300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWAT/SRT PT Standards

Our department is looking to start an SRT team and are going to be sending some officers to schools as they come available. I have heard of several different PT standards for entering teams for departments as well as entering these schools. If your department host a school or if you wish you disclose your PT standards for SRT/SWAT I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Because of the nature of SWAT work, you should require and accept only the very best. Your standards should be exacting, demanding, and gender blind (adjusting for age is fair in speed events). The standard I'd suggest is good because it's job specific and consists of a .5 mile sprint, bench press, an agility run, a dummy drag, a 500 yard swim, and a flexibility test. We use a scoring matrix, but as a bare MINIMUM every operator should be able to run a sub 8 minute mile, press over 100% of their body weight, be sufficiently agile, be able to drag 120 lbs, swim 500 yards in under 13:30 minutes, complete two pull-ups, and be able to sit and reach past their toes. We don't require push-ups or sit-ups but if you decide to, I would think a minimum of 30 in a minute would be a baseline. Keep in mind these are minimum standards, each candidate should be putting out their best. Finally, a believe a same-day retry on every event is fair if needed.

Additionally, your SWAT selection process should consist of a shooting course that includes sprinting and shooting, kneeling/shooting, and distances from 3 to 15 or 25 yards, all timed. Use demanding targets (like a TQ-19- use something with no scoring zones) and don't accept misses. Also included in the process should be a panel interview. We also require an essay, which is great because every operator has to be able to write a competent after-action report.

As far as SWAT schools go, there are many excellent ones around the country, but one of the best I've heard of is the SWAT Hell Week in Utah. They run their guys for 80+ hours in five days. Tons of PT, all done while in kit, and they include an element of sleep deprivation to induce stress. Lots of push-ups and sit-ups, which are great for strengthening your core. Salt Lake PD also runs one that utilizes an impressive-looking obstacle course. It's on YouTube. Montana does a good one too, I hear.

As a side note, make sure your department is ready to set your team up for success. Make sure they are on board with your high standards and realize the cost and dedication involved- for starters, it's going to cost around $5K to kit each member adequately, you'll need OT for training hours and callouts, and it's nice if the department allows team guys PT time during patrol hours.
    Last edited by DepTroop; 11-23-2016, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KKING382 View Post
      Our department is looking to start an SRT team and are going to be sending some officers to schools as they come available. I have heard of several different PT standards for entering teams for departments as well as entering these schools. If your department host a school or if you wish you disclose your PT standards for SRT/SWAT I would appreciate it. Thank you.
      The standard would also depend on what your team will be doing. In my neck of the woods, SRT is a riot/crowd control team (think riot gear with batons and shields, while SWAT is a full on tactical assault element tasked with hostage situations, barricaded subjects, high-risk warrant service, active shooter, etc. Physical requirements vary.

Comment

Thank you. I have recently submitted a grant for a multi agency task force and we are trying to put together a criteria for making the team.

Comment

I'm happy to help. Feel free to ask any more questions here or over PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7700 users online. 412 members and 7288 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X