Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My rotating ASP holder is behind the gun, with a keeper in between. There's also a keeper between my cuff case and the front of the holster. I carry a 1911 TRP in a Safariland rotating hood duty holster and with the keepers on either side of it, no other equipment has interfered with the holster.

Nobody told me where to put it; that's just where it fits and where I can get to it with my strong hand. Pepper spray is at the left front where I can access it with either hand.
    Smile Our GOD is a consuming fire! Heb 12:29

No one is entirely above the law, or entirely beneath its protection.

Rule 1: At the end of every shift, I'm going home to my kitty cats.

Comment

cross draw from the rt(i'm a lefty with a level II retention holster for my sidearm) and rt in front of the radio,ut the OC holder and canister is in front of the Auto lock we carry).would perfer to carry that larger Smith and wesson type asp.looks and is built more like a "real" straight baton- but stuck with the car antannae they call a collapsible baton( auto locks have a 1" rubber covered end so as not to scratch or cut ,unlike the Asp when its tip gets nicked or chipped)-better to me in terms of weapon transitioning and you can hold the baton in your off hand while still able to hol a fire arm in your primary hand-plus this is closer to the regulation specifications per the LAPD dress manual. basic sam brown layout-(firearm/holster) +4 keepers+ (2)x2 magazine holders=60add'l rds+ 2 hand cuff cases(peerless,10 oz) +auto lock baton and holder+ motorola astro radio and holder+OC canister and holder+belt loop for add'l PR-24(only carried for UOs,crowd control deployment details)."yes"-damned heavy,but necessary,considering its L.A.
      "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by 116_UOB
        Well here's the way I think of it....

When you need your baton or O.C. , a split second difference may not mean a whole lot. When you need your gun though, every hundreth of a second counts....so why even risk anything getting in the way at all? All it takes is a little getting use to the baton on your support side.Thats just me and what works for me, personally.....I understand everyones got thier own ways, i'm not trying to criticize any one way....thats just the thoughts that go through my head.
        agreed! We are all trained to strike with batons in our "weak hand",( and the power of the blow is not going to be that much less)
        "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38
          (2)x2 magazine holders=60add'l rds
          Am I reading correctly that you carry 2 magazine pouches for a total of 4 mags on your person?? If so, where do you carry the second one. If not, it's not as crazy as it sounds. I remember watching a few episodes of LAPD: On The Inside on the Discovery Channel a few years ago and saw A LOT of LAPD guys with two pouches.
          Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

I carry mine behind my gun. The OC is a different story. I carry that on the weak side. It is in case I have to go from guns to pepper I can do it at the same time. I have had to do this in the past and it works great. I have used my baton in 10 years....ONCE.....all other times pepper or empty hand control was enough.
            Anyone who believes "the customer is always right" has never been a police officer.

Comment

Just remember, for those of you who have struck a person with a baton one up, they aren't (often) that effective.

In most situations i'd use gas. (wind allowing)

If you need an option that quick you probably shouldn't be going for the asp anyway. (situational dependant)

So placement isn't always that big a deal.

Obviously for those of you that feel weapon side placement could slow your firearm draw you would go for different placement.

As we can see from all the opinions here, it comes down to individual preference.

Therefore wear it where you feel you have the best possible placement, taking into account all the pros and cons as you see them.

If you chose to move your placement then drill yourself into drawing it from the new location to create the muscle memory.

Be safe.
              The officer doesn't carry his sword in vain, he's a minister of God to carry out justice. Romans 13

Comment

Shouldn't you carry it where YOU feel comfortable with it? Everyone can't have the same SOP for their gun belts. I carry my ASP behind my gun as a matter of comfort and I can reach it. In the academy, we were trained to carry it on the reaction side, but with my gas mask/escape hood on the same side, it was too heavy on that side. We already have to carry so much on there, it should be what you like.

Comment

In the academy i know they tell you that keeping it on your defensive side is better because you can immediately draw it and hit at the same time with a backhand swing as where having it on the strong side, you'd have to pull it out, snap it open and swing. We use PR-24's and the logic is the same.

Comment

Thats where I keep mine, I like it, it is outta the way, and hell you will never have your asp out while your gun is out. I am a 36" waist and it fits on the belt well with 2 pairs of cuffs, pepper spray, radio, tazer, mags, gun, rubber gloves, and multi tool...
                    Play hard, play fair, and above all play safe!

Comment

I carry my asp on my support side, opposite to my firearm - thinking is you can transition from baton to fireman faster.....my 2 cents!

Comment

Im w/the cross draw half of this thread. NOTHING on the gun side except the gun. 3X Retention SSIII makes it kinda hard to focus on anything 'cept the gun. I personally like the idea of ready to dance with my off hand, and ready to cash the check with my strong hand.
                        When your fun ends, my fun begins

Comment

Rt side behind firearm. Works well for me. In my tactical gear, I am still trying to find something efficient, on the right side it catches in my carrier. I have been carrying it in my carrier, in one of the rifle mag pouches lately. Just my .02 worth.

Comment

Originally posted by maninblue109
                            I carry my asp on my support side, opposite to my firearm - thinking is you can transition from baton to fireman faster.....my 2 cents!
                            Hmm, if the situation is that dire that you need to go from baton to gun then putting your baton in its scabbard should be the last thing on your mind.

I'd suggest dropping it or switching hands before drawing would be what you would do naturally.

After that if you have the peace of mind to put the baton away you'd be best to stuff it down your pants or slip it into your belt.

Testing has proven that you save precious tenths of seconds by dropping the item and drawing the firearm, however this causes obvious issues with possibly precluding that item from you arsenal or losing it to the suspect.

At the end of the day though your baton placement comes down to your preference and your training thus far.
                            Last edited by Modzilla; 04-07-2007, 05:28 AM.
                            The officer doesn't carry his sword in vain, he's a minister of God to carry out justice. Romans 13

Comment

Originally posted by towncop
                              Am I reading correctly that you carry 2 magazine pouches for a total of 4 mags on your person?? If so, where do you carry the second one. If not, it's not as crazy as it sounds. I remember watching a few episodes of LAPD: On The Inside on the Discovery Channel a few years ago and saw A LOT of LAPD guys with two pouches.

btwn the 2 handcuff cases on the rear of the sam brown( points up to the small of your back) I'm 6'3 and 42" waist so it all fits -carry my 2" 38 revolver in one of my pockets and my spyderco knife in my opposite "sap" pocket on my pants and have an add'l stinger flashlite on the belt in a carrier.Sad but alot of times when we make veh stops and find gangsters with guns,they often have add'l mags also.The recent "Ambush" shooter of two Long Beach,CA PD coppers had add'l mags with his .40 cal handgun,and was killed several days later in a gunfight with officers while attempting to reload and sustain his ability to fire back............

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M.
                                In my book nothing, absolutely nothing, should be behind your gun. Everything else should be from over the right rear pocket (in the case of a right-hander) then go left towards the front. Nothing should be on the gun side, but your gun. Get used to drawing out everything else...mags, OC spray, ASP or other impact weapon, keys, flashlight or radio with your non-gun hand.

Many times, I've seen OC spray, ASP, or handcuff cases get too close to the holster, this is really dangerous when it's a triple retention-type holster. It's courting disaster, in my opinion.

ditto- just watched one of those "police action shows" onSpike TV- somewhere in the south a Deputy got "punched up " by a drunk and resisting suspect and all he ( the deputy ) could react and go for was the gun-kept wondering WHY this guy didn't deploy his baton or OC-well, he had oc but must of been scared and his Baton( asp) was behind his gun! had the attacker continued it would have been a physical struggle for the gun or an OIS-unjustified for the "threat" level faced.keeping everytinh opposite WORKS and is safer.I can draw strong hand ( gun hand) or weak hand my Baton and still have a better chance to transition to my fire arm than if I had my autolock behind my firearm............

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8566 users online. 421 members and 8145 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X