3 times a week to get myself ready for our academy- The Chicago Police Academy. To prepare my cardio for the various types of weather I knew I would encounter during the academy, I would run in the coldest weather during ice and snow, and I would run on the most hot/humid days in the summer. I did lots a push ups and sit ups, too. This was the training regimen that worked for me. Our academy was full of cardio training from beginning to end and for good reason: You have to have enough gas in the tank to finish someone off after the foot chase is over. Once you catch the fool a few blocks away from where the whole mess started, then the fight is on. Combine that with the physical and EMOTIONAL stress/confusion of a dangerous situation, not to mention environmental conditions ( i.e. hot humid air or cold winter air ), and cardio training makes perfect sense.

Cardio exercises like long distance running, short sprints, a combination of distance running, stop and drop push ups, then getting back up and sprinting, and then stopping and doing elbow/knee strikes with a partner, were part and parcel of our academy for 34 weeks. It was quite the experience to say the least.

Good luck with your training and I'm sure you'll do fine with your career.

Be Safe Out There,

cpd007

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5079 users online. 209 members and 4870 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X