300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bodyweight training vs. barbell & dumbell

What do yo think is the best training system for us ?
    Untill one year ago I used to practice some power lifting system , I gained a lot of muscle mass ( I was 142 kg at 1,95 meters height ) but after 7 years I has to make some surgery because I also "gain" an inguinal hernia .
    Now I do a lot of pull ups , chin-ups ,dips , etc. I came down at 120 kg and I just remembered that I was in love with martial arts . The results is more agility , another kind of power , and a better punch size !
    So what do you use for phisycal training ?

I incorporate both. But I do not to powerlifting. I feel that law enforcement should be trained like fighters (including martial artists). Bodyweight exercises are crucial to that and can get you strong as well (with very little chance of overtraining or injury).
    Conditioning is a major factor as well...being able to sprint 100 yards then wrestle someone down requires a lot more than endurance running (like at most academys) and brute power (deadlifts, bench, squat).
    www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

I think you are right !
      Are there somebody to show some bodyweight training system ?
      Last edited by cpt.gabriel; 03-19-2007, 04:53 PM.

Comment

I agree with brown that cops should train like fighters, and I have recently started traing that way. Like you, I have a backround in weightlifting and old habits are hard to break. I've been working on my conditionong and I feel much better at work.

Comment

Can you tell me what is your workout in that case?

Comment

Not trying to promote another site, but rosstraining.com is the absolute best source of info. I have 3 of his books and all are phenomenal. "Never Gymless" is a bodyweight only book (with some use of resistance bands) and "Infinite Intensity" is book with dumbbells, sandbags and bodyweight work. Both are excellent. Conditioning is emphasized in both and both have sample routines to work through. Ross is a former boxer turned trainer and does a lot of "combat sports" training (boxing, kickboxing, mma, etc).
            I can give you some of the stuff that I typically do if you dont plan to check out the site.
            www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

I just got the book "Training For Warriors" by Martin Rooney, I haven't read it yet, but I flipped through it and just the warmups are tougher than some peoples conditioning programs

Comment

I allready checked out the site , it's very good !
                Right now I preffer to practice only bodyweight exercise . Look what I found on military.com :Here is what you need to try for a two-week period:

Do your regular workout program, but for 10 straight days do an additional 25-50 pullups.
                If you are only able to do less than 5 pull-ups: do 25 pull-ups for your daily plan below:
                If you can do more than 5 pull-ups: do 50 pull-ups for your daily plan below:
                ODD DAYS (Supersets OR Pyramids):

Supersets (repeat 10 times):
                pullups - max
                pushups - 20
                dips - 5-10
                abs of choice - 30

Pyramids (see PT Pyramid article above)

pullups - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 rest with
                pushups - 2,4,6,8,10,12,14....2
                abs of choice - 5,10,15,20,25,30,35....5
                alternate with NO rest from one exercise to the next

EVEN DAYS:

25-50 pullups anyway you can throughout the day or in a single workout. Do small repetition sets until you reach 25- 50 pull-ups.
                Rotate for the next ten days from odd day workout options and even day pull-up supplement, then take three-four days off from doing ANY pull-ups. Test on day 14 or 15 and let me know your results.
                Good luck with the Pullup-Push Workout. Push yourself and you can quickly perform better on your pull-up test. You can fit this type of program into your present workout plan by just adding 25-50 pullups on your rest days so you do a ten-day routine of pull-ups.
                I tested that and I has some positive results .
                Anyway , if you can give me some of your routine I will be very good .
                Thank you !

Comment

Capt. gabriel, that program for pullups works!
                  Last year, I was only getting 10 at one time, I did something almost exactly like that and I was able to do 20 in one clip after about 6 weeks.
                  Me personally, I do sprints at least once a week for conditioning (I vary the distances), I run a mile as fast as I can 1x per week, just to keep my time good and even do long slow runs and rowing machine for about 20 minutes as well. I havent been (but used to) hit the heavy bag for rounds, almost like a boxer would (2 minutes on, 1 min, rest, repeat).
                  As far as strength-right now I am mixing it up, doing 1 heavy day of push muscles (chest, shoulder, tris) using weights and one lighter day (using bodyweight stuff like pushups) and the same for back, biceps.
                  I throw in a few Olympic lifts too (snatches, hang cleans), to maintain power.
                  I do core 2x a week, mixing it up to whatever I feel like each time, no set routine.
                  I am about to begin MMA training, so a lot of this could change.
                  www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

It must you have a very good condition !
                    Pls. tell me more about MMA training ( at the right time , of course).

Comment

I use powrlifting methods, but keep my GPP (General Physical Prep) very high with sled dragging, rope jumping, and extra high rep workouts.

www.westside-barbell.com

Erm

Comment

Originally posted by Ermantroudt
                        I use powrlifting methods, but keep my GPP (General Physical Prep) very high with sled dragging, rope jumping, and extra high rep workouts.

www.westside-barbell.com

Erm
                        Sounds like you could be a rosstraining.com guy, like me.
                        www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7714 users online. 232 members and 7482 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X