Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brazilian ju-jitsu seems to be big with the grapping crowd. And every fight I've been in went to the ground, or floor, or whatever.

Me, I'm gonna concentrate on my TASER.
    "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gene L View Post
      Brazilian ju-jitsu seems to be big with the grapping crowd. And every fight I've been in went to the ground, or floor, or whatever.

Me, I'm gonna concentrate on my TASER.
      A taser will definitely beat a "grapper" any day of the week
      "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

I don’t think I’ve seen anybody mention the Philippine martial arts. They are known for their escrema sticks (spelling?) witch directly correlates to baton work. I have to agree with everybody saying how effective grappling is just for the fact that nobody actually knows your really hurting the guy, it looks like your just holding him. I am doing Muay Thai right now, but that is more to get in shape and build confidence to fight than anything else, however I feel striking has its place.

People keep mentioning aikido, witch is a great martial art, but the learning curve is just so long. I used to take a class right after the senior aikido class, and I asked one of their black belts (black dress, whatever) about it and he told me that to use it effectively in a fight, it will take about 10 years of training.

The one thing I’ve noticed when training bjj, is that A LOT of technique puts your weapon in a bad spot, like closed guard. As long as you, every so often, train with that in mind, its my favorite.

Comment

Philippino martial arts are cool, and are great for knife fighting. They are not however ideal for cops. The hand fighting techniques are mostly striking/ trapping oriented. The grappling (dumog) is no more or less effective than the more widely available grappling styles. The stick fighting techniques would get you in trouble of applied to the police baton. The head is the main target in stick fighting, but off limits in most police applications. stick fighting generally involves two subjects fighting w/sticks. In police work if someone wants to fight you with a stick you escalate to the threat/use of deadly force. The same goes with knives. Cops rarely, if ever use knives as a weapon. While the hand v. knife techniques in kali/ escrima/ arnis work well when practiced, If threatened with a edged weapon, the correct response is with a gun. Most cops assaulted with a knife, never saw the knife. In many cases they were unaware that they were stabbed until well after the assault. These arts would be fine to practice, but the best investment of $$$ and time is the style that you apply most frequently, and in the largest variety of situations. IMHO these are the grappling styles.

Comment

Originally posted by CUFFS137 View Post
            Philippino martial arts are cool, and are great for knife fighting. They are not however ideal for cops. The hand fighting techniques are mostly striking/ trapping oriented. The grappling (dumog) is no more or less effective than the more widely available grappling styles. The stick fighting techniques would get you in trouble of applied to the police baton. The head is the main target in stick fighting, but off limits in most police applications. stick fighting generally involves two subjects fighting w/sticks. In police work if someone wants to fight you with a stick you escalate to the threat/use of deadly force. The same goes with knives. Cops rarely, if ever use knives as a weapon. While the hand v. knife techniques in kali/ escrima/ arnis work well when practiced, If threatened with a edged weapon, the correct response is with a gun. Most cops assaulted with a knife, never saw the knife. In many cases they were unaware that they were stabbed until well after the assault. These arts would be fine to practice, but the best investment of $$$ and time is the style that you apply most frequently, and in the largest variety of situations. IMHO these are the grappling styles.
            I talked to the Philippine martial arts guy where I train Muay Thai, who is also a cop, and he is of the idea that a lot of people don’t see the whole picture of striking. You don’t HAVE to strike for the head, there are no bad strikes, as long as there legal. You may notice even the tibia (shin bone) is in the green zone, and even a kick boxer with hardened shins will feel a baton to the shins. I wasn’t saying that Philippine MA is the be all end all system, but its great for stick work.

Another great thing is if you choose to use the empty hand strikes, or even the knife technique, its all the same as the stick stuff. Personally I don’t train in it, but I’m going to take a few classes just to bring my stick work up.

oh ya, this isn’t meant as a dig on you cuffs, its just another take on it.

Comment

The most versitle martial art.....

me personally I enjoyed Jeet Kune Do, it has a good combination of all forms of martial arts as well as grappling.
              Just your friendly neighborhood cable guy.

Comment

tkd as a fighting system
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=_KqUHQzyHFs

aikido combat
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=R8wNjCScMUw

karate demo
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=24SKbTD1Q...elated&search=

if you want to learn to fight, watch this training video
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=psnUAkUgS...elated&search=

just to be fair, heres mma
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=C3DsY6bCx...elated&search=

did i miss anybody? i'm waiting for the hate mail.

Comment

Now that is some funny ****! It made me laugh (and pee a little).

Comment

Originally posted by JsHarmon7 View Post
                    What are some opinions on the most applicable martial art to study for law enforcement. I currently am taking classes in Okinawan Shorin-Kenpo...
                    I took Shorin-Ryu, while I was in Okinawa, I learned a lot of cool stuff but a most of that I can't use on duty. It's way too aggressive, yeah you could make the argument they assualted me first, I just ended the fight quickly and made the apprehension. Trust me been there done that its a huge pain in the butt you have to be read your rights and make a statement after shift when you just want to go home. There are a lot of good things that you can use just keep in mind what you consider excessive force is probably not the same definition that will be used when they monday morning quarterback what went on. By no means think that if the guy has you outclassed that you can't end the fight its always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. I would say learn a lot more trapping, wrestling, and grappling with it will help you in the long run. It won't end the fight immediately but it will save your butt administratively. Off duty its your call, meet force with force.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9618 users online. 312 members and 9306 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X