300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report Writing

Does anyone know of any websites that deal with report writing? I can only find sites that sell report software.
    I think out of 18 weeks of the academy, and four months of FTO, I've had about one hour of training dealing with report writing (some guys on my dept even missed that hour.)
    Any info would be appreciated.

Are you referring to style of writing? Like a format?
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Oooops. After Wi's post I read your profile. 10-22....
      Last edited by BlessedIsHe; 09-01-2006, 09:55 PM.
      That ol' thin line will always be mine.

Comment

Originally posted by ADAM 12
        Does anyone know of any websites that deal with report writing? I can only find sites that sell report software.
        I think out of 18 weeks of the academy, and four months of FTO, I've had about one hour of training dealing with report writing (some guys on my dept even missed that hour.)
        Are you looking for training for yourself to better yourself or are you a trainer looking for information to train officers in your department?

Comment

I had a week of training in the academy, and we get a refresher course once a year held by the detectives.

On so and so date at so and so time, while driving a marked partol unit I was dispatched to blah blah located at so and so.

Upon arrival, I observed such and such. I contacted RP1 who advised............

No further action taken.

or

Report forwarded to investigations.
          "Get this and get it straight! Crime is a sucker's road and those who travel it wind up in the gutter, the prison, or the grave. There's no other end. They never learn."

Comment

Your profile says you have "several years" experience of being a cop and your asking for advice on report writing. Something smells.

Comment

report writing

I don't think hes looking for negative respones from you. It's a good question !

OTE=rookie2812]Your profile says you have "several years" experience of being a cop and your asking for advice on report writing. Something smells.[/QUOTE]

Comment

I don't know about any websites, but I have a book from my Community College "Report Writting for Law Enforcement and Security Personel" Its written by a retired LAPD Sgt. Machuga (spelled something like that). Its a very good book and gives different examples of reports and advice of what to have put in your report.
                “Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway” (John Wayne)

Comment

if you are making drug arrests

if you are making drug arrests, take this class SAFECOPS.com
                  10% of the cops do 90% of the work

Comment

Hey I do not want to mess with anyone but if you are a cop for several years and are not sure how to report write then something is wrong. You are either in a small town where reports are far and few between or I want to know how did you pass training. I was an FTO and all of my trainees took 90% of the paper each day to ensure that they knew how to write.

If I am missing something here, I am sorry. Try a local book store or go to a local college and take a class on report writing. Many agencies offer tuition reimburstment for classes. Also look at other Officer's reports to see how they write. Good luck.
                    Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

Try Looseleaf pub. They have a book or two on report writing. Like Adam 12 said, look at other officers' reports and follow them. Ask your supervisor for help. Isn't that what they are there for?

Comment

Just remember...
                        Who
                        What
                        When
                        Where
                        How
                        Also when I was in training I kept a notebook with GOOD reports in it for all different crimes reported and just changed what needed to be changed and before long it was second nature. Some officers don't really care about their reports but they really matter. Lots of people read them esp. if the case ends up in trial. They are a reflection of you and your agency so GOOD LUCK!

Comment

Probably isn't any of my biz but a book I recommend is:

Police Writing, A guide to the essentials 2005
                          Kelly Rogers Rupp
                          Publisher; Pearson/Prentice Hall
                          ISBN 0-13-098189-3

Comment

Originally posted by 233ladyinblue
                            Just remember...
                            Who
                            What
                            When
                            Where
                            How
                            Don't forget why. Although motive cannot always be determined by the initial investigator, it's usually an element of the crime.

Comment

Report writing

I;ve seen online report writing classes and or information, when I locate it again i'll send you it. Try " Who , What, When, Where and why and how" for now lol
                              Old chief

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8803 users online. 379 members and 8424 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X