300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting Drills (On the Cheap)

Hey people I am looking for some different kinds of shooting drills to teach to the new people as well as those struggling at my department. Any Ideas would be great but I have a limited budget for training (actually almost non- existant). Drills I am looking for should consist of just a few rounds per course of fire so repetition will not eat up a lot of ammo. I use both paper qualification type targets as well as cardboard IPSC targets so I can creat a multi target environment.

I am also willing to share the lesson plans I have written so far for others who are doing the same thing.
    stamus contra malum

Originally posted by Speedcuffer
    Hey people I am looking for some different kinds of shooting drills to teach to the new people as well as those struggling at my department. Any Ideas would be great but I have a limited budget for training (actually almost non- existant). Drills I am looking for should consist of just a few rounds per course of fire so repetition will not eat up a lot of ammo. I use both paper qualification type targets as well as cardboard IPSC targets so I can creat a multi target environment.

I am also willing to share the lesson plans I have written so far for others who are doing the same thing.

what are they struggling with exactly, quals?

otherwise, dime drills.

3 round mags, and mag changes.

instinctive shooting...hell i dont care what anyon else says, a Airsoft and coke can can help you.
    The proper drinking of Scotch whisky is more than indulgence: it is a toast to civilization, a tribute to the continuity of culture, a manifesto of man’s determination to use the resources of nature to refresh mind and body and enjoy to the full the senses with which he has been endowed

Comment

To become fully proficient at instinctive shooting requires mass repetition of rounds etc and i'm not sure his budget allows for that.

Best to teach them to aim using the front sight for reactive shooting and concentrate on the fundamentals.
      The officer doesn't carry his sword in vain, he's a minister of God to carry out justice. Romans 13

Comment

Dot drills-- shoot the dot out.

Failure drills- two to the body, one to the head!
        This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by stangfather
          what are they struggling with exactly, quals?

otherwise, dime drills.

3 round mags, and mag changes.

instinctive shooting...hell i dont care what anyon else says, a Airsoft and coke can can help you.
          Yep, no doubt. Threat engagement and movement is critical as well. Our Firearms Instructor focuses on these two by having us stand about five feet in front of the paper...interview stance...empty ammo boxes in each hand to simulate pen and notepad...on the "threat" command we have to drop our boxes...unholster while moving laterally (protect vital line)...and deliver rounds at the threat as fast and furious as possible (hopefully center mass)...while continuing our movement. Great drill for real life, "when shi+ hits the fan" scenarios. Hell, we can all deliver rounds 10X from the 7 yard line sight shooting...it's the "when the shi+ hits the fan" stuff I need to work on.

Comment

Originally posted by jdlong
            Yep, no doubt. Threat engagement and movement is critical as well. Our Firearms Instructor focuses on these two by having us stand about five feet in front of the paper...interview stance...empty ammo boxes in each hand to simulate pen and notepad...on the "threat" command we have to drop our boxes...unholster while moving laterally (protect vital line)...and deliver rounds at the threat as fast and furious as possible (hopefully center mass)...while continuing our movement. Great drill for real life, "when shi+ hits the fan" scenarios. Hell, we can all deliver rounds 10X from the 7 yard line sight shooting...it's the "when the shi+ hits the fan" stuff I need to work on.
            Good drill, i run the same thing. But this user is looking for drills for people that are struggling, this drill is more advanced.
            The officer doesn't carry his sword in vain, he's a minister of God to carry out justice. Romans 13

Comment

Originally posted by Modzilla
              Good drill, i run the same thing. But this user is looking for drills for people that are struggling, this drill is more advanced.
              Good point, a little too advanced. I was focusing on "on the cheap". Like you said, it's a great drill that requires nothing more on the range than a few items to hold in the hands. Maybe he/she will consider it for future drills.

Comment

Beamhit 115 system.

An initial investment of a few hundred dollars allows you as the trainer to work with officers skills. They say that dryfire practice is one of the best ways to improve and maintain skills, Beamhit systems provide positive feadback to officers, which keeps them interested.

PM me if you want any other info on Beamhit.
                FAILING TO TRAIN = TRAINING TO FAIL

Comment

Thanks for the response.

I have tried three times to respond. Each time I do the PC shuts down...lol

The people I am currently training are struggling with the Qualifications.
                  stamus contra malum

Comment

Dry fire is a bad word. Dry practice is what you are wanting. I am posting an e-mail I sent out about 4 months ago to every shooter in my department. Those who did as instructed improved dramatically. Those who did not got the message and are now on board.

Here is the e-mail verbatim.

Safety – These drills are to be done with an EMPTY gun. Start by unloading the gun and then VISUALY and PHISICALY inspecting the chamber and all other areas of the gun insuring that their are no live rounds in or attached to the gun. Then take all three of your magazines and unload them. Place the live ammo in another room, away from where you are going to be practicing. VISUALY and PHISICALY inspect the gun and your mags again to ensure that ALL live ammo has been removed.

Target – Take a 3 x 5 card and with a red, or any other bright color marker, make a circle the size of a quarter in the middle of the card (a small sticky note can be substituted for the card and dot). This is your target. The target in only brought out into view once ALL the ammo is removed from the room and safety checks are done. This is so you are not tempted to start practicing before the safety checks are done. The target should be placed approx 5-7 yards away from you.

Backstop – Place the target on a backstop that will not allow a bullet to pass through it in case you failed to do all of your safety checks and have a negligent discharge. I said negligent because if you failed to do your safety check there is nothing accidental about it. FYI – if you do have a N.D. policy requires you to contact your supervisor ASAP and to right a report if requested to do so.

Dry Practice – Aim the gun at the target. Place your finger on the trigger and apply steady reward pressure on the face of the trigger. Your eye should be focused on the FRONT SIGHT with the target blurry behind it. As the trigger travels steadily to the rear the front sight should not move. The hammer should fall as a surprise to you as you are just adding steady pressure not pulling the trigger and with your eye focused on the FRONT SIGHT you should not see the hammer as it releases and falls. The first few times you do this you will see the front sight move. This movement is what we are trying to remove from the firing sequence. To do this correctly you have to make sure that your grip, stance, breathing, sight alignment, sight picture and trigger control are all correct. If you have a flinch, this simple drill with identify it and train it out of you. You are building muscle memory.

Reloading drill - Now take your EMPTY magazines and put one into the gun and the other two into the pouch on your belt (I forgot to tell you that you need to be wearing your duty belt). Stand so that you are facing a bed or couch so that when you drop a mag it will land on the couch or bed and not on the floor. This way you do not have to bend over to pick up the mags and thus save time and possible damage to the mags. Now as you press the magazine release button on the gun and the empty mag that was in the gun starts to fall reach for a mag in the pouch, remove it and insert it into the gun. Then repeat, collect the mags off of the bed and put them back into the pouch. Your goal is to be smooth. Smooth = Speed. Your gun should be held at eye level not lowered to your waist line. This way it is easier for you to see the gun in you peripheral vision. You should not be looking at your gun when reloading it; you should be looking at your target or scanning for other threats. Again we are building muscle memory. You will know you have mastered this when you can do two smooth and fast reloads with your eyes closed or in the dark. It is better to do this in the dark so you do not train yourself to close your eyes when reloading. That would be bad mussel memory.

Now do the same reloading drill but do a tactical reload. A tactical reload ALWAYS starts with you removing a mag from your pouch. Bring the mag up to your gun and then release the mag that is in the gun. Capture that mag and then insert the “fresh” mag. Place the “depleted” mag in a pocket or other safe place on your person. The large cargo pockets on your uniform pants works well.

You can incorporate your draw into any of these drills. Again smooth = speed. Incorporating your draw lets you mix things up a little so that the drill is not boring. Draw, do two good clean presses of the trigger then reload, scan and reholster. Do this 5-8 times and you’re done.

You should only dry practice 10-15 times (pull the trigger) in double action followed by 10-15 times single action then end the session. Do not do this drill for hours on end. You are just fatiguing your hand and not getting good training anymore. This should be done every day for about a week or until you start to see an improvement. Then do this drill every other day for a week or two. Then do this drill before work on your Monday and at the end of work on your Friday. Then only when you feel you are slipping up on your skills. You know you have mastered this drill when you can balance a penny on the top of the front sight and pull the trigger and the penny does not fall off (yes I had to show my old Range Master supervisor that I could do that with my Beretta. It took a long time but it can be done).

Once you are done with your dry practice for the session start by taking your target down and putting it in a drawer or some place where you can not see it anymore. Here is the problem. Some guys finish, reload there gun and then for some stupid reason think to themselves “I need to dry practice once more.” And they put a bullet into something that they did not want to because they “dry practiced” with a loaded gun. So put the target out of sight so you are not tempted. This is also why we make a target and do not use door knobs or light switches as targets. If you NEED to load your gun at this point do. If you do not NEED to load the gun leave loading it till later when your brain is not on pulling the trigger. If you NEED to load the gun load it and then put it away. Do not handle the gun till later if it can be avoided.

Dry practice should not cause any damage to your gun. Older guns were not built as well as modern handguns. If you are concerned about possible damage then go to a gun store and by a .40 snap cap. They are cheep and last for a long time. If I remember correctly they come in packs of 5. So if one person buys a pack they can split it up with others.

If you have any questions about this get a hold of me first. If you are uncomfortable with this drill do not do it. This is just a simple proven way to improve your shooting abilities without having to go to the range.

Comment

Seems like an ok drill.

1 thing on safety though, maybe you should consider removing rounds and clearing mags prior to entering the the dry practise area, this minimises the chance of a person loading out of habit, or because they're dumb!

Standard practise at my work.

Then inspect weapons onthe line and clear mags/pouches, have them check their pockets as well.

And while we're on dry practise, my pass mark is 100% and we removed a warm up shoot some time ago and replaced it with dry practise.

The DP takes about 20 mins and includes all fundamemtals, drawing, sight picture/alighnment, stance (discussion), grip, single handed, reloading etc.

Costs nothing and improves members skill level prior to live fire.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9888 users online. 474 members and 9414 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X