300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving skills

Hi I hope to join the academy this August. I know that in police work some cops are better in certain areas than others. To be honest I'm concerned with my driving skills....the high-speed pusuits, cornering and stopping the subjects. I just don't want to cause additional problems, harm anyone or myself. Is this skill something I will learn in the academy? Is there anything I can do now? I bet you all are laughing!

Laura

Don't stress..they will teach you the tricks of the trade. Listen to your instructor and you will be fine. Driving and shooting are the most enjoyable part of the academy.

You will become more confident the more you drive...especially when YOU finally get to chase the "rabbit" car.

Driving your POV like a patrol car isn't recommended.

And if you crash..you are strapped in like a racecar driver.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Deputy X 2 is 100% correct Laura.

I teach both both shooting and driving at my academy and I have gotten recruits that just got their driving license a couple of months before starting the academy. Just listen to the instructors read your manuals and pay attention and you will do just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by shootingteacher
        Deputy X 2 is 100% correct Laura.

I teach both both shooting and driving at my academy and I have gotten recruits that just got their driving license a couple of months before starting the academy. Just listen to the instructors read your manuals and pay attention and you will do just fine.

But I think he is more worried about after the academy.A good FTO should help you alot.I don't use alot of the stuff I was taught in the academy because it was not real life.Driving with both hands is great in a pursuit for a partnered unit,but if you are solo you have to drive with a single hand and work the mic with the other............never got any training in that.
        FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4666 users online. 201 members and 4465 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X