Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone going to Northern VA training academy

It's great being in the Academy.
    Last edited by jack78; 02-26-2007, 04:11 PM.

related thread:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58988

Jack,

As I mentioned on the previous thread, I cannot offer specific advice about the Northern VA Academy. Perhaps someone will be along shortly, who can. What I can offer though, is some general advice, which would apply anywhere.

Generally speaking, most academies are "quasi military." Some more than others. Hopefully, you've prepared yourself mentally, as well as physically. Please don't make the mistake of thinking the academy will whip you into shape. It will not! You need to be in shape when you get there. The last thing you want is to draw any unnecessay attention to yourself, by being last in PT.

Same goes for academics, shooting, and driving.

Good luck to you
    "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Originally posted by jack78
      Hi
      Finally after all the hard work, I got accepted at Falls church Police department. Looks and sounds like a great department. I would like to know if anyone out here is attending the academy on Feb 2007. Please suggest me how the Academy will be, what to expect and how survive.

Jack
      which department in NOVA?
      "Damned if you do and damned if you dont"

Comment

Originally posted by DPS55
        which department in NOVA?
        I believe that would be the "Falls Church Police department"
        "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Originally posted by exComptonCop
          I believe that would be the "Falls Church Police department"
          Sorry about that thanks
          "Damned if you do and damned if you dont"

Comment

Thank you very much for your advice.

Comment

Originally posted by jack78
              Hi
              Finally after all the hard work, I got accepted at Falls church Police department. Looks and sounds like a great department. I would like to know if anyone out here is attending the academy on Feb 2007. Please suggest me how the Academy will be, what to expect and how survive.

Jack
              Does Falls Church PD still drive Volvos? When I lived in Fairfax, (@ 16 years ago) I never could understand why when all the others at the time were driving Chevy Impalas or Plymouth Grand Furys.

All I ever wanted to do was law enforcement, and was ecstatic when I finally got on. As far as the academy, my advice to anyone is 1) keep your eyes and ears open, 2) ask good questions, 3) take good notes, and most of all, remember that the number one goal in law enforcement is to go home at the end of your shift in the same condition you came to work in (less maybe some minor wear and tear). One of our instructors said "In law enforcement, there are two kinds of people: cops and suspects. If they are not wearing the badge, then they are suspect." Be suspicious of anyone not wearing the badge. I am by no means an expert, there are alot of cops that have done the job MUCH longer than I have, but that is the best advice I could give.

Good luck with the academy, congrats, and be safe.
              When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
              From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Comment

Nvcja

Thread,

I attended that NVCJA in 1999 with the Arlington CO. SO. Make sure you have your act together. There very strict ( uniforms ironed every day, shoes shined, no lint or strings hanging ) also, they willn't put up with any crap. Show up on time with everything they ask, don't stand out ( class clown) and study for the practicals. It may have changed a little since I have been there, but if you fail one practical your gone. Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5333 users online. 225 members and 5108 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X