300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reducing/preventing shin splints n other pains

Sometimes I get shin splints from running. I just recently bought a pair of new balance running shoes and I ran tonight. My shins felt ok but my feet kinda felt cramped. Its hard to describe it, its probably the bone on the side of the foot a few inches from the little toe, if that makes sence. I've only ran in these shoes like 3 times so I imagine there not broken in yet. I also might of tied them a little to tight that could of caused the discomfort. Does anyone have any advice to prevent shin splints from coming back? I ran hard last week and the next day I was a little sore in the shin area. I've heard of special soles you can put in the shoes or something? any help would be great, thanks.

The only thing that really helped me was losing weight (I went from 250 back down to around 230)...I have read strengtheing the muscle on the front of the shin can help a tremendous amount too.

Erm

Comment

Originally posted by Ermantroudt
      The only thing that really helped me was losing weight (I went from 250 back down to around 230)...I have read strengtheing the muscle on the front of the shin can help a tremendous amount too.

Erm
      how do you go about strenthening the muscle?

Comment

http://www.joeskopec.com/dard/dard.htm

The link shows how to make and use the device to strengthen that muscle.

Erm

Comment

I would suggest going to a specialty running store. I use to buy "off the shelf" New Balance. I've done a lot of running being in the military for 10 years, but nothing serious. I recently started training for a mini marathon next year. I started running a lot more than normal and my knees and shins started to hurt some. I had shin splints in high school (track) and I knew that i was feeling the beging stages so i laid off for a few days and i went to a running store to get fitted properly for shoes. They put me in a "neutral" pair and had me run on the treadmill while being taped. Then he showed me the tape and said i was a mild-moderate over pronator. Then he brought out all the shoes that were built for this condition. I ran in them all on the treadmill. I tried Brooks, Asics, Saucony, New Balance, and Mizuno. I liked the Saucony. Since I started running with them my pain went away. At first i hurt in other leg areas but it went away quickly. I guess it was my body getting use to my new compensated shoes.

There are 3 basic types of gait. They are Neutral (no gait), Supinator (inward gait), and Over Pronator (outward gait). Arches play a part as well. They will size. Some shoes don't run true to size. plus you get to try them all on before you buy them.

I hope i didn't waste your time(if you already knew this stuff) but maybe someone else can use this info. Or maybe i'm the only 30 year old that is just learning of this stuff, lol.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ermantroudt
            http://www.joeskopec.com/dard/dard.htm

The link shows how to make and use the device to strengthen that muscle.

Erm
            That looks interesting, but if you cant get access to one or make one, a simple exercise to do is stand with your back AND butt to a wall, bring your feet about you're foot's distance away from the wall, shoulder width apart and do 30 toe lifts as high as you can get them and do them quickly and then at the end of the 30, hold your toes up 30 seconds just as far as they'll go before you start to feel the muscles tense *too* much. If you feel it's not working out the area your shins hurt, turn your toes inward or outward until it feels right.
            Also, your feet will start to slide away from the wall bit by bit so adjust yourself quickly if you have to.

Comment

Originally posted by TireMan
              I would suggest going to a specialty running store.

Before i started my academy i knew i needed a good pair of shoes so i was going the same off the shelf route.. but i wanted something with support. the guys at the foot locker i went to suggested i go to a running store... which i did. they put me on the treadmill as well and video taped my walk and light jog. they told me what i have but i dont remember.. was almost a year ago. anyways.. they gave me 3 options as well... and let me run around outside in them. i used to have awful pains in my arch and ankle but while wearing the shoes i bought i never once had pain. i would also recommend going to a running store.. a proper pair of shoes designed for the type of foot you have goes a long ways. could be more pricy but is well worth it in my opinion.

Comment

Schedule an appointment with a podiatrist. It will end up saving you a lot of money. Just find out what is wrong in one place rather than spending money all over the place. I went years with perodic shin-splints..side of my foot feeling like someone beat it with a baseball bat...that is not your shoes per-say, but the unique form of your foot.

Now while you can go and buy an insert from the store off the shelf, multiple pairs of shoes and the like...but for the money and PAIN FREE running, standing and walking..the podiatrist is where it's at. I used to think they were quacks....I was bad wrong.
                Last edited by Rapax; 04-03-2007, 07:11 PM. Reason: I'm a retarded spellllller
                "Anyone is capable of anything"

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be".

-Peter Gibbons
                Office Space

Comment

Or all of the above

What worked for me was my running shoes. I too was buying off the shelf running shoes...and this is what was killing my legs. Went to an 'official' New Balance store and got a nice set of running shoes. While it set me back quite a bit for a pair of sneakers, I must say it almost feels like running on a cloud.

Something to keep in mind is places like Foot Locker and your other chain stores sell a New Balance generic pair of shoes. These are no good. Dont get sucked into New Balance at the chain stores. I've learned that New Balance makes these generic cheap shoes for the chain stores (Thats why my New Balance shoes set me back $150 but Foot Locker sells similar shoes 2 for $30.00) Go to an actual running store or New Balance store.....

The other thing that helped was the strengthening of my legs (and not just your calves). At my gym, they have a machine that looks similar to a leg press but you are standing up with your chest on a pad and shoulder pads. Throw some weight on there and you are doing these excercises where you are essentially doing tippy toes on a step. Works great...as well as leg presses themselves. If you do not have anything like this available, find a step in your house...put your toes on it with your heels off the edge and do tippy toes.

I'm sure everyone has different ways to get over the splints...the above is what worked for me. I absolutely hated running because of the pain I was in...now I can tolerate a good run but my shins do not bother me anymore.

Comment

Also, potassium supplements help. If your going through training like an academy just stop by a vitamin store or something pick up a bottle. Cheap and seems to help. But stretching and strengthening up the muscles is the best.
                    Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Potassium? For shin splints???? What??? Maybe for cramps but you gotta be careful with that stuff...can cause heart problems really easily.
                      "Anyone is capable of anything"

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be".

-Peter Gibbons
                      Office Space

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10108 users online. 481 members and 9627 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X