300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training Ideas/Rookie Downfalls

I am a Lieutenant Explorer and I am gettin ready to leave for the academy soon. I was wondering what experienced officers and FTO's view as a training topic that rookies normally need to work on? I dont want to be a rookie that comes out of the academy and is unprepared in the eyes of my coworkers.

And does anyone have any ideas for what I can start training my explorers in to better prepare them? I am from a small post with little departmental backing. We have one advisor and maybe two meetings a month. I get ideas together for our advisor to train us on and am looking for some new ideas. Help would be greatly appreciated

I haven't been to the Academy, but I have noticed most videos i've seen of people getting pepper sprayed seemed to go crazy when it happens. I was thinking of buying some at Wal-Mart and trying to acclimate myself to it. I figure the more i get acclimated, the better off i'll be when it accidentally goes off in my face.
    "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Originally posted by LCPLPunk
      I haven't been to the Academy, but I have noticed most videos i've seen of people getting pepper sprayed seemed to go crazy when it happens. I was thinking of buying some at Wal-Mart and trying to acclimate myself to it. I figure the more i get acclimated, the better off i'll be when it accidentally goes off in my face.

Why would any Marine call himself a punk?
      Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

Because i'm not, nor have been a Marine. I used to play an online RPG game with that name about 15 years ago and i've used the name since..
        "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Originally posted by LCPLPunk
          I was thinking of buying some at Wal-Mart and trying to acclimate myself to it.

Haha, not a bad idea but I would LOVE to see that. Make sure you do it in your driveway so all the neighbors can see...

Comment

Originally posted by mcar486
            I am a Lieutenant Explorer and I am gettin ready to leave for the academy soon. I was wondering what experienced officers and FTO's view as a training topic that rookies normally need to work on? I dont want to be a rookie that comes out of the academy and is unprepared in the eyes of my coworkers.
            In order, the top 3 that bounce people seem to be Officer safety, geography, and report writing (don't ask, LE writing style is pretty simple I know).

You will be as prepared as the rest of the guys/gals that are graduating with you, so I wouldn't sweat any additional training. You will be given all of the tools you need to get through probation.

Our departments pass rate is %85, I'm not sure of what the national average is though. All you have to do is take the constructive criticism to heart, fix it, and don't repeat the same mistakes to many times.

It's designed for you to pass. Congrats on getting hired!

Comment

I would defintely say officer safety and report writting. Our department is so big on these. We have cool toys now in our car to navigate so geography isnt too bad here. Id just be on my toes and on my best behavior professionalism is also a must. Good luck!
              ‎"I'm angry. It's okay. I'll process my anger. I love myself. Whoosah.

Comment

#1 Officer survival or safety

#2 Getting comfortable with the radio

#3 Knowing the geography

#4 Being keen and ready jump in and get experience

#5 Being confident with taking statements (many newbies are atrocious)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4161 users online. 198 members and 3963 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X