300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training Rank

My department is looking into adding Corporal to the rank structure. The captain has asked me to get some info from other departments on thier policy and duties of the corporal. Our corporal's primary duty will be training, FTO etc. Secondary duty will be a shift supervisor to assist Sgt's. We need some guidlines/job descriptions that are already in place to help the captain push it through.

Thanks
    stamus contra malum

Looks like you P!ssing up a rope, so ill offer you this, Cpl is a gimme rank in most departments, comes with a 2 or 3% pay hike and represents longevity. some departments give it up after 7 years, some 10 years.

i guess i dont see the point in assigning rank to someone based on their position in the department as a FTO or instructor of some sorts. i started as a Firearms instructor/FTO/LL Force/Chemical Munitons instructor 3 years after i started as a PO, i tested for the firearms instructor and was assigned all the others based on that test and my ability to put up with the old guys. If the department would have assigned me a rank based on my instructor status i would have taken a lot of crap and i think i would have lost some of my credibility, not that i had much at that point anyway. I could shoot, knew a little about firearms and i have a semi sparkeling personality. thats enough. on the range, i am incharge regardless of your rank. the sign says so, big bold print at the entrance "Dont confuse your rank with my ability to kick you out of hear and write you up." Signed Range Master and endorsed by the Chief of Police. If your looking for rank because you think it gives you more credibility, try shooting perfect everytime and being a subject matter expert in your field. stripes are for Sgt's, they should be earned through testing.

Just a thought.
    It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      I understand that some departments just throw corporal at the folks that have been there for a while and thats the only reason. I also know that some departments actually give the rank to deserving officers. We are looking at assigning the rank on merit/ability not longevity. Just looking for examples of departments that have that same idea and a guidline in place.
      stamus contra malum

Comment

My last department had FTO on each shift for training they were not considered a supervisor but would act as supervisor if some reason the Sergeant and Corporal were out. My department now has MPO's on shift as training officers. We don't have Corporals just Sergeants.
        Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

JDCOP:

Thanks for the info. I will be in TN in August for a family reunion. During that time I hope to check out Washington County and surrounding agencies. Looking to see if a move to TN would be worth it or not.

Thanks again for the feedback.
          stamus contra malum

Comment

Speedcuffer,

Just wondering is the rank just going to be "Given" to qualified officers, or is this actually a promotional test? I believe a county agency in NY uses corporals as road patrol supervisors. Sergeants are all detectives.

As for my place we are a smaller agency and have a Lt. and a Sgt. assigned as supervisors for each shift, if neither is working the senior officer is in charge of the shift(OIC). FTO's are regular patrol officers and are selected and trained for that position. We may have some FTO's who have never been OIC.
            "A society that wages war against it's police, had better learn to make friends with it's criminals."

Comment

Lawdawg:
              The rank would be given to qualified deputy(s). As far as our department goes we don't have a testing procedure for any rank or promotion. I'm guessing the reason is a belief that we are not a large enough agency to use testing. We are a small agency and have a patrol capatain and three patrol sgt's. Right now all "rank" works day shift. There are no official swing or grave shift supervisors at this time.
              stamus contra malum

Comment

Speedcuffer,
                Does no promotional test cause problems with the deputies? Maybe thinking a promotion was not earned. By the way my wife is from your neck of the woods.
                "A society that wages war against it's police, had better learn to make friends with it's criminals."

Comment

Lawdawg:
                  I'm not sure that not testing specifically has effected the deputies. However some of the past decisions for promotion has. Some have been given a command or supervisory position because of who they know not what they know or simply for the ability to do the job. That has bothered a lot of the troops. Luckily our new patrol captain was apointed by a board based on his experience and leadership qualities.

(A by the way back....I'm originally from Upstate New York) Small world.
                  stamus contra malum

Comment

at my PD the Corpral rank is used as an officer in charge when the Sgt is not in, and also is the rover man unassigned to any particuler district. is an FTO most of the time so that he can be a 'backup/teacher' when needed for the other zone officers. Basicly shares the duties with the sargent- but answers to the sargent like all others under that shift.

I knwo thiis is really late to post- but wanted to put in my two cents.
                    Updated on: 12/28/09

Comment

My departmant has FTO's, but we also have PFC and MPO (patrolman 1st class and Master Police Officer). FTO can be given the job after a few years and attending FTO school. PFC and MPO is granted based on longevity, training and educational acheivements. 5% for FTO's and PFC, 10% for MPO. No corporal since it seems redundant.
                      Jerry
                      "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

Originally posted by Speedcuffer View Post
                        My department is looking into adding Corporal to the rank structure. The captain has asked me to get some info from other departments on thier policy and duties of the corporal. Our corporal's primary duty will be training, FTO etc. Secondary duty will be a shift supervisor to assist Sgt's. We need some guidlines/job descriptions that are already in place to help the captain push it through.

Thanks

try this -ala LAPD example .(LAPD does NOT have a corporal position per se,but the position of "P-3",or Police officer III,which is usually an FTO or senior Lead officer.There are local suburban PDs that have a "corporal" position ,like Pomona ,Ca PD- but the Cpl position is a part time supervisor,training officer,and lead officer)

min(4) yrs patrol experience.Must show proficiency in all aspects of basic patrol functions,strong knowledge of dept policy and procedures.Strong public speaking and writing ability.History of satisfactory work record.Must attend a min.(40) hr certified FTO school.you can also request a min. of an AA/AS degree if your Dept doesn't have that standard already

The Dept can come up with a test and internal interview process and ,from a Union stand point,the process should be open to all sworn personnel that qualify.Make sure that the position is a paid full time position ( min.5% to 7.5%,so as not to conflict with potential Sgts pay and cause grievances) and pension based.Also,this position is of a benefit to the Dept,so the Union or officers association shouldn't have to give up anything in terms of rases or beneifts for this position.

Unfortunately(IMO) that should be the standard,but even in my city Dept,we hire based on need and willingness rather than the ABOVE.We are growing so fast,'til we literally have the "babies teaching babies".alot of "2"yr wonders are attaining the position,poorly training people and GROWNIG ARROGANT in the position-just waiting for a bad decision or bad UOF to see these clowns BURN.Nothing beats time or experience in the job-NOTHING
                        "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Our FTO program is a big mess. There has been talk of making it a rank, making it a necessary step toward sgt. by giving FTO's one or two points on promotional tests and making FTO's corporals. Right now, for putting out between 50 and 100 recruits a month, who have to complete a three month cycle of riding with an FTO, our department only has about 130-140 FTO's on the street. Our contract has expired and it seems that most of the brass and the city does not know what to do with us. This seems to be the case in many other departments. My suggestion is that it should be made a rank. I cannot tell you how many times I come on a job and everyone already there are scratching their heads as to what to do next, including the sgt., but when they see me they say, "Hey, let's ask the FTO. He'll know."

Good luck with it. I don't see your task as easy, especially if you are a bigger department.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6019 users online. 312 members and 5707 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X