300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADVICE needed: Flight Training

I was looking into going to helicopter flight training...but would like to hear from anyone out there that has taken the steps to learn to fly. Is it better to do straight helicopter, or move from fixed wing to helicopter??? What are the costs like for both? I have found one local flight school, that costs just under $10,000 for helicopter non-commercial. Is that average? Are there any governmental grants available to help with the cost? Are the helicopter simulator programs any good? Are there any LEO specifics flight training courses to add on? Thanks for any help!

I would look into fix winged first for training. You are going to be getting the same basic from that as helo's ground school all that crap. Might be cheaper and easy way to log some hours before moving to chopper some of the hours might float over I dont know for sure.
    Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

lake law,

If it was only going to be under 10,000, i would go and get the helicopter rating, but do not, I repeat do not try to drag it out over a long period of time. Find a couple of weeks where you will be able to just go about 3-4 times a weeks for a lesson. And as far as I know single engine land hours do not float over to helicopter time, because they share nothing in common. Hope this helps-Steve

Comment

Thank you for the advice. I have had several people telling me to go to fixed wing first, but honestly I have no interest in that. I've flown several of my friends planes and it just doesn't appeal to me. I go for challenges, and helicopters are certainly that! Anyone read the book by Shawn Coyle, The Art & Science of Flying Helicopters? I've heard that would be a good start as well. THANKS AGAIN!

Comment

There is a reason that the military puts student pilots through fixed wing primary flight before helo primary. It is easier to learn the basics of flight from what I am told by experienced military aviators. I am an in the Marines officer candidates program as an aviation selection. I'm hoping to fly Cobra's one day, and my info is coming from Marine helo pilots.

Comment

Originally posted by ddraniczarek
            There is a reason that the military puts student pilots through fixed wing primary flight before helo primary. It is easier to learn the basics of flight from what I am told by experienced military aviators. I am an in the Marines officer candidates program as an aviation selection. I'm hoping to fly Cobra's one day, and my info is coming from Marine helo pilots.
            Thanks dd, appreciate the response. I have been speaking with a friend of mine who is in charge of his aviation unit at his department, and he said he did fixed wing prior to helo as well. But...he also said, if someone takes the time to read up, and get well versed on flight sim equipment...they seem to be just as well prepared. If I was closer to a flight training center it wouldn't be such an issue, I just don't have the time to travel all the time. Thanks again!

Comment

i'm an ex military helicopter pilot and having been through both fixed wing and rotary wing training, i'd say go straight for your rotary wing rating. I mean if thats what you want why beat about the bush? Flying airplanes did help a bit with the basics but flying a helo was almost like learning to fly all over again. much more complex. this is just my opinion, i would have rather have just gone straight to advanced helicopter training, but i dont regret either way. Others may have a different opinion.

Comment

If a flight school tells you $10,000 dont believe it. 40 hour min for helicopter private rating. With the rising cost of fuel an R-22 with instructor will probably cost you at least $225 and hour for actual flight time, and don't forget as soon as you walk through the front doors the clock starts on the instructors time. Also something else to think about is that most helicopter schools wont let you rent an R-22 due to insurance reasons so once you get your license it's going to be hard to build up flight time.

Comment

I may be a bit biased, but there are only a few places that train helo pilots that I'd trust to be safe:

US Army
                  US Air Force
                  US Navy
                  US Marine Corps
                  US Coast Guard

I'm not climbing in any helo unless the pilot was trained through their programs.

Comment

Originally posted by SA13
                    I may be a bit biased, but there are only a few places that train helo pilots that I'd trust to be safe:

US Army
                    US Air Force
                    US Navy
                    US Marine Corps
                    US Coast Guard

I'm not climbing in any helo unless the pilot was trained through their programs.

I agree 100%.

Comment

Currious

Tell me this, you would not fly with a factory trained test pilot if they were not prior military??

Comment

FLIGHT INSTRUCTORS PAY........the following was posted:If a flight school tells you $10,000 dont believe it. 40 hour min for helicopter private rating. With the rising cost of fuel an R-22 with instructor will probably cost you at least $225 and hour for actual flight time, and don't forget as soon as you walk through the front doors the clock starts on the instructors time. Also something else to think about is that most helicopter schools wont let you rent an R-22 due to insurance reasons so once you get your license it's going to be hard to build up flight time.

I know alot if IP's that do not charge for pre/post briefings. Every one I know here in ST louis rents to people that complete their programs. Even in R22's if they go to the factory safety course.

Btw, I teach at one of the St Louis area schools.

Comment

Originally posted by helicfi View Post
                          Tell me this, you would not fly with a factory trained test pilot if they were not prior military??
                          No, I would not.

What do you say we just agree to disagree on this topic, because nothing you say is going to change my mind, and nothing I say is going to change yours.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4140 users online. 192 members and 3948 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X